Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So around six months ago or so i went to Carnigie SRVP to play around in the 4x4 section of the park. Its nothing big, but its enough to get a quick 4 wheeling fix. They have a really big mud pit (Or should i say really dirty water pit) that everyone was playing in, so i figued i would give it a go. Went though a dozen times or so yadda yadda...

Well on the trip back i noticed the temp gauge was climbing, and climbing fast. I remembered the old hot rodders trick of cranking your heater if your car over heats, and it will bring the temp down. It worked well enough to get ime to the power washer. $15 later i thought i was good.

Couple months later i was towing a 14x7 trailer when my rig starting over heating again. After some thinking, i figured that i must still have some mud in the radiator cause i've towed this same trailer loaded before without any issuses. i pull over and sure enough, i see some dried up mud still stuck between the radiator and A/C condensor. I hosed off what i could get too, and left a another off road park in my girlfriends driveway! The rest of the drive home was fine.

Now low and behold, the weather is now in the 100's, and while my rig sits and idles in traffic with the A/C on, it would start to over heat AGAIN!! I figure that either my fan isn't working (Since it would only over heat while idling in traffic)or there's still mud hidding in places i didn't get.

I get home and this time i unbolt the front grill, radiator and fan shoud so i can get to every nook and cranny with the hose. I start hosing and leave another mud hill in my driveway. It looks like i got everything this time around, but i'll be keeping my eye on the temp gauge for a bit in this hot weather.

So leasoned learned. I'll defenatly be staying away from soggy mud holes. I know i'm not telling the veteren 4 wheelers anything new, but to the ones new to the sport just remember to give your rigs cooling system a good cleaning if you plan on playing in the mud. I know this is really com'on sense for most, just be aware, that you might have to start taking things apart to get everyting fully clean. Thank god it was only in the 50's when it over heated the first couple times. It realy would have scuked to have to crank up the heater in 100 degree weather just to limp home!

·
Premium Member
2,663 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. I don't think mud has an opportunity to get through to my radiator now with the front bumper and armor I have. It was a good thing it overheated during a low temp period. The last thing you would have needed is a blown head or worse cracked! Radiators have cooling fins for a reason, reason being cooling. Look at what happens to a race car if a cooling duct gets plugged up with debris. Hope you got all the muck out this time, some of that stuff turns into concrete after awhile.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
A marine bilge pump with a coupl. aligator clips and some hose helps in a big way. Generally where there is mud there is also a water source. Just clip the wires to the battery put the pump in the water and spraty out the radiator on the trail. I keep one on my water colled ATV just for this purpose.

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. I don't think mud has an opportunity to get through to my radiator now with the front bumper and armor I have. It was a good thing it overheated during a low temp period. The last thing you would have needed is a blown head or worse cracked! Radiators have cooling fins for a reason, reason being cooling. Look at what happens to a race car if a cooling duct gets plugged up with debris. Hope you got all the muck out this time, some of that stuff turns into concrete after awhile.
but it does get in there slither one wouldn't think so..

·
Premium Member
2,663 Posts
but it does get in there slither one wouldn't think so..
Note taken. Definitely will look a little closer next time. I usually flush everything out fully(until nearly clear water flows out) from under the rig, in the wheel wells, and engine bay after a good day of wheeling. Doesn't mean you always get it all I guess.

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
Note taken. Definitely will look a little closer next time. I usually flush everything out fully(until nearly clear water flows out) from under the rig, in the wheel wells, and engine bay after a good day of wheeling. Doesn't mean you always get it all I guess.
not always, but i found mine full of sand and mud after a run one time , so now i always check it, even before i hit the road back to town, so if it is, stop by a carwash and give it a shot..

I like the idea ncfj gave, but i would always forget to take the pump with me.

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
Wow, this is like saying wipe your butt after you poop. lol, Just kiddin, Seriously good info for those who don't know. just like butt wipin, good habit to have.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, this is like saying wipe your butt after you poop. lol, Just kiddin, Seriously good info for those who don't know. just like butt wipin, good habit to have.

Like i said, i know this is com'on sense for most, but my main point is that even after a trip to the power washer you might still have some spots that you missed.

·
Premium Member
6,534 Posts
Thexton even makes a special wand for cleaning these types of radiators. DEWFPO

Thexton 467 Radiator/Condensor Cleaning Wand THE-467

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Here's Jeshua helping remove my radiator and condenser to get who knows how much mud out of there. I had even power-washed a couple times since I had gone through mud about 6 months previous. What a total PITA to get that stuf clean finally. Plus, the tranny cooler is inside the radiator, so you have to refill that fluid as well.

In the case of the FJ I was surprised at what a ton of mud was in there despite specific efforts to really wash it out well. So no more mud for me - - EVER.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I made a wand out of 1/2 copper tube cap on one end and hose adpt on the other. tap the tube with a hammer couple times to flaten it so it would fit in the gap between the rad and condensor coil drilled three through holes this lets the water out at a low pressure. work for me. I too had the prbl of over heating from muddy water see avitar

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Air2air, I couldn't agree more - no more mud! After thoroughly cleaning, I thought, I dropped my skid plate and found mud caked between the radiator and condenser - then I cleaned again. Oh what fun in mud - IH8MUD!

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
I don't think you can stress enough to make sure you clean this baby, if not in the near future i bet you would have overheating problems, and the longer it goes the harder it will be to get it opened up.. sorry I did not see your post before i reposted what i found..:bandit:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.