Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else seen this? I tried various searches but came back with nothing. It's almost like the sound of an electric arc if you know what that sounds like. A clicky rattle up in the dash near the windshield. I'm hoping someone else has had something like this that can offer advice!

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
Has anyone else seen this? I tried various searches but came back with nothing. It's almost like the sound of an electric arc if you know what that sounds like. A clicky rattle up in the dash near the windshield. I'm hoping someone else has had something like this that can offer advice!

Thanks!
might even be one of Dragons empty rattle cans. under there!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope... nothing in the map box, or the glove box. All clear. It's mostly towards the center of the dash, just under the top of the dash covering plastic. maybe 8-9" behind the radio. I've pulled the radio and checked everything out but all seems fine. Ugh....

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had the same issue, took it in to the dealership and they found the bolts were lose on the passenger airbag. The service agent said they also put some extra foam in there it make sure it didn't continue.

Now I am hearing rattle from the back door any time I go over any pot holes. Going to have to take it in again.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Have you been shooting? I used to do a LOT of shooting from the inside of my 89 4 Runner at gophers on various farms around where i live. I used a semi auto .22 with a 50 round clip, and when you are shooting from the drivers side, the empties would go flying around the cab. So anyways, a few would find their way down into the defrost vents on the dash. Making a rattle sound, and when I'd change from defrost to "feet" mode i'd hear a few like coins in a slot machine moving around. "sigh" the good old days....

Postee

·
Registered
108 Posts

Thanks!
I have the same issue with mine...I thought it was my garmin gps mounted on the window but removed it and still have the "click/pop" sound from the drivers side dash. It's a small problem but it's driving me crazy. It is very random as well, I thought it maybe the dash speaker...haven't figured it out yet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same problem. I've taken all the plastic out to try and isolate the problem.

So far I think it's the actual windshield not sitting properly. When I apply pressure to the windshield it subsides...still can't confirm this is the problem, or a symptom. Drives me crazy

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Is this noise ever present or is it primarily when it's very cold after startup?

I'm getting the same type of thing but primarily when it's cold. Once the vehicle reaches operating temperature, the noise goes away.

This was happeneing on a Taco I had and the Tundra I had too. The dealer indicated it had something to do with the AC lines. Sounded like BS to me but I eventually just got used to it.

I'm sure that isn't what you wanted to hear. Let us know if it happens mostly when it's cold.

Mike

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Have any of you had your windshields replaced? I don't think mine ever made the rattle before I had the windshield replaced. Unfortunately that soft Toyota glass didn't last but a month or so before mine needed replacing. I've taken out the oddments box on the driver's side and it gets better (somehow?) but occasionally comes back. When the oddment box is back in place and screwed in, it rattles like mad. I've even lined the bottom of the box with adhesive foam.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have this frustrating rattle too. It seems to only be when it's cold out but in southern Ohio it seems to always be cold ! I still have my factory windshield as well (knock on wood). I thought it was the lid on the "pistol box" but no luck. It seems to be deeper in the dash or something.

Any help yet ?:confused:

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Mine is intermitent, I do have a lot of noise coming from my driverside BPillar. I have checked everything and am stumped? I thought maybe it was in the upper seatbelt attachment, but now I'm not so sure. It doesn't seem to be getting worse it just annoys me. I'm loving my stereo more and more...;)

·
Registered
108 Posts
I still haven't figured it out...I just got back from the dealer after bringing it in for a few things but as usual they didn't fix anything at all, I really wonder why I even try. (hearing "we can't duplicate the problem" is getting pretty old) The dealer likes to insist if it's so random that they wouldn't be able to repair it since it'd be too difficult to figure it out...I can't wait for the Toyota satisfaction survey.:) :rocket:

The electrical arc sound was one of my problems I had listed and they couldn't duplicate it...funny thing is I was driving home with the stereo off and I counted over 8 times this same symptom.

It can't be the speaker since it happens whether the stereo is on or off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Found it:

Google the following for a PDF picture "NV009-06 Title: UPPER/LOWER WINDSHIELD TICK NOISE:"

Also NOTE that the FJ only has the Upper clips.

I did something alot easier than the below fix recommended by Toyota.

I Located the Clip as described in the PDF and shimmed a very thin piece of metal between the clip and wind shield. Took the metal out, noise is gone:)

Here is the suggested fix by Toyota.

=====

NVH
NV009-06

Title:
UPPER/LOWER WINDSHIELD
TICK NOISE

Models:
'03 - '07 Toyota

September 18, 2006

Introduction

If a creak, tick, or rattle noise is heard at the top or bottom of the windshield, the source of the noise may be the two windshield stoppers bonded to the top of the windshield or the windshield retainers bonded to the lower edge of the windshield. This bulletin provides the recommended repair procedure to eliminate these types of noises from the windshield area.

NOTE :Some vehicles have both stoppers and retainers while others may only have stoppers at the top of the windshield. Use the chart in this bulletin to determine the location of the windshield holding devices.

Applicable Vehicles

^ 2003 - 2007 model year Toyota vehicles.

Required Tools & Material

Warranty Information

Applicable Warranty*:
This repair is covered under the Toyota Comprehensive Warranty. This warranty is in effect for 36 months or 36,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle's in-service date.

* Warranty application is limited to correction of a problem based upon a customer's specific complaint.

Required SSTs

Pin Locations

Repair Procedure

Upper Windshield Glass Stoppers:

1. Remove both sun visors and both A-pillar garnishes, and then carefully lower the front of the headliner to gain access to the windshield stoppers (refer to the appropriate model year Repair Manual for the proper procedure).

NOTE :It is very important that the front of the headliner be lowered carefully and slowly.
Applying too much downward force on the headliner will cause it to develop a permanent crease in the surface material.

The stoppers are located on the inside of the passenger compartment behind the windshield glass blackout section (near the top front edge of the metal roof opening). The stoppers are typically located 20 - 25 cm (7.9 - 9.8 in.) inboard of the top corners of the windshield glass.

2. Cut OFF the tip of the plastic stopper as shown in the illustration.

HINT:
It is sometimes necessary to bend the metal body tab down to gain access to the shaft of the stopper.

3. Once the tip of the stopper has been removed, use a screwdriver to open a gap between the roof panel and the remainder of the plastic windshield stopper.

4. Test drive vehicle prior to reassembly to confirm that the noise has been eliminated.

5. Reassemble the vehicle.

Lower Windshield Retainers:

1. Carefully remove the plastic cowl cover at the base of the windshield and store it in a safe location for reinstallation later (refer to the appropriate model year Repair Manual for the proper procedure).

2. Locate the lower windshield retainers.

The retainers are typically located 140 - 200 mm (5.5 - 7.9 in.) inboard of the lower corners of the windshield. The flat portion of the retainer is adhered to the backside of the windshield with double-sided, foam-backed tape.

3. Use a "Mini" Hacksaw with a fine tooth 10-inch blade to cut OFF the pin portion of the glass retainer flush with the flat portion of the windshield retainer (diagram below shows the windshield retainer location to cut off the plastic pin).

4. Test drive the vehicle to confirm the elimination of the noise.

5. Reassemble the vehicle.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the same noise (I think it is what you are describing) and I know exactly how & when mine started.

I was south bound on I-35 just south of Wichita, Kansas. I'm running ~75 mph into a ~40 mph headwind. All of a sudden a huge gust of wind (above the already 40 mph!), and something pops in the upper cowl/firewall area, and it's rattled ever since. It only does it if I'm driving into a headwind &/or I'm running above 75 mph. I think something came loose in the fresh air ducting around the base of the windshield, where the air comes into the plastic grills around the base of the windshield wiper arms. It sounds like it is at the base of, or just below the center of the windshield.

Anyone ever had those black plastic grills off? how do you get them out?

I haven't taken it to Toyota yet, since I'm at 56k miles.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I found out my driver side dash rattle was coming from bunch of wires inside the dash.

It was driving nuts because it comes and goes, but I have some sort of OCD when it comes to noises I don't want to hear.

Anyways, buy some sponges from auto place, and shove them so that wires would surround them. If you try to push the wires in, it will still make noise.

I did this with every wires inside the dash board and I don't hear a thing anymore.

Oh and I did put some sponges right under the left front speakers just in case.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts