Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
This weekend I let my 16yr old son take the FJ on a offroad excursion. He came home told me about the deep water holes and preceded to wash the truck. Today while looking at the crappy wash job I notice waves/depressions in the hood. I look underneath and fine the glue tabs separated between the hood frame and hood sheetmetal. It was getting dark so I took some electricians/plumber putty and put it between the frame and sheetmetal and looks like I have the depressions smoothed but I have fear and interpretation about the future. I am out of warranty so I am looking for long term ideas.

Love the forum to validate issue!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've got the same exact issue with mine - separated at multiple mount points. Michael's Toyota in Bellevue, WA jacking me around on the issue and saying that it isn't their problem. "it appears that someone tried to break it apart??" Time to find another dealer. I can't believe how crappy Toyota service is. I'm seeing a theme here. Perhaps time to switch back to VW/Audi. I NEVER had any bogus issues like this over what is clearly a manufacturing defect.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just bought my 07 used, private party. I noticed the same issue of the bracing separating from the bottom of the hood. A week later, cruising 85 down the highway it started to flex and buckle in the wind. Initially, I feared there was a front end damage from the previous owner despite the clean carfax- until I checked in here. So, I brought it to the dealer where the previous owner had all of the service done (Ed Morse, Delray Beach, FL). They recognized the problem and took it in to have their body shop do the urethane glue repair at no cost. They stated, "we've seen this before and the body shop does a great job. We did one two years ago and it's still holding strong." I was like, fine, sounds great, as long as they remedied the problem I didn't care. There were two small dents towards the front left of the hood, so I asked them if they could call me with an estimate to take them out while they were working on the hood. Well, a day later the call came in- the service manager said he had some good news and some bad news. The bad news was that they screwed up the glue job and it looks worse than when I brought it in, the good news was that I wouldn't have to worry about paying for the dent repair because they're replacing the entire hood. Had to wait a few extra days for it- well worth it. Fortunately, I had a good dealer experience relating to the hood bracing issue. :bandit:

·
Registered
29 Posts
I was lucky on this one. My dealer took one look and sent it to their BS and they gave me the coice of new hood or try to fix. I let them try and repair it, and the seperation at the time of repair was about 3/8 inch on mutiple points in the center.

They used an epoxy that has some flex in it so there is some give. That was 7 months ago and still holding. They warrented it for 18 months (my 3/36 will have already expired) and will replace if necessary.

Anyway the cusp is to NOT press the hood to the struts but fill the gaps with epoxy (as many contact points as possible) and let dry for 8 hours. Then you get rigidity/support without pre-stressing.

I could scrape the original adhesive off easily with my finger. Toyota said it was a bad batch. Duh!

·
Registered
790 Posts
Thanks for bumping this. I did find an Epoxy putty that went between the hood and the struts. Everything is smooth looking from the top and there is no more wavy hood buckling going on at highway speed. I agree with you, my initial approach of weigh the hood down to the strut was the wrong approach. Filling the gap with Epoxy was the way to go. I have not compared to another FJ but my hood must look different to a stock FJ.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks for the bump. Yep —*I've got this issue too.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Let me start by saying i absolutely love this truck, and am beyond impressed with the FJ and its capabilities.

So i purchased my used FJ in December and have also noticed that my hood is detached from the webbing, wish i would have noticed this before i bought it because i have a feeling it came like this (kicks self), however it is still under the 7 year bumper to bumper extended warranty. Took it in to the local dealership today to get it fixed, they say there is nothing they can do about it, Toyota doesn't cover body repairs. Well that pissed me off, this isn't a "repair" (as if i did something to it), this is owning up to a defective part! Still he says there was nothing he could do and referred me to a repair shop. This wasn't the dealership i purchased from since I have moved 4 hours away since then, but im thinking going back to the original dealer is my best bet. I called Toyota customer service and they sent a complaint to the original dealer i purchased from, should hear from them in a few days. Hopefully they will fix/replace the hood. From what it sounds like replacing is the only real fix. There is no real dents in the hood, just flaps in the wind like others have said at highway speeds. However, It only takes one of my idiot friends to jump up there and it'll cave in for sure. Its been a while for this thread, anyone else have any luck with getting this problem fixed?

Attachments

41 - 50 of 50 Posts