Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
I had something like these before and I had to pull out the map box and the speaker pots. They are attached to the dash with some white clips, and sometimes they get loosen. So make sure they all are pretty tight otherwise you can put some tape, or small pieces of paper towel to stop the rattle noise. At least this stopped the noise that I had on the dash.

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
I have had the same annoying noise in my 2010 FJ for a long time, generally at 65 mph or above. I haven't been able to track it down and it drives me nuts. Could this be the same windshield tick noise as described here? Has anyone else had this problem in a post-'07 toyota? I have had my windshield replaced, but that was after only a couple of hundred miles, so I don't really know if it happened before the replacement was installed.

Found it:

Google the following for a PDF picture "NV009-06 Title: UPPER/LOWER WINDSHIELD TICK NOISE:"

Also NOTE that the FJ only has the Upper clips.

I did something alot easier than the below fix recommended by Toyota.

I Located the Clip as described in the PDF and shimmed a very thin piece of metal between the clip and wind shield. Took the metal out, noise is gone:)

Here is the suggested fix by Toyota.

=====

NVH
NV009-06

Title:
UPPER/LOWER WINDSHIELD
TICK NOISE

Models:
'03 - '07 Toyota

September 18, 2006

Introduction

If a creak, tick, or rattle noise is heard at the top or bottom of the windshield, the source of the noise may be the two windshield stoppers bonded to the top of the windshield or the windshield retainers bonded to the lower edge of the windshield. This bulletin provides the recommended repair procedure to eliminate these types of noises from the windshield area.

NOTE :Some vehicles have both stoppers and retainers while others may only have stoppers at the top of the windshield. Use the chart in this bulletin to determine the location of the windshield holding devices.

Applicable Vehicles

^ 2003 - 2007 model year Toyota vehicles.

Required Tools & Material

Warranty Information

Applicable Warranty*:
This repair is covered under the Toyota Comprehensive Warranty. This warranty is in effect for 36 months or 36,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle's in-service date.

* Warranty application is limited to correction of a problem based upon a customer's specific complaint.

Required SSTs

Pin Locations

Repair Procedure

Upper Windshield Glass Stoppers:

1. Remove both sun visors and both A-pillar garnishes, and then carefully lower the front of the headliner to gain access to the windshield stoppers (refer to the appropriate model year Repair Manual for the proper procedure).

NOTE :It is very important that the front of the headliner be lowered carefully and slowly.
Applying too much downward force on the headliner will cause it to develop a permanent crease in the surface material.

The stoppers are located on the inside of the passenger compartment behind the windshield glass blackout section (near the top front edge of the metal roof opening). The stoppers are typically located 20 - 25 cm (7.9 - 9.8 in.) inboard of the top corners of the windshield glass.

2. Cut OFF the tip of the plastic stopper as shown in the illustration.

HINT:
It is sometimes necessary to bend the metal body tab down to gain access to the shaft of the stopper.

3. Once the tip of the stopper has been removed, use a screwdriver to open a gap between the roof panel and the remainder of the plastic windshield stopper.

4. Test drive vehicle prior to reassembly to confirm that the noise has been eliminated.

5. Reassemble the vehicle.

Lower Windshield Retainers:

1. Carefully remove the plastic cowl cover at the base of the windshield and store it in a safe location for reinstallation later (refer to the appropriate model year Repair Manual for the proper procedure).

2. Locate the lower windshield retainers.

The retainers are typically located 140 - 200 mm (5.5 - 7.9 in.) inboard of the lower corners of the windshield. The flat portion of the retainer is adhered to the backside of the windshield with double-sided, foam-backed tape.

3. Use a "Mini" Hacksaw with a fine tooth 10-inch blade to cut OFF the pin portion of the glass retainer flush with the flat portion of the windshield retainer (diagram below shows the windshield retainer location to cut off the plastic pin).

4. Test drive the vehicle to confirm the elimination of the noise.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just bought my 2007 FJ and have noticed a ticking that sounds like it's coming from the bottom passenger corner of the windsheild... It's infuriating!

It does the tick anywhere from 10mph and up, almost like the dash plastic is touching the windshield and is making the noise.

I'll try doing the clip fix, if I can figure out how to do it. This is driving me nuts

·
Premium Member
441 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
this irritates me when I always hear that squeaking sound like a clip was broken or loose. I hear this sounds especially when the road is not level or small rough roads!... anyone please.. I haven't widen yet the opening gap between the roof panel and glass stopper coz I feel that the sounds is coming from the dash.. behind the cluster gauge (compass,temp,leveling) and the clip will be on top of the windshield (no clips at the bottom)

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
^^^ I would have sworn the noise was coming from the dash, but it turned out it was from the molding above the windshield. Put some painters tape over the molding and windshield and test it out. If the noise stops you've found your problem. If not, I'm sorry - these noises can drive you nuts.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I would have sworn the noise was coming from the dash, but it turned out it was from the molding above the windshield. Put some painters tape over the molding and windshield and test it out.

OK, Ill try this one. What seems to be the problem with that moulding?

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
It can be loose or the clips can be broken (perhaps while having a windshield replaced). If you can diagnose that this is the problem the dealer can add more adhesive or replace the clips.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
I have a rattle coming from the right passenger side, perhaps associated with the seat belt mechanism. Ever since I've cranked up the radio, the rattle has gone away.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I think that rattling sound that coming from the center dash is the moulding above the windshield. A friend of mine keep pressing the said moulding and that there is a sound like a loose clip or what at almost the middle part of the moulding. I tried to stay inside while he keeps on pressing that moulding, and that rattling squeezing sound appear! I keep on pressing that part very hard until the squeezing/rattling sound dis appear, ill keep you posted after the test drive..

·
Registered
221 Posts
Thanks fairbro.. confirmed! that rattling sound coming from my center dash is the molding above the windshield. I just pressed hard and now that irritating sound is gone 98% of the time! thanks!!!

·
Registered
143 Posts
I had a loud metal rattling noise coming from the drivers side where the inner fender well meets the fire wall. They were separating from each other and there was a crack on the inside of the fender well, so I had it welded up and the rattle went away.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mine went away over the winter. Now that it's starting to get warm again, I'm getting the creaking noise.. It's annoying

·
Registered
854 Posts
Pretty sure my new rattle is post new windshield. I took the FJ through the auto wash with blow dryer and that set it off, the rattle must be top cowl piece clip as suggested. New windshield about a month ago, first time auto wash with blow dryer since at it set it off. Dang Safelite has been a real pain for me, they crap half assed the job the first time, two more visits to get it this far, and now it still ain't right.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Found it:

Google the following for a PDF picture "NV009-06 Title: UPPER/LOWER WINDSHIELD TICK NOISE:"

Also NOTE that the FJ only has the Upper clips.

I did something alot easier than the below fix recommended by Toyota.

I Located the Clip as described in the PDF and shimmed a very thin piece of metal between the clip and wind shield. Took the metal out, noise is gone:)

Here is the suggested fix by Toyota.

=====

NVH
NV009-06

Title:
UPPER/LOWER WINDSHIELD
TICK NOISE

Models:
'03 - '07 Toyota

September 18, 2006

Introduction

If a creak, tick, or rattle noise is heard at the top or bottom of the windshield, the source of the noise may be the two windshield stoppers bonded to the top of the windshield or the windshield retainers bonded to the lower edge of the windshield. This bulletin provides the recommended repair procedure to eliminate these types of noises from the windshield area.

NOTE :Some vehicles have both stoppers and retainers while others may only have stoppers at the top of the windshield. Use the chart in this bulletin to determine the location of the windshield holding devices.

Applicable Vehicles

^ 2003 - 2007 model year Toyota vehicles.

Required Tools & Material

Warranty Information

Applicable Warranty*:
This repair is covered under the Toyota Comprehensive Warranty. This warranty is in effect for 36 months or 36,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle's in-service date.

* Warranty application is limited to correction of a problem based upon a customer's specific complaint.

Required SSTs

Pin Locations

Repair Procedure

Upper Windshield Glass Stoppers:

1. Remove both sun visors and both A-pillar garnishes, and then carefully lower the front of the headliner to gain access to the windshield stoppers (refer to the appropriate model year Repair Manual for the proper procedure).

NOTE :It is very important that the front of the headliner be lowered carefully and slowly.
Applying too much downward force on the headliner will cause it to develop a permanent crease in the surface material.

The stoppers are located on the inside of the passenger compartment behind the windshield glass blackout section (near the top front edge of the metal roof opening). The stoppers are typically located 20 - 25 cm (7.9 - 9.8 in.) inboard of the top corners of the windshield glass.

2. Cut OFF the tip of the plastic stopper as shown in the illustration.

HINT:
It is sometimes necessary to bend the metal body tab down to gain access to the shaft of the stopper.

3. Once the tip of the stopper has been removed, use a screwdriver to open a gap between the roof panel and the remainder of the plastic windshield stopper.

4. Test drive vehicle prior to reassembly to confirm that the noise has been eliminated.

Lower Windshield Retainers:

1. Carefully remove the plastic cowl cover at the base of the windshield and store it in a safe location for reinstallation later (refer to the appropriate model year Repair Manual for the proper procedure).

2. Locate the lower windshield retainers.

The retainers are typically located 140 - 200 mm (5.5 - 7.9 in.) inboard of the lower corners of the windshield. The flat portion of the retainer is adhered to the backside of the windshield with double-sided, foam-backed tape.

3. Use a "Mini" Hacksaw with a fine tooth 10-inch blade to cut OFF the pin portion of the glass retainer flush with the flat portion of the windshield retainer (diagram below shows the windshield retainer location to cut off the plastic pin).

4. Test drive the vehicle to confirm the elimination of the noise.

I see this post is very old.

I have a 2012 FJ and I have a clicking/ticking sound emanating from the passenger side dash that starts at 80k and goes away at about 110 k. NO ticking sound below 80k. I am going to try the fix noted here and will let others know.

The ticking noise drives me insane.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts