Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past weekend I headed for the hills and ran hours upon hours in the hills. Towards the end of the trip there was ... well ... I'd like to call it a raging river crossing, but in actuality it was just a really big puddle of water to cross. Using a stick I found the puddle to be roughly a foot deep, probably 4-5 car lengths long and decided to cross. Halfway through the puddle, I found that the water was up to my running boards, but not much higher.

Slow and steady I went but found that steam was coming from the engine under the hood. Obviously the intense heat from the engine mixing with icy cold water isn't a good combo.

No damage was done, but it did raise some questions and concerns.

I'm curious, is that normal with water crossings? What are the chances of cracks/breaks due to the extreme tempature changes? And also, is the FJ(or any offroader for that matter) engineered in such a way to avoid or to mitigate the damage caused, and if not, is that just the chance the average off-roader takes when crossing icy water with a hot engine?

Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
2,984 Posts
In deeper water like that, the catalytic converters and exhaust manifolds will get wet and start the steam bath. No worries there. The FJ is made to handle almost 2 feet of water. But if you plan on doing this water crossing stuff on a semi-regular basis, it would be worth your while to do the scuba driver mods on your rig.

Also, inspect your diff fluid after a water crossing more than 18" deep or so. Water gets in there thru the breather and gets it all gummy.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Look @ their add with the rig going through ice and a river:rofl: no issue there. You have a fording depth of 27" stock you can put on a differential breather for about 12 dollars by your self or have others install it and go a little higher be aware of the air intake in the passenger wheel wheel...you can get a snorkel if you are looking to go deeper. Dont go too fast nice and slow while wheeling works in most situations.

I will get you a link for the "scuba" mod that shadow warrior posted here. Just make sure to change out your diff fluids before the recommended time in your manual if you find yourself submerged for long. I have been wheeling for 2 miles in 2 foot deep water and had no contamination (while stock) I have heard of others who went through even less and did. The scuba mod will give you a piece of mind for cheap I highly recommend it! ONe second let me get that info for you.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
So did we settle Themayor?? any questions?

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
X2 what TrailBus advised - the only potential problem is breather valves stuck in the open position, sucking water into your differential. It's $30 in parts and a few minutes work. Well worth the effort.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Pieces of mud or sand could potentially get wedged in them leaving them open to water seeping in, otherwise they seem to do alright for most people...but peace of mind when things go wrong...is glorious:D come on join the SCUBA DRIVERS club!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hehe, you guys did ease my mind quite a bit, thanks a ton!

The "steam bath" as it was referred to had me worried! I did see the video ... but it's always different when it's your daily driver and not a toy in an advertisement ;) hehe ...

Anywho, I did have some questions regarding the scuba mod, but right now I"m just being lazy and need to sit down and do my research before asking any more questions.

Thanks again ...

Signed,
Sleeping easy now in Denver.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
If you have any questions feel free to post them here or on the scuba thread we will help you with it:D glad we eased your mind!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts