Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
..I saw that the car has 290mi on it already!! This is a brand new 2010 FJ at one of the local Toyota dealership here in VA. Sticker price is at $31K w/ CP, UP2, RDL, etc. I almost signed the papers, but when I asked to take it for a spin, I was shocked to see the mileage on this one at 300miles!! The sales rep said "oh its normal with new cars because of the test drives and what not". yikes! That's a 'used' car already IMO. What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
82 Posts
mine had over 300 miles on it when i bought it. but mine is an 08 and i bought it in 09.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I still took it for a spin, and everything still runs smooth like all new cars, but the fact thats it has 300mi on it is pretty surprising.. That for me was the deal breaker.. But yeah,if they can knock off a couple $$$ off it then we can still probably do business.. Or maybe i can just have them order a brand new one with the same numbers that we talked about?

·
Premium Member
12,325 Posts
Minor. Ask them to re-write the warranty for an additional 290 mi, if they won't move on to another.

·
Registered
27 Posts
..I saw that the car has 290mi on it already!! This is a brand new 2010 FJ at one of the local Toyota dealership here in VA. Sticker price is at $31K w/ CP, UP2, RDL, etc. I almost signed the papers, but when I asked to take it for a spin, I was shocked to see the mileage on this one at 300miles!! The sales rep said "oh its normal with new cars because of the test drives and what not". yikes! That's a 'used' car already IMO. What are your thoughts?
Check and see if it was involved in a "dealer trade"...the destination dealer is listed on the bottom right hand side of the window sticker, it will have the dealers name and address...it is not uncommon for dealer trades to be in excess of 250+ miles...I wouldn't worry about it, but check the sticker or ask the GM at the dealer, not the salesman!!

·
Registered
493 Posts
Check and see if it was involved in a "dealer trade"...the destination dealer is listed on the bottom right hand side of the window sticker, it will have the dealers name and address...it is not uncommon for dealer trades to be in excess of 250+ miles...I wouldn't worry about it, but check the sticker or ask the GM at the dealer, not the salesman!!
EXACTLY. Quite often we have to pick up a vehicle in tennessee or kentucky and it comes back with 500 miles. Now the purchaser knows this, but if he backs out and we get stuck with it, we have a brand new car with 500 miles on it. Its still new however.

·
Premium Member
1,620 Posts
Make sure you check out the price on KBB and Edmunds.

2010 Toyota FJ Cruiser - Select Trim Option - Kelley Blue Book

2010 Toyota FJ Cruiser Pricing and Information

Make a spreadsheet with all the options going down the page and the three different prices (MSRP, invoice,...) across the top. Go to Toyota dealerships sites and check out the FJs for sale. Put on the spreadsheet the ones you might be interested in. Repeat the three price columns for each one and only enter numbers in the rows for options found on the FJ you are looking at. If done right, your MSRP column should match what is on the website for MSRP, then you will know the invoice price and what others are paying. It makes it easy to compare vehicles.

I bought mine this way. I found many I might be interested in and entered them on the spreadsheet. I sent in the invoice price as my bid using the dealership's 'Name Your Price' option web page. I only bid on vehicles that showed 'In Stock" since these are the ones on the respective lots. I bid this way on at least 10 different Toyota dealer websites. Then I waited for responses. The one I bought came from a Toyota internet manager who responded with a price lower than what I had offered. Now that is someone who wanted to make a sale.

As far as the mileage, while it might be a dealer trade, I would be extra careful because for all you know they hired some 18 year old kid to drive it up and he floored it the whole way.

·
Registered
637 Posts
thats how mine was. a few hundred on it. but after looking at the sticker, it did indeed come from another dealer. dealer trade no doubt. but your warranty does not start till you get in it. did it bother me? somewhat...

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
The 2007 I bought had 700 kms. on it when I test drove it. When I mentioned this to the saleman he gave me the same line. Lots of test drives. Long story short. I bought the beast. Found out 2 weeks later via Carfax that I was the second owner. The salesman lied. When I confronted the sales manager on it he said that every sales person was to disclose this to anyone thinking of buying it. After a threat of talking to a lawyer the dealership refunded the sales tax. In this case $6k. They didn't want the bad publicity.

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
They found my 2010 TTSE M/T through a dealer trade.

Ended up getting < 200 miles on it as a result.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
The 2007 I bought had 700 kms. on it .......After a threat of talking to a lawyer the dealership refunded the sales tax. In this case $6k.

Is that a misprint? or typo? $6,000 sales tax? For how many FJ's?:cowfrown:

Heck I thought I lived in TAX HELL!:rawr:

Jerry

·
Registered
876 Posts
You almost signed papers without test driving the vehicle first?

Something seems a bit backwards about your purchasing process...

A.W.D.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
The 2007 I bought had 700 kms. on it when I test drove it. When I mentioned this to the saleman he gave me the same line. Lots of test drives. Long story short. I bought the beast. Found out 2 weeks later via Carfax that I was the second owner. The salesman lied. When I confronted the sales manager on it he said that every sales person was to disclose this to anyone thinking of buying it. After a threat of talking to a lawyer the dealership refunded the sales tax. In this case $6k. They didn't want the bad publicity.

That's odd, since when registering and insuring it, DMV and your insurance carrier would know that it was used, not new, and thus so should you have known.
Not to mention the finance rates and all necessary paper work for the deal signing are different for new/used.
You SURE this ain't a fish story you cooked up?

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Minor. Ask them to re-write the warranty for an additional 290 mi, if they won't move on to another.
Warranties go into effect based on the mileage reported by the dealer at time of sale. If you/they registered it with "X" amount of miles, that is when the warranty clock begins.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts