Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have water running down into the passenger side compartment and the water is pooling under the plastic floorboard. There are two air conditioning lines that you can see from the engine compartment that run through the firewall and into the passenger compartment air/fan unit. I'm thinking that one of the lines is cracked or possiblly the fan unit is cracked? Is water stored anywhere in the unit or is it more likely the AC line?

Anyone else experience anything like this?

·
Registered
839 Posts
Also the drain line could be stopped or plugged up.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Ok, I just spent a half hour trying to track down the discharge line to no avail. To me the system looks closed but that is just my initial assessment. Any pros here that can point me to the appropriate location of the discharge line? I am assuming since it is called a discharge line, then it carries the outbound fluids for discharge overboard?

The discharge line is #11 in the illustration.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I'll take a shot at this one. The drain should be coming out of the evaporator enclosure. The evaporator is the radiator type thing inside the passenger compartment. It's what gets cold and cools the air moving over it. When the air is cooled, water condenses on the outside of the evaporator coils, fins or whatever. This water drips to the bottom of the enclosure and exits through a drain port which should have a hose connected to it that discharges beneath the vehicle on the passenger side. I think the #11 line in the diagram may be a refrigerant line and not a drain line. There should be another diagram showing the evaporator and associated lines.

Once you locate the drain line you might try blowing some air back through it to clear out any blockage. It could be something like a glob of lint maybe. A shop vac might also work either blowing back or with suction. I would like to know for sure that whatever was causing the blockage has been removed. You should be able to crawl under the passenger side and spot the drain line. It will likely just be an open ended rubber tube. Be gentle if you poke anything through that tube to clear it. You don't want to punch a hole in the evaporator or the enclosure. Unlikely, but be careful anyway.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll take a shot at this one. The drain should be coming out of the evaporator enclosure. The evaporator is the radiator type thing inside the passenger compartment. It's what gets cold and cools the air moving over it. When the air is cooled, water condenses on the outside of the evaporator coils, fins or whatever. This water drips to the bottom of the enclosure and exits through a drain port which should have a hose connected to it that discharges beneath the vehicle on the passenger side. I think the #11 line in the diagram may be a refrigerant line and not a drain line. There should be another diagram showing the evaporator and associated lines.

Once you locate the drain line you might try blowing some air back through it to clear out any blockage. It could be something like a glob of lint maybe. A shop vac might also work either blowing back or with suction. I would like to know for sure that whatever was causing the blockage has been removed. You should be able to crawl under the passenger side and spot the drain line. It will likely just be an open ended rubber tube. Be gentle if you poke anything through that tube to clear it. You don't want to punch a hole in the evaporator or the enclosure. Unlikely, but be careful anyway.
Thanks very much. Below is the illustration of the evaporator assembly. #10 is the servo drain hose? I did a lot of crawling and didn't spot the hose.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
:rofl:

I had an extremely leaky roof.. with water leaking out from underneath the dash. It was bad. CLICK
Wow. This could possibly be my problem. I haven't had any leaks since I installed my Gobi and we've had plenty of rain but there is the potential definitely. Where was the water ending up Dom?

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Wow. This could possibly be my problem. I haven't had any leaks since I installed my Gobi and we've had plenty of rain but there is the potential definitely. Where was the water ending up Dom?
His came down the driver A pillar. I guess depending on your headliner and maybe the way you've parked, it could come down any of the corners.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
His came down the driver A pillar. I guess depending on your headliner and maybe the way you've parked, it could come down any of the corners.
Thanks Tony. Mine is draining down into front left corner of the passenger foot area. It's very hard to find the exact source but that's what led me to believe it may be the AC causing the problem. I'm going to pull the headliner and check for moisture up there.

·
Premium Member
6,534 Posts
During rain storms I have had water run down the inside of the center of the windshield right in front of the rear view mirror and go down the firewall behind the dash. That could be one cause.

As far as the A/C drain hole goes. There are a couple of threads on that describing the location of the drain hose in the passengers side front tire well. I think it is behind one of the plastic pieces. If you look from underneath you should be able to see it. Compressed air or a wire should open it back up.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
8,128 Posts

Well i was driving down the road and it was just dripping on my leg.. looked up and the a-pillars were soaked.

After it was parked in the driveway, it moved down the headliner and soaked up the b pillar. what a PITA.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Kajun Kim
5,488 Posts
I have water running down into the passenger side compartment and the water is pooling under the plastic floorboard. There are two air conditioning lines that you can see from the engine compartment that run through the firewall and into the passenger compartment air/fan unit. I'm thinking that one of the lines is cracked or possiblly the fan unit is cracked? Is water stored anywhere in the unit or is it more likely the AC line?

Anyone else experience anything like this?
I had a Jeep Cherokee for years. The condensate drain line on the passenger side would clog up and flood the floorboard on a regular basis. I would suspect that is what you got on your hands!

Kim:cheers:

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
OK a couple weekends ago I was on a road trip and noticed that there was a puddle under the truck. I didn't remember turning on the AC but that comes on if I turn the heat off all the way to cool (wish I HAD to hit the AC button myself) and I may have turned it on by mistake. Anyway I opened the hood and low on the passenger side firewall is a small hose exiting the about two inches and it was dripping clear water. ( I have no sense of smell so like an idiot I tasted it). Anyway it drips right down onto the frame rail and then hits the ground under the passenger footwell. I figured it was just the AC and that either my gf or I had inadvertantly turned it on at some point. Certainly was dripping out of that line at quite a pace.

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
I had the same problem you are I thought it was the a/c too condensation or something, well I took it to the dealer and they ran it in there carwash and found out i had a problem with the sealer on the firewall joints they had my fj for 3 days havent seen any water since been about three months . I even went out wheelin this past weekend water holes and all and didnt see any water. You may want to look into that.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.