Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello All. First post here. The other day my wife started our 2007 FJ 4x4 and all 4 of these lights came on simultaneously. Never happened before. Is this a normal maintenance issue or something more nefarious? Thanks for your advice! I should add: The lights stay on all the time now, even after shifting through different drive modes.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
My 2007 does this every once in a while. When I read the check engine codes, it is for the charcoal canister and sensor. It seems to me that it only happens with the garbage winter blend gasoline we get this time of year. The FJ still runs and drives fine, just without any of the electronic traction aids enabled. When I looked into replacing the part, I recall that it was several hundred dollars, not worth it to me to fix yet. My advice to you is to get the trouble code for the check engine light read with a code reader. It may be the same issue as mine, or it could be something else. From what I understand all of the electronic traction aids are disabled when the check engine light comes on, as an incentive to get the engine checked...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine did this yesterday. I fueled up 2 days ago and noticed I left gas cap off. The lights came on 1/2 mile after I put gas cap back. Today I disconnected the battery for ten minutes, 're connected battery and lights are now all off. Hope yours is as simple. I read another place that the o2 sensors will do this same lights warning. Try dissconecting battery first...

·
Registered
699 Posts
Mine did this yesterday. I fueled up 2 days ago and noticed I left gas cap off. The lights came on 1/2 mile after I put gas cap back. Today I disconnected the battery for ten minutes, 're connected battery and lights are now all off. Hope yours is as simple. I read another place that the o2 sensors will do this same lights warning. Try dissconecting battery first...
Ditto. .. I had the same thing happen to mine... disconnected the battery for 10 minsurance and tighten the gas cap...boom all back to normal.

·
Registered
353 Posts
The problem will be found with a scanner and will be the cause of the "check engine light" ONLY.

The rest of the lights are on because the car uses every bit of information in the engine ecu to calculate "torque". When there's a problem in the engine system (no matter how simple or stupid that it may seem) it can no longer calculate "torque" and shuts off all systems that are controlled by manipulating the throttle. Traction, VSC and the hula dancing FJ are all "adjusted" by manipulating the throttle so they get shut off....

Fix the check engine light and the rest will come back.

YMMV RON

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
I had this happen. I unhooked the battery and stepped on the brake pedal for 10 seconds. This drains all remaining power from system. I then hooked up the battery cable again and lights went out. This was about 3 years ago and they haven`t been back on. I think the computer just gets a hiccup now and then. Hope this helps someone.

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
I had a wheel speed sensor go bad and same lights came on. Had to pay the Stealership $85 to run a diagnostic test that none of the Auto Zone or O'Rielly places could find. Code may lead you to more testing which can get real involved and that leads to more tech time which leads to more$$$$

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yeah, just check the codes and make sure everything is alright. If the car is running alright, it's probably fine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have the same problem, took it to my mechanic and he's getting a code that is pointing to a cam shaft sensor. It still isn't fixed, since he wants to research it before doing any work on it. Since the warning light came on, I'm getting 40 miles less per tank of gas. So what ever it is needs to be fixed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello All. First post here. The other day my wife started our 2007 FJ 4x4 and all 4 of these lights came on simultaneously. Never happened before. Is this a normal maintenance issue or something more nefarious? Thanks for your advice! I should add: The lights stay on all the time now, even after shifting through different drive modes.
I had the same problem. I replaced all 4 O2 sensors, the gas cap, spark plugs and EGR valve. This resulted in the 4 display lights turning off, engine running smoother and notice major improvement in gas usage.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have the same problem, took it to my mechanic and he's getting a code that is pointing to a cam shaft sensor. It still isn't fixed, since he wants to research it before doing any work on it. Since the warning light came on, I'm getting 40 miles less per tank of gas. So what ever it is needs to be fixed.
I had "the lights" and the code indicated the camshaft sensor. Turned out a piece of the camshaft guide broke off, went up the chain (literally) and bent the magnetic fins on the camshaft reluctor. It was diagnosed with a scope looking through the hole where the camshaft sensor mounts, and a mechanic who noticed the slight variance of the fins.

I am sure you will only need a simple fix, but keep this in mind just in case!

Matt B

1 - 12 of 12 Posts