Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have owned a 2007 FJ for 10 years now and it's starting to show its age. In particular, I now have a leak from a rusty rear diff cover. I just noticed it is non-replaceable but have heard there may be weld-on replacements available. I have seen covers for other Toyotas (Dorman), but no listing for FJs. Wondering if anyone can direct me to the correct item. I'm hoping I'm not the first to have to deal with this problem! Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Differential cover. The rear diff does not have a bolt-on cover, it's welded to the cast differential case. Common to many Toyotas and there are weld-on replacements available () for Tacoma, 4Runner,... but not finding an FJ-specific one. I asked Dorman (who make one for 4Runner/Tacoma) and they don't have one that will fit the FJ. I could expand my search if I knew which other Toyotas use the same rear end. I'm guessing I'm not the first to have this issue and doubt everyone who does swaps axles just to fix a leaky cover ($$$$)!

·
Registered
2008 Voodoo 6mt
34 Posts
Fellow Canadian here. I fixed a Previa cover with JB weld, HOWEVER please have a very good look at all the suspension brackets and specifically their welds to the axle for corrosion. There are a few spots that trap our lovely winter road slurry blend of salt, sand and beet 'juice' if you happen to be in the zone. Your axle may be rusted out on other areas....hopefully not though!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The voice of reason! JB Weld works for me, plus I can do it in-place. Might add a layer or 2 of fibreglass mat over top since it's obviously thin/weak at this stage. Tks.

·
Premium Member
2013 Trail Teams <>< <>< <*((^(((><
336 Posts
Low Range Offroad

Not sure if this is what you are looking for.

2007-2013 FJ Cruiser Differential Armor, Trail-Gear (300654-KIT)
2007-2013 FJ Cruiser Differential Armor, Trail-Gear (300654-KIT)
View Product Page
$49.50
Protect your differential gears from unnecessary damage. Trail-Gear now offers weld on rear differential Armor for 2007-2013 FJ Cruiser. Precision Laser Cut from 1/4” A36 Steel, then CNC formed to provide the best protection. Part is shipped raw, and requires painting after welding. Learn More

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. I'm looking for a replacement diff cover to stop a leak - too late for armor/protection haha. Would probably be a good add-on once I get the leak stopped though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts