Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if any of you have heard a weird noise come from the brake pedal when pressing it. Mine makes a weird noise every time I press it; like a suction. The sounds is sort of like the noise a shock absorber would make when you decompress it. The dealer tells me it's normal and can be heard on all FJs.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I was wondering if any of you have heard a weird noise come from the brake pedal when pressing it. Mine makes a weird noise every time I press it; like a suction. The sounds is sort of like the noise a shock absorber would make when you decompress it. The dealer tells me it's normal and can be heard on all FJs.
Mine just started doing it at 600 miles.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Yes, I think I know what you're talking about. I notice it occasionally - like a soft "swish". I assumed it to be the electronic brake force distribution system, and I'm not concerned about it. BTW the truck has a pretty decent brake system

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Anyone else heard this type of noise from their brake pedal? I hoping to get back to the dealer with the feedback I get from all of you.

Thanks.
YES, mine has had this since day one! It is the most annoying thing if you are trying to drive with the radio off in silence. Mine is only happens for the first 1-2 inches of pushing the pedal. It makes a squish sound. Is this common or not. If it isn't, then it is going to the dealership, along with fixing my seat height adjuster (i have to give it 1-3 pumps a day to keep it at the top).

·
Registered
613 Posts
Mine makes a noise, but it is more of a chirp. It almost sounds like a belt is loose for just a second. I thought it was a power steering belt or something for about the first 2 hours. Then I noticed it only occurred right as I first pressed the brake pedal. It is annoying.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I hear it, it sounds like a weird buzz or mechanical servo or something. I've always thought it was the electronic brake assist.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
It's normal

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/problems-dealer-service/60424-funny-noise-feeling-brakes.html

This is not an issue that requires attention, it's a normal effect of the type of braking system on the FJ.

The braking system is highly pressurized, to allow the system's ATRAC and the other traction enhancement systems to work properly. There is an electric pump mounted next to the brake master cylinder that pressurizes the unit when you first start it or sometimes after/during a brake application. It will activate whenever the pressure in the reservoir drops below a certain level.

Pump you brakes a few times with the engine idling and you will hear it activating to re-pressurize after a couple presses of your brake pedal.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts