Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guy's, I use to do a lot of deep water crossings in my old diesel 4wd,(over the bonnet up the windscreen stuff) now that I have a petrol one I'm worried about parts getting wet and getting stuck in the middle of a crossing. Just wondering if anyone has done this in there FJ or has any tips to water proof the important parts. Any help would be a appreciated thank you

·
Desert Moderator
5,648 Posts
Apart from the obvious, the engine & electrical connectors are pretty well sealed. I know the unsealed bearings on the idler pulleys don't like a lot of dirty water/mud, and the mechanical fan probably isn't best for deep water. The diffs, xfer case, and transmission all have breathers, located reasonably high in the engine bay on later models, but you could do better, and the rear breather should be extended.
Just remember that it's an SUV, not a u-boat.
The cabin is pretty waterproof, so that's good. The headlights could fill up with water, not being sealed units, but the stock boots are pretty good.

Mine doesn't get the opportunity to go swimming very often here in the desert, but it has had water over the bonnet with no issues. The clutch didn't seem to freak out in the deep water either - although I guess you are in Australia, so you don't have a proper transmission anyway ;-)

One thing I noticed after swimming was that the bottom of the airbox was damp (I don't have a snorkel) - I don't know if it sucked the water in through the pre-cleaner dirt dropper out thing or if it came in through the pipe in the fender. The good news is that the airbox design is brilliant the way the air is pulled up through the filter and a big space in the bottom of the box to collect water, sand, and any small animals that you might suck in.

·
Registered
9,681 Posts
Bottom line. If you get stuck in the middle you are going to flood it inside. No way to stop that. Have a snorkel and scuba mod (relocated diff breathers) and call it good. There are a TON of electronics in the footwell areas. Probably far too many to move, so if you flood it, itll probably still work, but you will have to tear out the flooring since it is foam-backed just to dry it out. Also the starter isn't totally sealed. If you water-cross in winter weather then shut the truck down, it may not restart until it can thaw out.
The engine pullies can be upgraded to sealed units (I have heard stock are not).

·
Registered
118 Posts
Bottom line. If you get stuck in the middle you are going to flood it inside. No way to stop that. Have a snorkel and scuba mod (relocated diff breathers) and call it good. There are a TON of electronics in the footwell areas. Probably far too many to move, so if you flood it, itll probably still work, but you will have to tear out the flooring since it is foam-backed just to dry it out. Also the starter isn't totally sealed. If you water-cross in winter weather then shut the truck down, it may not restart until it can thaw out.
The engine pullies can be upgraded to sealed units (I have heard stock are not).
Got a link to those upgraded pulleys?

·
Registered
9,681 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info, I've already lifted all my breathers and I have a snorkel, I will look into the other stuff. Thanks alot for the help
P.s. if they came in manual I would have one

·
Desert Moderator
5,648 Posts
Thanks for the info, I've already lifted all my breathers and I have a snorkel, I will look into the other stuff. Thanks alot for the help
P.s. if they came in manual I would have one
They came in manual, just not in RHD markets.
Here the manual only came in povo trim spec (but all the stuff that you actually want like RR Diff lock, ATRAC, etc...) - so no electric mirrors or that gauge cluster on top of the dash or the lights in the back of the mirrors or reversing camera, or cruise control (one day I'll finish the retrofit - just one wire to go into the ECU left to find the terminal for...)...

·
Registered
949 Posts
As a seasoned veteran of swimming with my FJ, I can be the first to tell you not to do it whenever you can avoid it. As others have said, idler pulleys, starter, and alternator do not like the water. Trust me, I have replaced all of them. As fun as it is, it can get expensive.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts