Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long time listener, first time caller..........

I recently took my FJ to the dealer for the 25k service interval. I know, the stealership is not recommended by a lot of fellas here but my level of automotive mechanical aptitude rivals that of the average ninth grade girl.

After the service, they told me that the water pump gasket was leaking and needed to be replaced under warranty. They said they had to order a part and would call and schedule an appointment when it arrived. About 3 weeks transpire waiting for the part to arrive and for my schedule to permit what they told me would take half a day.

Since they told me the water pump was leaking, I kept an eye on the water level. Checked it a couple of times during the 3 weeks, and in the morning before the appointment. The coolant level was never even a hair below full at any time, which I found strange since the gasket was "leaking". A slow leak, perhaps.

When I arrived first thing in the morning, the time they estimated for the repair had gone from a half day to a full day. No problem, as they gave me a rental car free of charge for the day. They called about 6-7 hours later to tell me I was ready to go.

Reading the invoice when I got home, I noted that it states there was a coolant leak (not that I noticed) and that the water pump itself was "deformed". The invoice indicates that the "water pump assembly was replaced".

A quick search of the forum doesn't seem to show water pump deformation to be a widespread issue.

So my question is this: How does one go about deforming a water pump? If I was really, really trying to deform it what would I do? Has anyone seen - heard about - experienced this before? Was the dealership just looking to charge Toyota for a full day of warranty work? Do I need to take some high resolution photographs of my water pump assembly so I can compare later looking for "deformation"?

Jack

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Don't believe everything you read. In 3 weeks time and the level never dropped...must have been a very slow leak or a very slow day at the dealership.

·
Registered
243 Posts
There must have been a flaw in the casting during production.
I agree with this, it would not take much of a flaw to show up as a leak in a pressurized system, and it doesn't take much of a flaw to be called deformed.

Steph

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
A water pump leak could be only a weeping leak because of a mar or high spot on the surface of the pump. It would only be damp and you would not notice any loss of antifreeze for months.

·
Premium Member
6,531 Posts
Whenever a service person of any sort recommends work on my vehicle (or any other equipment or appliance I own) I always ask them to show me why my it needs the recommended work. Sometimes they can, and sometimes they can't.

I am certainly not saying your dealer did this but..... in December I took my pickup into the Chevy dealer before the warranty ran out. It only had 10K miles on it and had some play in the steering column. A known poor design on Chevy pickups. When I came back to pick it up, they said they changed both tie rods, the pitman arm and the idler arm. And oh yeah, the steering shaft. I asked why, and the service writer said, don't worry about it, it's covered under warranty and Chevy will pick up the tab. The truck had 9,930 miles on it and it drove fine. That is, before I brought it in. That wasn't the end of the story.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
455 Posts
I agree with fjal...lets not go condemning other humans on a scenario where we weren't present.
In our repair shop we see various brands of vehicles that have a cooling "leak" at gasket joints or whatnot. Sometimes they actually drip, in the beginning stages you may just see a "cheese trail" of dried on coolant where some is pushing out under heat and pressure and the heat and air flow is drying it onto the engine.
Likely they caught your problem in the early stages. After all, isn't that what the motoring public wants from good mechanics?? :thinkerg: Preventing breakdows that is.
Were talking auto repair...not science.

Conversely imagine the story we'd hear if there was a developing problem they didn't find or fix.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Whenever a service person of any sort recommends work on my vehicle (or any other equipment or appliance I own) I always ask them to show me why my it needs the recommended work. Sometimes they can, and sometimes they can't.

I am certainly not saying your dealer did this but..... in December I took my pickup into the Chevy dealer before the warranty ran out. It only had 10K miles on it and had some play in the steering column. A known poor design on Chevy pickups. When I came back to pick it up, they said they changed both tie rods, the pitman arm and the idler arm. And oh yeah, the steering shaft. I asked why, and the service writer said, don't worry about it, it's covered under warranty and Chevy will pick up the tab. The truck had 9,930 miles on it and it drove fine. That is, before I brought it in. That wasn't the end of the story.

DEWFPO
I want to hear the rest of the story. This has got to be good!

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
sounds fishy to me did you inspect it visualy yourself prior to replcement

·
Premium Member
6,531 Posts
I want to hear the rest of the story. This has got to be good!

O.K., so here's "the rest of the story":

When I picked up the truck, the service 'advisor' says "Give me all A's on the GM survey and I'll throw you a free oil change", I said " yeh, thanks see ya".

Over the next few days I'm driving it and the steering doesn't feel right so I take it back. The SA says " I'll go kick the tech in the a$$ and get it straightened out for you". I said "I'll wait for it". About an hour later, the SA says "here it is, all done. And, oh, have you filled out the survey yet?". I said "no, and I'll be back in a few minutes if it isn't right".

I take it for a ride and it still doesn't 'feel' right and it's pulling to the other side now. So I go back. I take 'Chance' the 'technician' for a ride, he says "bring it around back and I'll adjust it again "(3rd time). I said "I want to watch", he said "o.k". He puts it up on a lift and says, "how much you want me to turn these". I said "what?" He said "the tie rods, 1/2 turn, 1/3 turn, what do you want?" I said, "don't you have an alignment rack?" He said "yeah, but I can eyeball it pretty perfect, all I do is front end work on these H.D. trucks" (remember this is the 3 time, and his last "chance"). He rotates the tie rods 1/2 turns, supposedly in opposite directions. I said "see ya" and burned rubber pulling out of their as the SA reminded me yet again go give him all "A's.

The truck tracked fine with the steering wheel straight but the front end felt loose. I said this is BS, I'm taking it to an alignment shop, screw the Chevy dealer. I paid $59 for an alignment at the Big-O about 400 feet down the street form the Chevy dealer. I was really concerned about all the bolts being tight since the master mechanic replaced so many un-needed parts.

When the alignment was done I asked for the printout, and I nearly $hit! The front toe was out almost 1 full inch. 1/2 inch on each side. No wonder it felt loose. But at least he got it even on both sides.

I almost drove back to the dealership to shove the alignment printout down the SA's throat but my wife talked me out of it. She said "I don't have enough money on me to bail you out of jail". I ate the $59 and called it an experience. (2 days in the shop, 4 dealer visits, and a lot of aggravation).

All this for a truck that needed the steering column shaft greased. A 20 minute job.

Long story, but... the truth.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
I can believe it DEWFPO, I've seen a lot of "stuff" in the automotive repair biz. You were smart to get it aligned immediately before your front tires went South.

·
Registered
393 Posts
That's incredible and scary too! I'm scared to death to take my FJ to the dealer for any work at all. These trucks are very high tech and require someone who not only knows what they are doing, but will also take the time and care necessary to do the work right. I've read a lot of the repair manuals and some of the procedures are fairly involved and time consuming. Some of these guys seem only semi-literate to begin with so I don't know how they can read anything technical.

You have a lot more patience and restraint than I do. Your wife was right, as they usually are in these cases. It's seldom worth it to react harshly. You have little to gain and a lot to lose in these situations. Best to let it go and take your business elsewhere.

What mostly concerns me with the FJ is any warranty work that may be necessary in the future. I can do nearly any of the work myself, but I would lose out on having Toyota foot the bill. I just know they don't bother torquing things down properly (every time). I don't even like to take my truck to tire shops unless I have to. I cringe when they hit the lugs with an impact wrench even after I requested the lugs to be hand torqued. When I complain they tell me they only spin the nuts on and then torque them. I don't want the inpact used at all. The sockets they use are usually worn and fit loosely which almost always chips the chrome on the lug nuts and sometimes they wobble enough to damage the rims next to the lugs. So then you get rusting lug nuts and the wheels begin to corrode where the plastic coating over the aluminum has been damaged. Keep those idiots away from me and my FJ.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
It's a fact, when you find a good mechanic keep him. Too bad we have to go to the dealerships for warranty work. I always say don't have a plumber do your wiring, if you know what I mean. The best mechanic I ever had was a guy who looked like Elvis P. The guy had to go die and leave me in the lurch. Haven't found anyone as good as Elvis since. :mecry:

·
Registered
177 Posts
Yeah I had a similar issue with my old Mazda MX-6 when it was under warranty. Went in to have my brakes looked at since the brake light was on.
They told me the brake booster was leaking, and that I needed to replace my brake pads too. I said yes to the brake booster, and no to the pads. Went home and took off the front tires, and checked the pads. They were not even close to needing replacing. Sad thing is my cv boots were now leaking, and they weren't before I took it in. The "Service Manager" takes a look at them, and actually tell's me, "They look like they have been cut." I replied well I don't think I would cut my own cv boots. So that leaves your genious mechanics looking for warranty work. He pretty much shut-up after that, and I never went back there, for any work ever again.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Have had some experience with both Toyota and Lexus dealers, remember that for the most part they are indepentently owned and operated and mechanics are paid by the hour for work. I have items overlooked because they were warranty items that shouldn't make a difference but I was disappointed when the signs of failure I noticed but was not picked up by the dealer.

It may be a Toyota, Lexus, but is still not a perfect world. Ask the question, and look for verification. $1100 for hydralic shocks and $1400 for a water pump on on LX 470 with 60k is a wake up. I went to an independent and cut the prices in half.

Not a good lesson.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I would suggest you document all issues not satisfactory to you, Toyota has an excellent Regional Mgr system to pursue unsatisfactory service issues. Generally, it is a very good system to pursue any service issues. As an overall comment, Toyota is more concerned about you than the dealer. Always go to Toyota if your issue is not being pursued to your satisfaction.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts