Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, it was another great FJ weekend! This time we went up to Flagstaff for our starting point, and from there went into Indian Country. We planned to do the Sunset Crater / Wupatki loop, and then come back to the highway and around to Grand Falls, out on the edge of the Navajo Reservation. Once we got on the Sunset Crater loop, however, we pulled off on a dirt trail and from there navigated all the way to Grand Falls without having to get back on the highway in between. Once we had our fill of the falls, we headed back the way we came and picked up the loop where we left off.

Here are some pics!

More photos HERE

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
OK, here are some videos from Sunday - heading back to Phoenix, we wanted to do as much of it off road as possible. First we tried Schnebly Hill Rd into Sedona the back way, but that was closed. So we went to Prescott, hoping to take the Senator Highway (a one-lane dirt trail) from there to Crown King. Crown King is a little town that used to be a mining camp, and from there it opens up to a nice two-lane graded dirt road that you can take all the way down to Lake Pleasant, northwest of Phoenix.

Anyway, here's where we had to turn around on the Senator Highway. You can see the snow piled up at the spot where folks have stopped going, and though the FJ climbed it without trouble, it just wasn't smart to do it alone, so we turned back:

And here's more of the same after we turned around:

This one I like, because I'm talking about passing other cars that were having trouble, and right on cue, I let the rear end come around. Too much speed for the conditions, no doubt about it. The chunk of snow sliding off the hood should have been an indicator...

But look at how well it corrects itself (I'm not going to completely discount the driver, but the truck itself is well balanced enough and I have to admit, I was glad to hear the traction control chiming in to help):

·
Registered
41 Posts
wow junior...Im not gunna lie, I am just an 'Aw" of your last couple threads you made! I really do enjoy them, and please keep posting more pics and vids! I just wish I knew AZ as good as you...I really don't know how to get to these amazing spots that you have recently posted... And to be honest since I've bought my TT, I have only taken it wheelin once, and was a lil disappointed in the area due to most of it was restricted land. If you don't mind can you post the coordinate's to those waterfalls? Oh and I have another question... For these trips you went on did you deflate?

Thank you much, and great threads! keep them comin:clap:

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You bet, bud. Thanks for the comments! Where abouts are you?

What's funny is that I haven't deflated once. Never needed to touch it yet.

Grand Falls is here: 35.430218,-111.197648 It's not very well known, and it's different every time you go - sometimes it's just pouring like Niagra, sometimes it's dry with little clear pools and ferns and stuff. Really cool place.

The road we took from the Sunset Crater loop I'm pretty sure was this one: 35.346355, -111.408148

·
Registered
41 Posts
You bet, bud. Thanks for the comments! Where abouts are you?

What's funny is that I haven't deflated once. Never needed to touch it yet.

Grand Falls is here: 35.430218,-111.197648 It's not very well known, and it's different every time you go - sometimes it's just pouring like Niagra, sometimes it's dry with little clear pools and ferns and stuff. Really cool place.

The road we took from the Sunset Crater loop I'm pretty sure was this one: 35.346355, -111.408148
Well im in the east valley, to be more specific, the city of Chandler.

Awesome vids! hey in reference to that one vid of where you lost control, were you in 4hi? just thought if one was in 4 wheel drive that should decrease the risk of losing control...right?

thanks so much of the coordinates!! I think ill go next friday. I cant wait.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well im in the east valley, to be more specific, the city of Chandler.
I'm out in Peoria, but we should meet up some weekend.

Awesome vids! hey in reference to that one vid of where you lost control, were you in 4hi? just thought if one was in 4 wheel drive that should decrease the risk of losing control...right?
Yeah, 4Hi. Nothing disabled, and nothing locked. It did really well there, and my comfortable cruising speed was higher than anyone else's we saw on the road. We comfortably passed a number of others. But I had definitely crossed the safe zone for that turn - I was probably doing 45 into the turn, and it was just too much. But react calmly, countersteer gently, let the truck find its path again...

thanks so much of the coordinates!! I think ill go next friday. I cant wait.
If you do, here is the easy route (not the most fun, but the easiest):

Flagstaff, AZ to Unknown road - Google Maps

It's Highway 89 out of Flagstaff to the NE, to Camp Townsend/Winona Rd, to Leupp Rd. Take that until you cross into the Navajo Reservation (You'll see a sign). Immediately, take the left turn at the sign that says "Grand Falls Bible Church" - then take that graded dirt road all the way until you meet the river - the falls are to your left.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm out in Peoria, but we should meet up some weekend.
Im down! We should get something planned out :cheers:

Do you have a radio? I still need to get one. Just not really sure what kind to get... I'm leaning towards the portable ones, reason being I don’t want a big ol clunky thing hanging around the roof and what-not.

Yeah, 4Hi. Nothing disabled, and nothing locked. It did really well there, and my comfortable cruising speed was higher than anyone else's we saw on the road. We comfortably passed a number of others. But I had definitely crossed the safe zone for that turn - I was probably doing 45 into the turn, and it was just too much. But react calmly, countersteer gently, let the truck find its path again...
Hmm...yeah, still very impressive for the speeds you were goin!

If you do, here is the easy route (not the most fun, but the easiest):

Flagstaff, AZ to Unknown road - Google Maps

It's Highway 89 out of Flagstaff to the NE, to Camp Townsend/Winona Rd, to Leupp Rd. Take that until you cross into the Navajo Reservation (You'll see a sign). Immediately, take the left turn at the sign that says "Grand Falls Bible Church" - then take that graded dirt road all the way until you meet the river - the falls are to your left.
Is this that same very trail that is on your video footage? I would love to try and plow right through that snow; you ended up chickening out on :)

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Is this that same very trail that is on your video footage? I would love to try and plow right through that snow; you ended up chickening out on :)
No, sir - that was the Senator Highway - it's a Forest Service Road that heads into the Bradshaw mountains from Prescott - I still wanna go back soon and try to kick its ass. With a partner. lol

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
In you post, regarding the second photo, is that hill in the background volcanic in origin?
Yes sir - they call the whole geologic area the "Volcanic Highlands" - and it's a bunch of extinct volcanos - even the snow-covered peaks you can see in the distance of some pics are volcanic craters.

What's interesting to me about the falls is that the river marks the boundary between the volcanic highlands and the Painted Desert - and you can see the black volcanic rock of the one side versus the pink sandstone of the other. Really stark difference between the two.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Yes sir - they call the whole geologic area the "Volcanic Highlands" - and it's a bunch of extinct volcanos - even the snow-covered peaks you can see in the distance of some pics are volcanic craters.

What's interesting to me about the falls is that the river marks the boundary between the volcanic highlands and the Painted Desert - and you can see the black volcanic rock of the one side versus the pink sandstone of the other. Really stark difference between the two.
I noticed the sandstone in many of your pictures and that is why I questioned the volcanism in the area. That sounds like a neat area geologically to visit. Thank you for the information....too bad I didn't live closer.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.