Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.

I just bought a 07 fj from my local toyota dealer. They work with a local 4x4 shop that is well known. I use my FJ as an everyday driver for personal and work stuff. I was looking to lift it a little. Somthing like 3 inch's or so. I was told by the dealer that the only lift they would warranty is the pro comp 6 inch suspension lift. It will not void any of my other warranty and the lift will recieve a 3 year 36k warranty also. Have any of you heard toyota offering this anywhere else. This is a little higher then I was looking to go with but might go with it because I like the warranty. They say the reason they will alow this lift is because it will not change any angles to the drive train and will not cause any extra stress to the vehicle. I was also told toyota will allow this shop to do all my other work and not void my warranty wich seems prety cool. I will be going to the shop tomorrow to sit with them and go over my build. So what do you guys think about this situation and does it sound right? What do you guys also think about the pro comp lift?

I am sorry if I am a little vague but I am new to the 4x4 world. My back ground is in freestyle jetsking and moto x. So this will be a whole new learning experiance.

Thanks everyone
Richie

·
Premium Member
4,828 Posts
Toyota isn't offering this warranty, that specific dealer is. In the event that something happens to your rig and you need to take into a different dealer, you can't expect them to warranty it with the lift. They may or may not, it will be dependent on that service writer/manager.

I would also re-think your idea of "lifting a little bit" and going with one of the largest lifts available for the FJC. Being a daily driver and going with this lift isn't going to be the best use of it but that's your choice and preference for your use.

So, keep that in mind, its dealer specific, not Toyota. Ask for everything in writing and good luck with it...

·
Banned
2,640 Posts
ive sold cars, toyota to be exact, and NEVER did we say that we would warranty, esp just one name brand, any after market add on....our local dealeships tend to add the pro comp lift, or the ome..thats the best that i can say..now, if the dealership installs it, and you have a problem, you would expect them to take care of it..you know what they say when you ASS U ME.......

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
Sounds like a dealer in cahoots with a 4 x 4 shop to me. They probably have an arrangement whereby the sales guy gets some kickback from the shop for directing them their. I have not lifted yet, but from all that I have seen/read on this and other forums
6" is a little to high for a daily driver IMO. There are a lot more options in the 3" variation as well all of which are good it just depends how much $$ you want to spend.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Procomp lift requires 18" wheels, so you will have to "upgrade" to 18s. In my opinion, not the best option for offoading

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
Procomp lift requires 18" wheels, so you will have to "upgrade" to 18s. In my opinion, not the best option for offoading
x2
Not only will you require the 18" wheels but you will need taller tires 34"-35" to keep the truck from looking ridiculous!! Theres nothing funnier looking than a lifted truck with tiny tires on it! The front cross member will also need to be chopped up some to allow the front drive shaft to drop down to the new position of the axle. I would go with a 3" lift IMO. There are many people on this forum with 3" lifts that are enjoying them everyday with NO problems, myself included. Did the salesman tell you this or was it the Service manager. At the end of the day It's the Service managers call.

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
Hello everyone.

I just bought a 07 fj from my local toyota dealer. They work with a local 4x4 shop that is well known. I use my FJ as an everyday driver for personal and work stuff. I was looking to lift it a little. Somthing like 3 inch's or so. I was told by the dealer that the only lift they would warranty is the pro comp 6 inch suspension lift. It will not void any of my other warranty and the lift will recieve a 3 year 36k warranty also. Have any of you heard toyota offering this anywhere else. This is a little higher then I was looking to go with but might go with it because I like the warranty. They say the reason they will alow this lift is because it will not change any angles to the drive train and will not cause any extra stress to the vehicle. I was also told toyota will allow this shop to do all my other work and not void my warranty wich seems prety cool. I will be going to the shop tomorrow to sit with them and go over my build. So what do you guys think about this situation and does it sound right? What do you guys also think about the pro comp lift?

I am sorry if I am a little vague but I am new to the 4x4 world. My back ground is in freestyle jetsking and moto x. So this will be a whole new learning experiance.

Thanks everyone
Richie
The dealer is taking responsibility for the warranty, but Toyota Corporate will not. Make sure you have their promises in writing, so that if a situation arises you can hold the dealer liable for the work and the warranty coverage.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I hear what you all are saying and agree. It is actualy the owner of the dealership that is telling me this. This shop does do all thier off road stuff. The shop is also very well known and respected in my area. I know I will need to do more research before I decide what to do. Do any of you have any recomendations on a 3 inch lift that I should look at.
Thanks guys for the help
Richie

·
Registered
34 Posts
If I would have known how great the 6" pro comp lift was when it came out I would have gotten it then. The people that don't like it don't like it for some BS reason or another. All I know is I have the 6" Pro Comp with coil overs moto metal 18 x 9 and 35" Toyo MT's and she rides way better than stock. Plenty of power on the interstate, in mud and in sand. About 14 MPG but I don't care about that. What's the best is everyone checking it out and telling me how bad ass it looks. Dude in a Wrangler about 2 hours ago told me twice how sweet she looked. Do it and you will see what I'm talking about. Personally I just like big tires. Had jacked up trucks my whole life and this is the only one that has rode better.

·
Registered
576 Posts
im guessing your looking at the silver FJ in riverhead.....rich at RMS builds them for them...they will waranty it.. but please get some spacers and get smaller rims...
ps that truck has been out there for a while

·
Registered
320 Posts
im guessing your looking at the silver FJ in riverhead.....rich at RMS builds them for them...they will waranty it.. but please get some spacers and get smaller rims...
ps that truck has been out there for a while
Exactly what he said! Keep in mind also that if you wanna take it on the beach, technically you can't have bigger than a 33" tire. I don't know how much they enforce that rule, but the beach permit lhas it written out. 33" would look puney on a 6" lifted FJ.

The guys at RMS do awesome work, but they do charge a premium. If you get the lift through teh dealer, you will pay even more out the nose due to dealer mark-up. If I remember correctly, I looked at a titanium FJ out there with 6" lift and the requested price for the lift was like 8500!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts