Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
fka Vier something...
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I was mudding the other day and the check engine, and all VSC lights came on while I was driving. I took it to Autozone to get the error codes which all had to do with the emissions evap system.
PO43E
P2401
P2402
P2419
After looking on the forum I had a few options to check.
I cleaned the MAF sensor, check gas cap, check wheel speed sensors, etc... nothing worked.
I had Kwik Kar diagnose it while I was getting my oil changed and they finally figured out that the pressure sensor or evap valve is apparently in a bad location for mudding and can get clogged very easy. They said these are usually behind a fender or something to keep them from getting mud on them. If these lights ever come on for you this should be something to check.
Hope this helps someone!

Attachments

·
Registered
436 Posts
I think this is the first time I've heard of this being a problem, but thank you. I'll have to take a look under there and try to find it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
u have whats known as the evap codes of death in my shop typically requires replacement of the charcoal canister due to either liquid fuel or water intrusion this is a farily common issue on all toyota models with key off evap leak detection systems a dealer can run a automatc evap check via yota laptopbased scan tool to verifie this problem befor droping a few hundred dollars on a canister, to my knowledge their is no way to revive the failed canister.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I took my FJ mudding for the first time a few weeks ago...ended up in some water that was a little deeper than planned (3 feet?). I have the EVAP codes you are talking about, but my check engine light is also on. When I accelerate slowly, I feel sputtering (typically between 1000 and 1500 rpms. When I let go of gas, it goes away. Any thoughts?

·
fka Vier something...
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hopefully you didn't get water in your intake. You probably wouldn't be running at all if you did though.
My problem ending up being an old gas cap. It wasn't keeping the seal. I replaced it with a $5 one from Auto Zone and haven't had a problem since.
Would have cost me $1000 to change out the canister if I listened to the mechanic I took it to. At first he said it was only mud covering the sensor and then the lights came back on and then he said it must be bad.

Maybe you got water or dirt in your gas somehow.

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
cant give much into this one other than I have had mine in some seriously deep mud/swamp and pushing over the hood in water..(I got scuba, an Snorkle) numerous times and have never had any lights codes or issues....
Glad to hear it was a gas cap.. Good to know for if I do have my dash light up like the forth! :cheers:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I took my FJ mudding for the first time a few weeks ago...ended up in some water that was a little deeper than planned (3 feet?). I have the EVAP codes you are talking about, but my check engine light is also on. When I accelerate slowly, I feel sputtering (typically between 1000 and 1500 rpms. When I let go of gas, it goes away. Any thoughts?
Hi,

i got the same problem, how did you solve it?

·
fka Vier something...
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Before spending tons of money to get it checked, make sure the gas cap is tight or buy a replacement if it is old just in case. If the gas cap is not sealed then the emissions sensor thinks there is a leak. It will take awhile for it to reset after you fix the gas cap. Use up the gas you have and refill the tank. The lights should go off after driving for a day or two. If not then there is something more expensive wrong with the emission sensor or charcoal canister.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Before spending tons of money to get it checked, make sure the gas cap is tight or buy a replacement if it is old just in case. If the gas cap is not sealed then the emissions sensor thinks there is a leak. It will take awhile for it to reset after you fix the gas cap. Use up the gas you have and refill the tank. The lights should go off after driving for a day or two. If not then there is something more expensive wrong with the emission sensor or charcoal canister.
i'll try that and be back. thanks mate

1 - 10 of 10 Posts