Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently took my FJ for a swim and got around 6 inches of muddy water inside of it. I washed it out when I got home, and made it look shiny again. But then I heard that under the vinyl flooring there is a cotton like padding that will soak up the water and start to smell after a while. So I pulled out the driver seat and took a look, and sure enough I found soaked cotton padding. I've read about some guys replacing it with closed cell sponge padding. I've never heard of this stuff so I have no idea on where to start looking for it. Are there any popular stores that would carry it or is it a specialty store/online kind of product? And is there only one type of this material or is there a certain type of it I should be looking for? And I'm assuming I use a spray adhesive on it right? Or does anyone know of something else that would work better than this CCS?

Second part to this thread... Has anyone tried to actually water proof the FJ? I understand that it is water resistant to a certain point but has anyone tried to really seal it up? Maybe just to half way up the doors at least? Or is there something that makes that impossible to do?

Any feedback would be appreciated! Thanks!

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Welcome to the forum!!!

I recently took my FJ for a swim and got around 6 inches of muddy water inside of it. I washed it out when I got home, and made it look shiny again. But then I heard that under the vinyl flooring there is a cotton like padding that will soak up the water and start to smell after a while. So I pulled out the driver seat and took a look, and sure enough I found soaked cotton padding. I've read about some guys replacing it with closed cell sponge padding. I've never heard of this stuff so I have no idea on where to start looking for it. Are there any popular stores that would carry it or is it a specialty store/online kind of product? And is there only one type of this material or is there a certain type of it I should be looking for? And I'm assuming I use a spray adhesive on it right? Or does anyone know of something else that would work better than this CCS?
You can do this. It's a pretty big job removing all of the interior enough to where you can replace all of the padding.

You do still have the problem of the water being trapped though if this happens again. So any time water would do this again, just having foam instead of the felt insulation material isn't enough. You still need to basically remove the seats and air out under the flooring anytime water would get in there. The bad part is, you are still going to have stench even after it dries. Rarely ever is the water that a vehicle gets stuck in fresh spring clear water. It is usually always muddy if vehicles have been going through. So after that water dries out under your flooring you will still have all the dirt/mud left in there.
My best advice would be to avoid deep water crossings. Always check the depth with a stick, or by walking through it first.

Second part to this thread... Has anyone tried to actually water proof the FJ? I understand that it is water resistant to a certain point but has anyone tried to really seal it up? Maybe just to half way up the doors at least? Or is there something that makes that impossible to do?
Your not going to easily be able to water proof the doors. The rubber seal that runs along the door edge won't keep out water (except for rain).

As you now know, you cannot hose out the interior of the FJC. Some mis-informed salesman at the dealerships have given customers this false info.

If for some reason you do HAVE to drive through water that deep, do not stop. I have driven through water up to the top of my tires multiple times (it floods a lot in Louisiana). Forward progress makes a bow wave and it pushed water away from the door. This prevents water from seeping through. Had i stopped, i would have been screwed.

·
Premium Member
17,639 Posts
Mcmaster probably has what you are looking for. However, as Layton pointed out it doesn't really solve anything.

The FJ has vents in the rear compartement so pressure doesn't build up - even if you seal the doors better it will still leak in other places such as that.

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
Hello & welcome!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So... I go out to the garage to pull out the rest of the interior, and guess what... it STINKS inside that truck!! Going through that water was a bad idea!! I am now regretting that decision. But the only thing to do is fix it and make it better, right? That's part of the fun of 4 wheelin'!

Layonnn, I understand what you mean about it not solving the problem. So now I just gotta figure out how to get rid of that smell. It's not pleasant at all! And just before I went into the water I thought to myself, "You should really check the depth with a stick first." But then another voice said, "NAH!!" And my intention was to go all the way through without stopping, but some silty mud at the bottom had other plans for me.

FJNewb, the water never touched anything behind the rear seats. That's why I was thinking that if the bottom 6 inches or so of the doors were sealed better, I probably wouldn't have gotten water in. The front was deeper in than the rear, so that's probably why the back was saved.

And to blue goose, hello and thank you! I have read many of the threads on this site, but this is the first incident I came across that was out of the ordinary for me, so this is my first thread.

Glad to know you guys are out there reading and giving feedback. I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
2008 Toyota Trail Teams Special Edition FJ Cruiser
2,470 Posts
check my build page (CCS Install). I did the exact thing you did. Had to pull out the vinyl floor, strip the carpet padding off, and glue on Closed Cell Sponge. Worked really well at sound deadening...although I put in Hushmat while I was at it. I also used some clear silicone around all the drain plugs to seal them when I put them back in.

So...if this ever happens again, all I need to do is prop up the floor (to allow air under) and pop out the drain plugs in the affected area. The CCS will not soak up water, therefore will not mold and mildew. Just wipe out, let air dry, and good to go next time.

You really have no choice but to do this now that you got it wet. If not it will smell like "wet socks" (haha...that is the thread I followed to do this modification.)

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/interior-exterior-visual-tech/86508-replaced-padding-under-fjs-floor-no-longer-smells-like-wet-socks.html

You can find CCS at a rubber supply company. I looked on the internet and found one locally here in dallas. You just tell them what thickness and what length (they have various width rolls) and they will just cut it off for you. It wasn't very expensive...thinking somewhere like 35-50 bucks. I forgot the exact sq. footage I bought. I believe I used .75 inch thickness.

one thing I did different from the thread linked above is that I carefully removed the cotton padding after it dried as to not rip it to shreads. Then I used those shapes to trace onto the CCS and cut out. May want to take a photo of the flooring upside down so you remember where to glue back the padding.

Honestly, the hardest thing about this was using the spray adhesive remover and a scrapper to get the remaining cotton fibers and glue off the bottom before glueing on the CCS.

Post up if you need any more help with this.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
guess what... it STINKS inside that truck!! Going through that water was a bad idea!! I am now regretting that decision. But the only thing to do is fix it and make it better, right?

I just gotta figure out how to get rid of that smell. It's not pleasant at all!

That's why I was thinking that if the bottom 6 inches or so of the doors were sealed better, I probably wouldn't have gotten water in.
^^ I feel you're pain. you can and will get it clean. I used a sponge, a rinse bucket, lots of paper towels, and some simple green to kill germs.:bigthumb:

As for your door sills...you will never seal your doors...if you stay static (aka STUCK)for long enough in mud/water above your door sills, the water pressure will eventually win.

Now moving through splashing water/mildy high waves (water level mainly below your sills) your doors sills will not have enough constant pressure to push water inside. Even dipping down while moving and coming up I have not had water enter the doors.

I too will think twice about gooey, muddy, unknown-depth encounters in the future, but as for mild water crossings/streams I have had no problems.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
If it still smells, you are going to need to remove the seats, center console, all of the flooring, remove the door panels.

Then, take you favorite strong cleaner, mine is purple clean, and go to town cleaning all of the floor and inside of the doors as my guess would be that water got inside of the doors as well.

Finding some CC foam might be easier than finding some OEM style padding to reattach to the rubber flooring. My dads upholstery business buys from a wholesaler that doesn't sell to the public, neither does my dad.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
If it still smells, you are going to need to remove the seats, center console, all of the flooring, remove the door panels.

Then, take you favorite strong cleaner, mine is purple clean, and go to town cleaning all of the floor and inside of the doors as my guess would be that water got inside of the doors as well.

Finding some CC foam might be easier than finding some OEM style padding to reattach to the rubber flooring. My dads upholstery business buys from a wholesaler that doesn't sell to the public, neither does my dad.
Once you remove the padding...I think the smell will mostly go with it.

You will have to remove seats, console, door panels etc. to clean it well as Layonnn said. I WOULD NOT put padding back in. Upgrade to CCS that will not absorb water.:bigthumb:

It may take you a day or two to do it all. I just put my DR seat back in and shift nobs on to drive while I was in the process. (Kinda like driving an FJ-40 with bare metal interior!)

·
Premium Member
17,639 Posts
The closed celled foam can be purchased on Mcmaster - thats the typical term for it throughout the industry (just an fyi as you'll likely get more hits on google in your area typining in foam instead of sponge). You have a variety to select from as far as base material and firmness goes, tensile strength, and various other properties.

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
I sunk mine pretty good once and I was praising the door seals! They held water tight for about 10 minutes after which (just as i was being pulled out) water started slowly seeping in.

Also, though I eventually got quite a bit of water in there, I never pulled the floor covering. Just let it set out in the sun and dry a couple days. Never had any smell...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow! Thanks for all the info guys!

Bc_indiana, I read your page. Looks like I got a bigger job than I thought. But it's gotta be done, and I know have a new appreciation for small bodies of standing water. I'll take some pics as I go along too(good excuse to buy a new camera!)

Layonnn, thanks for mentioning the door panels. I probably would have skipped right over them. Some deadener inside there too sounds like a good idea while the panels are off.

FJNewb, I started doing a little online searching and found a few places that have it. Thanks.

And toyo22r, cool pics. My buddy that I went with somehow didn't have the same sense of urgency as I did to get the FJ out of the water that I did, and I think he managed to snap a few pics. I'll see if I can get those from him and post them up soon.

Thanks again guys! I'll let you know how it all turns out and if I come up with something new and helpful along the way.

·
Registered
497 Posts
now...has any one thought out ditching the rubber floor all together and just coating the floor in bed liner? im tempted since i need to pull my interior anyways....but then again mines not my daily driver so im not overly concerned about the form....more the function :D

·
Premium Member
13,321 Posts
now...has any one thought out ditching the rubber floor all together and just coating the floor in bed liner? im tempted since i need to pull my interior anyways....but then again mines not my daily driver so im not overly concerned about the form....more the function :D
There are tons of cables that run along the floor on both sides not to mention the floor air vents. The bottom line- the rear end has vents that allow the doors to close and not create a vacuum. Your rig will get wet inside.

I do like the idea though- I may go that route once I cage the interior and cut the roof off :D

I know these things :lol:

The vents are those flaps behind the rear wheels that are usually covered with the body plastic. Go any higher than those and its flood city

:cheers:

·
Premium Member
2,266 Posts
If you only had a snorkel like most of the FJ's on this forum your floor would have never got wet! :lol::rofl::lol::rofl:

·
Premium Member
13,321 Posts
If you only had a snorkel like most of the FJ's on this forum your floor would have never got wet! :lol::rofl::lol::rofl:
I spit a goldfish cracker out:lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
497 Posts
haha well put.

i know those vent all too well....i consider them my worst enemy! thanks for the ripped out interior pic, i'm thinking it still may be easy enough to hide most of the wires and still make it look good.

·
Premium Member
2,266 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts