Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Okay...at least its good to hear that I'm not crazy and that I really am getting d*cked around by the dealer and the regional rep. The dealer did a good job of acting indignant enough that I was starting to wonder if I was the insane party.

The problem with gluing it myself is that I'm not sure if I can pop the dents out of the hood. I'll might give it a shot, and if that doesn't work, take it to a body shop.

Incidentally, does anyone know the names for the guy in charge of operations at Toyota Motor Sales USA? I want to send a letter reasonably high up the totem pole (above the head of customer relations but just below CEO level) to explain the overall situation, including the service treatment and the overall lack of accountability.

Again, thanks for everyone's help.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Wow!! This is bad, I am going to check mine too!

I had a similar issue with Saturn and had to go way up the chain to make things happen. Keep being persistant, that are not used to that and is your main defense! Good luck!

·
Banned
3,593 Posts
I fixed the paper hood with "liquid nails" after the dealer said no....cost me $1.97 and about 10 minutes of my time....so far it's holding great!!!

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I would go to another dealer. The rep saying it's not their fault is just stupid. Also, maybe you should try your insurance agent...they may be able to offer some insight. I know that if you have repair work done through insurance (my insurance, at least) will go to bat for you if it's not done right. Maybe they can lend a hand in this instance too? I'm really surprised to hear of anyone having this problem...weird.

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
Okay...at least its good to hear that I'm not crazy and that I really am getting d*cked around by the dealer and the regional rep. The dealer did a good job of acting indignant enough that I was starting to wonder if I was the insane party.

The problem with gluing it myself is that I'm not sure if I can pop the dents out of the hood. I'll might give it a shot, and if that doesn't work, take it to a body shop.

Incidentally, does anyone know the names for the guy in charge of operations at Toyota Motor Sales USA? I want to send a letter reasonably high up the totem pole (above the head of customer relations but just below CEO level) to explain the overall situation, including the service treatment and the overall lack of accountability.

Have you looked into the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Have you looked into the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act?
Thanks for the tip....I just did a quick bit of research. It sounds like claiming a Magnusson Moss violation on the warranty would require me to go through the courts, which (I imagine) would cost more than the hood itself. But I'll mention this to the insurer. Once again, thanks for everyone's help!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Had the same issue and after a second visit, my dealer is replacing the entire hood under warranty. I have no idea how something like this can even be questioned!!!!! Mine wasn't as bad as some of the pictures in this thread but it was sure annoying on the freeway.

·
Registered
10 Posts
MY 2007 Black Cherry need a full paint Job and Toyota's So called B-of a Factory Rep. Who Toyota backs a 100 % has finally agreed to paint just about 1/2 of my Fj. What for the 2nd half beats me!
This is very disgusting of Toyota.
This seems to be the direction of action for Toyota.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Im suprised at the level of dis-service we are all recieving from Toyota. I have had simmilar problems getting to aknowledge the wheel shimmy issue. I know its not a luxury vehicle, but it should NOT drive like it is. Maybe a class action suit is in order? That is if enough people are having this problem.

·
Premium Member
16,346 Posts

Sorry to hear about the hood and the overall lack of accountability by both the dealership and Toyota. Hope you get it repaired.

·
Registered
10 Posts
same thing happened to me. So i took it to the service center. they took it to the body shop and filled the gaps between the hood and the frame with foam adhesive. Now it only fixed it about 70% still has some slight movement. Now i have ugly foam all over my hood. I have the Trail teams edition and its only 2 months old with 5k on it.

So this morning i called Toyota corporate and opened a complaint. My hood looks like [email protected] and its not even fixed. They are calling me back on monday. So now the only fix for me that would make me satisfied is a new hood That isnt defective.

My only thought regarding the original adhesive is that it wasnt water proof.

Anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
168 Posts
same thing happened to me. So i took it to the service center. they took it to the body shop and filled the gaps between the hood and the frame with foam adhesive. Now it only fixed it about 70% still has some slight movement. Now i have ugly foam all over my hood. I have the Trail teams edition and its only 2 months old with 5k on it.

So this morning i called Toyota corporate and opened a complaint. My hood looks like [email protected] and its not even fixed. They are calling me back on monday. So now the only fix for me that would make me satisfied is a new hood That isnt defective.

My only thought regarding the original adhesive is that it wasnt water proof.

Anyone else have this problem?

This happened to a brand new TT :huh: :jawdrop: :scared:

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Yup... same problem here. I get up to about 70mph and the entire hood buckles up and down, deflecting probably a good six inches. First time it happened, just about scared the crap out of me... I thought the hood was coming off.

Now I'm kind of used to it, and hey here's a tip that will save you some $$ at the pump! Don't go 70mph! Problem solved... ;)

·
Registered
558 Posts
It seems to me that there is a problem with the Epoxy adhesive... Here is a thought Epoxy will soften with heat. And it seem that the people that are haveing the problem have a Black TT FJ.. Could the black paint be causing the hood to heat up more and softening the epoxy?
Any way if they wont fix it go to a body shop supply shop and buy some auto body panel adhesive and glue it back.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
There was a new TT (white) I believe.. Once something like that comes loose and flops around, it's stretched and probably will never be exactly right. If it happened to be, it'd be replaced one way or another (i.e. warranty or ins). Ron

It seems to me that there is a problem with the Epoxy adhesive... Here is a thought Epoxy will soften with heat. And it seem that the people that are haveing the problem have a Black TT FJ.. Could the black paint be causing the hood to heat up more and softening the epoxy?
Any way if they wont fix it go to a body shop supply shop and buy some auto body panel adhesive and glue it back.

·
Premium Member
6,489 Posts
I like HomeDad's "Liquid Nails" solution.

Another option is a body shop. Somebody on here had the same problem and took it to a BS and they fixed it quick and I think relatively cheaply as well.

I think these regional Toy reps are getting bonuses based on how little they approve to be repaired.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
864 Posts
In the late 90's Ford had a recall issued for the same exact thing on the "Windstar" van, the Mustang and I think the Taurus may have been included. They had a new glue that was to be shot in next to the factory glue spots. I do not recall if the glue was bad batch or if was a all together bad formula.

Hope fully this info is something that may help you in you battle.

:cheers:

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Thanks for the tip....I just did a quick bit of research. It sounds like claiming a Magnusson Moss violation on the warranty would require me to go through the courts, which (I imagine) would cost more than the hood itself. But I'll mention this to the insurer. Once again, thanks for everyone's help!
Did this get resolved?

·
Registered
10 Posts
well i took mine to toyota and they took it to the body shop and used the panel adhesive. but it still has a slight movement. so toyota corporate is calling me today. but the issue is... this is only 2 months old imagine 3 years down the road. The paint will probably crack and have permant damage.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts