Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2010 FJ with 113k , 3inch lift, camburg ucas

My fj has a takeoff vibration that I can only feel in my seat when im taking off from a stop. Almost feels like the drive shaft is out of balance. Its like a wobble for less than a second and it happens right as the rpms drop when switching from 1st -2nd gear shift. One thing I would like to point out is that this started one day when I was offroading and instead up pushing the 4wd lever forward to get out of 4wd I slammed the gear selector into park as I was going 35 mph looking out of the window. It came to a terrible stop making terrible noises . Anyway after that its been doing this .

Lets be clear here . It is not a "shudder" because after take off its smooth. No wobble or weird vibrations. just super low speed wobble when shifting from first to second gear.

Things I have replaced to try to figure this out .

1. Reman transmission from Toyota . - Free from my aftermarket warranty because they thought it was transmission related.
2.Exhaust hangers (rubber things)

The exact same vibration is there with the new trans so it must be somewhere else in the driveline.

I was thinking maybe I twisted the driveshaft or something when I slammed the trans into park while going 35mph ??? There is no highway speed vibration and it feels smooth .

Maybe a transmission mount ? could the torque have loosened the trans mount or broken internally. If that's even possible?

This is eating away at me . Im literally going to trade this thing if I cant figure it out. Its driving me insane.

There is another thread here that has the same issues with a few other users but no one ever posted an answer.

Keeping my fingers crossed someone knows what to do .

Thanks

Thomas

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,147 Posts
Ugh that’s terrible...self inflicted wounds are the worst :mecry: Maybe something to do with transfer case? Don’t give up - the answer is out there!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
haven't tried 4 lo but YES it does in 4 hi the same as 2 wheel drive .

thanks for the input guys ..

I tried making a 4k video of the driveshaft to see if it was bent but it looks pretty good on the video.

Has anyone had a bad transmission mount? what does it feel like?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BUMP >>>>

Just went on a 800 mile trip. I noticed that the vibration from 1st to 2nd is more pronounced when going up a steep incline from stop.

the vibration is felt only in my driver seat bottom.

It has not changed over 800 miles of driving on and offroad.

Anyone ?

·
Registered
15 Posts
BUMP >>>>

Just went on a 800 mile trip. I noticed that the vibration from 1st to 2nd is more pronounced when going up a steep incline from stop.

the vibration is felt only in my driver seat bottom.

It has not changed over 800 miles of driving on and offroad.

Anyone ?
Without looking at it the only other thing I can think of is either there is an issue with the transferr case (I'm new to FJ's and don't know the specifics of how this transferr case works) or when they they replaced the transmission they didnt replace the torque converter for some reason and that is where your vibration is coming from.

·
トヨタ Master
7,974 Posts
Have you had a good U-joint inspection or checked the rear driveshaft for irregularities? Any noise associated with this vibration? Have you looked at your T-case and rear differential fluid?

Reactions: jamesepoop

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I checked both T-case fluid and Read diff fluid , both look good .

As for the driveshaft , I don't see any irregularities but that's while sitting still . Everything is buttoned up nice. I don't have any vibrations at any speeds its just 1st to 2nd shift.

Also the torque converter is new. The same exact vibration is present before and after new transmission.

Im going to pull the rear drive shaft and drive around in 4wd to see if that changes anything.

PLease keep the ideas coming .

I also checked all the mounts along the driveline this morning . everything looks in order .

·
トヨタ Master
7,974 Posts
Take the rear driveshaft off and wobble around the u joint ends, looking for play, excessive looseness, or binding.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the driveshaft is brand new .

I got the updated driveshaft from Toyota that stopped the "bump".

Ill post what i find out .

·
トヨタ Master
7,974 Posts
Just because it's new, doesn't mean it's balanced correctly or a faulty joint wasn't installed. This is a simple process of elimination when you drive it without the shaft. While you have it out, try and move the yoke up and down or side to side as well. This will be checking for play in the tail shaft of the transfer case.

Reactions: Sparky of SoCal

·
Registered
39 Posts
Did you drive it with shaft out yet?

·
Registered
39 Posts
From pic it seems like the rear diff is able to walk quite easily? Check all bushings and bars that would effect how the rear housing is held in proper alignment (ujoint angle wise).

The reason the 1-2 shift is worse is that there is more torque applied in lower gear causing housing to walk, that it can't apply in higher gear.

Also check that tcase mount has not separated from the rubber.

·
Registered
39 Posts
From what I see in video, the rear ujoint angle is probably out enough at 1/2 shift to cause what you feel in the seat.

While drive shaft is out have it checked for tube runout. Any machine shop with a lathe should be able to do this.

Better yet a powertrain shop that builds driveshafts.

·
Premium Member
2,158 Posts
Check you engine and trans mounts. Even have someone put it in gear and look to see if you are getting slot of movement .

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I checked all the mounts and they all look pretty good . I agree with the "walking" … im about to take out the driveshaft just wanted to post a few vids first.

I used the torque break method with a friend and opened the hood to see if I had any play in the engine bay both in drive and reverse.

and layed next to the vehicle and looked at the trans mount . It didn't budge.

I do however have 2 rear shocks leaking oil and the RR is bad .

I cant tell if any of the linkage on the rear is bad other than visibly looking and pulling in them . They all "look" ok .

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
rear camera facing rear diff

these videos are 360 vids so if you are on your phone you can look around and zoom in …. The RR lower link actually looks like is has some play in it going from reverse to drive . Plus the shock is busted .

·
Registered
39 Posts
I would say from what video shows that dshaft seems ok. What I am thinking of is a possible tube slight twist from the sudden lockup but very unlikely but still possible. (something to rule out) IF this was case vibration would get worse with speed.

Look very closely at anything that could have gotten tweaked from rear housing trying to rotate the pinion down (as in wheels locked up ) It may be very subtle, or just a little too much play in a bushing now.

Good luck

1 - 20 of 78 Posts