Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
So, if you have a scuba kit (for the breathers)....and have done nothing to they pully's....how deep can you go in crossing a stream or something like that?
From my personal expierience if your stuck in water that is churned up with mud or has alot of silt...this will get into the bearings and eventually ruin your bearings. I sat stuck in a muddy spot and my engine was halfway submerged and I kept the motor running even though the fan blade was slapping and making aweful sounds...The bearings were just replaced prior to this,stock oem 3 mos beforehand and they were ruined after about twenty minutes in my situation. If your fording clean water briefly they will last...

I found that the big issue is the starter grounding out and not working...the bearings are easy to replace with sealed ones from NAPA...The starter will act up and you may think the battery is dead or kill what remaining life it has as the starter solinoid is toast...The starter is a PITA to change and if the stearlership does replace outside of warranty you will pay up the A$$...

I actually pulled the two little rubber breathers from the starter and sealed them with RTV and alluminum duct tape...:cheers:

I may be the only one out here that has done this but I have had no problems so far. :bigthumb: Most everyone that Has wheeled with me knows I play in deeeep water...:lol:

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
From my personal expierience if your stuck in water that is churned up with mud or has alot of silt...this will get into the bearings and eventually ruin your bearings. I sat stuck in a muddy spot and my engine was halfway submerged and I kept the motor running even though the fan blade was slapping and making aweful sounds...The bearings were just replaced prior to this,stock oem 3 mos beforehand and they were ruined after about twenty minutes in my situation. If your fording clean water briefly they will last...

I found that the big issue is the starter grounding out and not working...the bearings are easy to replace with sealed ones from NAPA...The starter will act up and you may think the battery is dead or kill what remaining life it has as the starter solinoid is toast...The starter is a PITA to change and if the stearlership does replace outside of warranty you will pay up the A$$...

I actually pulled the two little rubber breathers from the starter and sealed them with RTV and alluminum duct tape...:cheers:

I may be the only one out here that has done this but I have had no problems so far. :bigthumb: Most everyone that Has wheeled with me knows I play in deeeep water...:lol:
Are these breathers something you could remote mount higher up? AKA scuba style?

·
Registered
40 Posts
What happens to them? They get trashed on, cleaned up, and usually sold off to some unsuspecting or unkowing person. Look, if you really hate your vehicle, take it through a deep water crossing. Way back when engines were very basic, as were the electronics under the hood, that's not the case anymore. Yes you can buy a snorkel and do the scuba mods but going through deep water is not a good idea. Just my opinion of course, I know there are people who do it all the time on here and have no problems with it.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Page 5 of Toyota's brochure has a little info on water fording that might be of interest to you: http://www.toyota.com/byt4/2012/fj/en/complete_ebro.pdf It specs the FJ fording limit at 2.3 feet (for the 4X4).

One other thing to keep in mind is that, because of the all-weather flooring & water-resistant seat fabric, the interior can handle a little water. That doesn't mean that you won't ruin something electrical/mechanical in the process - just sayin' ;).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
What happens to them? They get trashed on, cleaned up, and usually sold off to some unsuspecting or unkowing person. Look, if you really hate your vehicle, take it through a deep water crossing. Way back when engines were very basic, as were the electronics under the hood, that's not the case anymore. Yes you can buy a snorkel and do the scuba mods but going through deep water is not a good idea. Just my opinion of course, I know there are people who do it all the time on here and have no problems with it.
@ssholes...... why dont they sell the thrashed cruisers as is to guys like me that wouldnt mind swapping out parts for a cheap fj........ i wouldnt plan on going through anything about the 3 foot mark with a lift a big tires. The navy seal set up would be for peice of mind.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
FWIW my idler pulleys, presumed OEM, that I pulled at 70K were all sealed. When a cleaning and lube didn't fix em up I pressed them out to get a better look at them. The bearing seals were no different than the ones from NAPA.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts