Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I walk out to my FJ (about 15 months old....8k miles) the other day, and the hood is all bubbled up, as if the top sheet is too big. Strange. And then I pop the hood and take a look, and the top sheet had completely detached from the metal frame that provides the hood structure. There are little adhesive pads that hold the two together, and these had all come apart, for some strange reason. I'll post pics as soon as I take some.

So, I drop the FJ off at the local dealer (Herb Chambers in Boston), and they call a rep out to take a look. After about a week, I'm told through the dealer that the rep says Toyota won't fix the problem and they aren't taking responsibility. Of course, they won't let me talk to the rep who made this decision, hiding behind "policy", and gave me a lot of smug attitude on top of that. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Anyways, my conclusions so far are the following:

1) Toyota service is just as bad as any other company.
2) Herb Chambers has lost me as a service customer.
3) This will probably cost $1500 to fix. Uggh.

·
Registered
282 Posts
So, I walk out to my FJ (about 15 months old....8k miles) the other day, and the hood is all bubbled up, as if the top sheet is too big. Strange. And then I pop the hood and take a look, and the top sheet had completely detached from the metal frame that provides the hood structure. There are little adhesive pads that hold the two together, and these had all come apart, for some strange reason. I'll post pics as soon as I take some.

So, I drop the FJ off at the local dealer (Herb Chambers in Boston), and they call a rep out to take a look. After about a week, I'm told through the dealer that the rep says Toyota won't fix the problem and they aren't taking responsibility. Of course, they won't let me talk to the rep who made this decision, hiding behind "policy", and gave me a lot of smug attitude on top of that. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Anyways, my conclusions so far are the following:

1) Toyota service is just as bad as any other company.
2) Herb Chambers has lost me as a service customer.
3) This will probably cost $1500 to fix. Uggh.

Well is that just a ****er!!! I'm in the same boat as far as my paint chipping goes......the Rep claimed it was "enviromental"........and she (the rep) was a snobby B.... you know what and really seamed clueless as far as her inspection went on my FJ.......try brining it to another toyota dealership!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Well is that just a ****er!!! I'm in the same boat as far as my paint chipping goes......the Rep claimed it was "enviromental"........and she (the rep) was a snobby B.... you know what and really seamed clueless as far as her inspection went on my FJ.......try brining it to another toyota dealership!
guess I'm not allowed to type c o c k e r on here......

·
Banned
3,593 Posts
If it came apart like this....look at the hood at 70 on the hiway....it flaps like a peice of paper....Toyota glued mine....it lasted about 2 weeks..apart again

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
An update: It gets more frustrating. I just called the Toyota customer service number to go through the "official" route, gave them my VIN# and was then told that the dealer (Herb Chambers) had just called in earlier to tell them not to put me in touch with the rep because the "decision was final." Apparently the dealer went into cover-his-a** mode. I just called him up to ask why he would say that, and he denied it and said that he just wanted to make sure they were "aware of what was going on." Totally bizarre and incredibly disappointing.

Bottom line: AVOID HERB CHAMBERS IN BOSTON AT ALL COSTS! Probably the most unprofessional customer service experience I have ever had in any industry....and that includes the airlines! And don't count on Toyota HQ being much more helpful.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If it came apart like this....look at the hood at 70 on the hiway....it flaps like a peice of paper....Toyota glued mine....it lasted about 2 weeks..apart again
Yes...that's exactly it. Although mine actually looks even more unglued than yours.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I remeber seeing a thread where this happened to a member and TOY replaced the complete hood. See if you can find it, as I will...

·
Premium Member
3,985 Posts
wow, maybe go to a different dealer and file a claim with the better business bureau.

·
Registered
268 Posts
So, I drop the FJ off at the local dealer (Herb Chambers in Boston), and they call a rep out to take a look. After about a week, I'm told through the dealer that the rep says Toyota won't fix the problem and they aren't taking responsibility.
How did they explain this as not being a warranty issue? If it is not their fault, they are implying it is yours. Did they explain how this is your fault? Just reading this makes me PO'd. How do think think you ruined your hood in 8K miles?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How did they explain this as not being a warranty issue? If it is not their fault, they are implying it is yours. Did they explain how this is your fault? Just reading this makes me PO'd. How do think think you ruined your hood in 8K miles?
The dealer said that the rep said that he thought something hit the hood because "it was dented and there were significant scratches". But there are NOT any significant scratches (confirmed by the dealer when I first dropped the car off) and of course its "dented" - its the result of the hood coming unglued! I put about half a pound of pressure on the hood and the whole thing goes concave with a bowling ball size dent.

Of course, this is all communicated to me through the dealer. All I want is a chance to discuss things with the rep, but they won't let me. Unbelievable.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I would use high temp. spray adhessive and glue it back down. And use a lot of glue. to hold it in place I would use some sand bags just enought to make contact with the 2 peices and not to dent it. then once it is dry spray some more in the joints just for added insurance. But man that really sucks. I am going to go look at mine right now.

·
Registered
635 Posts
JB weld?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts