Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 104 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,062 Posts
Thanks Mo :). I think since welders are tools, it should be in tools section. It might have been Larry that moved it to Technical discussion. Thanks for rescuing it from off topics though. :)
We could all be rescued from off-topic. :rolleyes:

M

·
Registered
219 Posts
wait is 220 out the wall? I guess 110 is out the dryer? Btw I know nothing about electricity except that your mouth tingles if you chew on wires :)

All electric coming into a building is at least 220. It is split into 110 @ your breaker box. If the garage has electric, it might be worth talking to an electrician or a friend who knows in order to see if the service in the garage can handle the pull of a welder. It is an easy job to d.i.y. but if you don't feel comfortable with it I wouldn't expect an electrician to charge too much.

·
Registered
584 Posts
All electric coming into a building is at least 220. It is split into 110 @ your breaker box.
The problem though is that his garage is separate from the house feed. He may only have subfeed to the garage of 30 amps to cover basic lights and outlets but it is certainly worth looking into.

Here's the dilemma though, pay an electrician a few hundred bucks to get 220 to the garage and buy a low cost stick welder or pay the $500 for a good MIG welder and keep the electrical as is?

You'll make lots of new friends with a MIG welder, TRUST ME, and you'll be glad to have the MIG in the long run even if you aren't welding every day.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
I would first have the electric feed to the garage checked out. Most likely it is a Sub Panel with at least a 50 AMP service.

If the panel is adequate for a 220 outlet I would go ahead and put one in. This is really not a hard job and should not run you much money.

If you are really serious about doing some welding I would personally go with nothing less than a 220V MIG setup with shielding gas (argon or argon mix). I understand that you are on a budget, but this is truly a case where you get what you pay for. Something with a 30% duty cycle will serve you well. My OPINION is that you will only be let down by a $100.00 HF MIG welder.

As stated by others, take a class. Many High Schools and Trade Schools have introductory welding classes in the evening. The class will not only teach you the basics of welding it will also show you the differences between stick, MIG and TIG welding and their benefits and draw backs.

No matter what route that you take, find a source for scrap steel that you can practice on. Try motorcycle and personal water craft retailers, many times their crates have steel in them that just goes to the scrap yard.

Good luck :)

·
Registered
780 Posts
I see im outnumberd here:lol:, ok iv done some looking and hers what i found,

weldersdirect.com

lincoln mod k2700, 215 amp 30% duty 220v $1499

Hobart handler 187, 187 amp, 30% duty 220v $799

Miller 180 amp, 30% duty 220v $805

all 3 will handle gas shield.

Shipping is free, I did find some a little cheaper on other sites but by the time you added shipping they were more. you might be able to find them cheaper, i didnt search for long.(maby ebay)

Hope this helps

col

col

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Thanks for all the help folks! I know you get what you pay and i usually go all out but Im trying to first see if this is going to be something I can handle. I figure I can make all of my own mods for half the cost of what they would cost from a retailer.
I really like the look of the Hobart welder that Col555 recommended. Hobart Handler 125 Wire Welder (115 Volt)
It looks like I can easily just plug this into the wall as well right?

What do you think? I can try without gas and always add it for a 100 bucks down the road. 350$ shipped is also very inviting.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
OPINION
Buying a 110V welder is like putting a bar size fridge in your kitchen. Yeah it will keep stuff cold but its not even capable of doing half the job. Good welders just cost more that you are willing to spend.

·
Registered
780 Posts
yes mark,thats a good one, and a good idea to go for the Mig kit later, yes it uses 110v and has a 20% duty cycle.

col

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
OPINION
Buying a 110V welder is like putting a bar size fridge in your kitchen. Yeah it will keep stuff cold but its not even capable of doing half the job. Good welders just cost more that you are willing to spend.
I will keep this in mind for sure. Thanks for your input!

yes mark,thats a good one, and a good idea to go for the Mig kit later, yes it uses 110v and has a 20% duty cycle.

col
Thanks for the clarification

·
Registered
780 Posts
OPINION

A GOOD welder can weld with a cheap machine just as good as he can with an EXPensive one, Maby the guy cant afford a good 220v machine, or maby he dont want to do anything real big, your tube bumper is great, well designed and well made from what i saw but there is nothing on there that couldnt be welded with a 110v welding set.(even a $100 HF set)

col

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
OPINION

A GOOD welder can weld with a cheap machine just as good as he can with an EXPensive one, Maby the guy cant afford a good 220v machine, or maby he dont want to do anything real big, your tube bumper is great, well designed and well made from what i saw but there is nothing on there that couldnt be welded with a 110v welding set.(even a $100 HF set)

col
I can dig a pool with a hand shovel too. A cheap machine is just that cheap. $800-$1,500 is not expensive for a welder. I firmly do not agree with your position. A GOOD welder is willing to spend the money on proper tools, not try to get by with cheap crap. Just like any trade out there, you can tell the craftsman by the tools he owns and uses. You wont find a custom wood carver using K mart chisels.

·
Registered
780 Posts
So do you dissagree that you could have welded your tube bumper with a 110v machine?

The OP is not a welder, he has never welded before so why would he spend $1000 on a machine he might only use once a year(plus $200 to get a 220v outlet in his grage) Im not arguing that a good machine is better for someone who uses one a lot, im saying the op asked for advice on a cheap machine

col

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
So do you dissagree that you could have welded your tube bumper with a 110v machine?

The OP is not a welder, he has never welded before so why would he spend $1000 on a machine he might only use once a year(plus $200 to get a 220v outlet in his grage) Im not arguing that a good machine is better for someone who uses one a lot, im saying the op asked for advice on a cheap machine

col
I am not going to continue to argue the point, I stated my opinion. A 110 machine simply does not get the penetration that a 220 machine does. To answer your question, no I could not have built the bumper with a 110 machine. I would not have enough confidence in the level of penetration of the welds.

·
Registered
780 Posts
You mean Fusion, penetration has nothing to do with fusion, and if you have anything over 1/4in thickness on your bumper i will agree with you, anything under would have plenty of fusion.
If you think 130 amps on a cheap welder has more fusion than 130amps on a expensive welder
you had better read some welding theory

col

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Look, I was simply trying to help the guy out with some real world experience. You like the cheap welder, fine, have at it. He likes the cheap welder too, just fine. Have a nice day :)

·
Kajun Kim
5,489 Posts
Ok guys lets just agree to play nice, OK?

·
Kajun Kim
5,489 Posts
Thanks fellas!! Really Thank You!! It is very cool to have a discussion without folks getting ugly. I wish the rest of the family could do the same sometimes.

21 - 40 of 104 Posts