Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Arm rest could stand to be a bit more durable. Four years and the padding is deformed and I'm ready to replace the whole arm rest.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Mine hasn't gotten that bad yet but I consciously avoid putting my arm on the armrest because I know it will wear very quickly if I don't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
If the upholstery material is still in good shape, it's actually a pretty easy fix.
Remove the arm rest, and pull the cover off like taking a sock off inside out. Trim off the worn foam with a razor knife so it's a fairly flat surface on top. Leave the lower portion as is.
I happened to have an old closed cell foam exorcise mat about 3/4" thick, but any piece of dense foam would work...packing foam...whatever??
Lay it upside down on the foam and trace around it. An electric knife works great for cutting about any kind of foam.
Hot glue the piece to the top of the rest, and with the elec. knife or a 4" grinder with a flap wheel, round the edges over and clean up the shape.
It doesn't have to be pretty, it will be covered.
Invert the cover and pull it back on. ( It may have to go off and on a couple of times, to trim the foam to fit.) Re-install.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great info Backlash. Thanks for the reply. ��

I'll give that a try.

·
4-Corners Moderator
4,850 Posts
If the upholstery material is still in good shape, it's actually a pretty easy fix.
Remove the arm rest, and pull the cover off like taking a sock off inside out. Trim off the worn foam with a razor knife so it's a fairly flat surface on top. Leave the lower portion as is.
I happened to have an old closed cell foam exorcise mat about 3/4" thick, but any piece of dense foam would work...packing foam...whatever??
Lay it upside down on the foam and trace around it. An electric knife works great for cutting about any kind of foam.
Hot glue the piece to the top of the rest, and with the elec. knife or a 4" grinder with a flap wheel, round the edges over and clean up the shape.
Invert the cover and pull it back on. ( It may have to go off and on a couple of times, to trim the foam to fit.) Re-install.

Hope this helps.
Yeah this is great info! My driver's side arm rest is pretty depressing right now compared to the armrest in my last FJ that was in great condition. It's almost impossible too to find a driver's side arm rest replacement so I may look into doing this! Or possibly having an upholstery shop do it.

·
Premium Member
3,990 Posts

Hope this helps.
Win^^^^^

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thank you for this! My drivers arm rest was filthy (so dirty/greasy it was shiny!) and felt like metal was poking though the fabric. I disassembled and washed the cover in the washing machine. I cut new top foam out of a pool noodle and reassembled as described below. Looks and feels like new - thanks for saving me $100!

Hope this helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts