Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are debating on bringing our dog (miniature Dachshund, 8 months old) with us out to the Summit but I am worried about altitude sickness. We are planning on staying a night in Denver and then heading to Moab before the Summit. Has anyone had issues with their pets coming out to the Summit from lower areas?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Thanks OP, I was thinking the same thing about our hound dog that's coming with us.

Thanks for the link FJ in PDX

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks OP, I was thinking the same thing about our hound dog that's coming with us.

Thanks for the link FJ in PDX
Hi -- I'm bringing my 5 yr old black lab -- she occasionally hikes at elevations of 5000 feet -- but I too am a lil concerned about her being at such high elevations -- I know I always take a few days to acclimate when I'm skiing in Telluride -- headaches, lethargy -- dehydration.

I have read that if you stop and spend a day or two at an intermediate elevation it helps both humans and adults.

I'm stopping in Moab and its just under 5000 ft elevation...hopefully it helps me Lexi Lu a bit.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I brought my 9 year old German Shepard last year and she was fine. That is coming from sea level. She went on ton's of hikes with us and it never seemed to bother her at all....now me on the other hand. Holy smokes beers are potent at that elevation! :lol:

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
We've brought our miniature Dachshund from sea level to Durango for the last three years of her life (we had to put her down in January at age 18.5 years) and she never had any issues. In fact, she really seemed to feel better in the dry climate. Never took her on high altitude trails, but if that's your concern, I'd suggest that you let puppy have regular access to all the water it wants....and you do the same for yourself and go easy on the brews:cheers:!
This year we're bringing our new 13 week old King Charles Spaniel, so that's our plan for his ample hydration. He'll have a few days to acclimate before we go higher on the trails.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts