Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been amazed at how many electronics I've managed to wash over the past 2 years.

Digital camera, cell phone, someone else's key fob...

and then last night...that familiar clank in the washer...

my FJ keys!! crap!

Took them out and didn't touch a single button - let them dry for a day and guess what? Beep beep - works just fine.

so did the camera, cell phone, and the other key fob. It's amazing how resistant electronics are to water as long as you don't try to power them up while wet!

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
I've been amazed at how many electronics I've managed to wash over the past 2 years.

Digital camera, cell phone, someone else's key fob...

and then last night...that familiar clank in the washer...

my FJ keys!! crap!

Took them out and didn't touch a single button - let them dry for a day and guess what? Beep beep - works just fine.

so did the camera, cell phone, and the other key fob. It's amazing how resistant electronics are to water as long as you don't try to power them up while wet!
I kid you not i did the same thing this weekend. I was at a large wakeboard event and i was was hopping from one boat to another. So i grabbed all my gear and started to swim to the boat some buddy's were on. When i hopped on i thought " wait, i forgot my key... nope in the pocket soaking wet"

I didn't try to use it til that night (to let any water that could have gotten in dry out) and it worked fine.

·
Registered
283 Posts
My cell phone (Samsung A660) is four years old and has been completely underwater in my pockets in a friends pool several times and a couple ponds. Still works. A couple of the buttons don't work but I can still use it pretty well.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
The best way to dry out your electronics that i have found is to put them in a bag of rice overnight and the rice will absorb the moisture and voila it is good to go.

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
I had the fun experience of running my Razor through a wash AND dry cycle. Works great! Very clean too! Good thing it was a Bosch washer and not my old GE washer or it would be toast.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
I wish I could say the same for an Iphone, but even if it gets one little drop of water on it, it dies out. The keys I dont really care, I drop them everywhere anyways. :D

·
Premium Member
8,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wish I could say the same for an Iphone, but even if it gets one little drop of water on it, it dies out. The keys I dont really care, I drop them everywhere anyways. :D
really?

I walk in the rain using my iPhone - no issues (until the touch screen gets confused by the water)

·
Registered
923 Posts
I kid you not i did the same thing this weekend. I was at a large wakeboard event and i was was hopping from one boat to another. So i grabbed all my gear and started to swim to the boat some buddy's were on. When i hopped on i thought " wait, i forgot my key... nope in the pocket soaking wet"

I didn't try to use it til that night (to let any water that could have gotten in dry out) and it worked fine.
Hmm, must be something in the air. I washed my keys on Sunday. I found them in the bottom of the washer when I was transferring everything to the drier. Walked up from the basement and tried them out. They work like a charm, and they're a lot shinier now.

I wish I could say the same for a cell phone that I had when in college. I returned home one night after far too many adult beverages. For some reason I thought it would be a good idea to wash my clothes, so I threw everything into the washer and went to bed. Woke up the next day, and the cell was dead. Don't drink and do laundry kids. It's just not worth it.

·
Kajun Kim
5,488 Posts
Guys, I am sure glad to know that I can fall in my pool and not screw up my keys!!!

Kim

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
I went surf fishing and forgot to take my keys out of my pocket. They were soaked in salt water and I just let them dry and I had no problems.

·
Registered
8,956 Posts
This past fall, I lost my keys somewhere in my
yard, and did not find them till feb'... pressed
the button and "beep beep"... WORKS GREAT !...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I thought I was lucky when my wife washed my keys. My wife did it with her Chrysler key fob and it was an expensive lesson. When she pulled my keys out of the wash my heart sank, but viola the key fob worked and it was still wet.

·
Registered
8,956 Posts
Now if only they could get the pulleys'
to be waterproof, I'd be REAL happy !..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts