Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Banned
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in the area of a local Toyota dealer while running some errands and thought I would stop by to have them check out my vibrating driver's side mirror that's been going on for about a month now. After almost an hour waiting, a tech comes up to me while I was waiting in the FJ, pushes on the mirror and says the motor has play in it and he'll order another one. Over 30 minutes later someone comes up to me and hands me my keys saying that since the mirrors were painted black and therefore not OEM equipment anymore, there was nothing they could do about it. They claimed they even called the Toyota hotline...blah blah. I said, so since it's painted, that means it's not a Toyota part anymore? HE SAID YES! I seriously thought about going and pulling the Toyota emblem off the friggin thing and asking him if it was no longer a Toyota. I said are you aware of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty act that states in a nutshell that you have to prove that me adding black paint to my mirror causes it to malfunction and vibrate, rendering it useless? He just started to say that they couldn't cover it again, and I said I've already heard your premeditated response, took my keys and left. Any of you with painted mirrors had problems and had to get them warrantied?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Sounds like he puts the dick in ridiculous

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
is their thinking that you popped the mirror out to paint it, and possibly stretched the grooves that hold the mirror and motor?

·
Banned
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
is their thinking that you popped the mirror out to paint it, and possibly stretched the grooves that hold the mirror and motor?
You know I told the guy that I unbolted the mirror from the door and just taped off the glass to paint it. He never questioned me about the painting process or not. Just the fact that they're painted a different color makes them unable to warranty it. If all else fails I'll go to an auto paint store and get some silver paint and clear coat and paint it silver...and just to be an ass, go back to the same dealer.

·
Banned
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice dealer you went to there.

I would suggest discussing the issue with service manager and/or going to another dealer. I can't see how any rational dealership could stand behind such a position but I've been wrong before...
Here's the pathetic part...I looked at his name tag and saw "service manager." I was like :O!

Something I did forget to add...some smartass thought he'd be funny and set off the alarm on the car next to me when I was standing by it. I told him to stand in front of mine and let me set it off. I'm pretty sure two Wolos would ring some ears. Second thought that came to mind was the keys in my hand...but it wasn't the dealers car, someone else's so I just put them back in my pocket.

·
Registered
852 Posts
You know I told the guy that I unbolted the mirror from the door and just taped off the glass to paint it. He never questioned me about the painting process or not. Just the fact that they're painted a different color makes them unable to warranty it. If all else fails I'll go to an auto paint store and get some silver paint and clear coat and paint it silver...and just to be an ass, go back to the same dealer.
:lol:

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Thanks for the warning. I'll make sure not to paint my FJ or else the entire vehicle will be out of warranty. Oh crap, I painted my silver bumper wings :(

·
Registered
5,172 Posts
Wow!

Sounds like two attitudes collided there. :simmadown:

Call the dealership and ask for the "customer relations manager" and then call Toyota's Customer Experience Center at (800) 331-4331

Good Luck

(if necessary, I understand it's customary and acceptable to go back to the service lane and "punch him in the throat" if you don't ultimately get satisfaction from the above recommendations)

BTW: Where are you and this stellar dealership located?

·
Banned
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow!

Call the dealership and ask for the "customer relations manager" and then call Toyota Customer Experience Center at (800) 337-4331

Good Luck

(if necessary, I understand it's customary and acceptable to go back to the service lane and "punch him in the throat" if you don't ultimately get satisfaction from the above recommendations)
Lol, I was polite when I asked about the warranty and said I understood that they couldn't warranty it. It was when he said it was no longer an OEM part that I threw in the pitch about the paint making the mirror vibrate. Keep in mind I had already been working all morning changing out a busted coilover =\

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I agree With Bostonian1976. Althought there are plenty dealers around that knows jack about anything. But ,there are a lot knows all about what we do with our vehicles and how we mod and change things. And that effects their judgment of how they should handle each claim. Dealer for instance where I got my FJ check out the You Tube of Action clips of FJ. Sometimes the decision is not always right on the claims but I'll try another dealer. As long as not a big ticket item,. I would let it go not worth the hassle

·
Banned
2,479 Posts
Not to put a turd in your punch bowl, but is there a possibility that you damaged/stretched something when you unbolted it? "The motor has play in it" doesn't make any sense to me. It seems like it would be a loose cable or something like that which could be tightened, but I've never fiddled with my mirrors so don't know how there set up for sure.

IF the problem was due to you unbolting the mirror (and I'm not saying that it is), would you still expect the dealer to cover the expense of adjustment or repair?

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
Sounds like he puts the dick in ridiculous
No sheet!

Wow!

Call the dealership and ask for the "customer relations manager" and then call Toyota's Customer Experience Center at (800) 337-4331

Good Luck

BTW: Where are you and this stellar dealership located?
Great info here. BTW is there a WHAT TO DO WHEN YOU NEED TO GO TO THE DEALER THREAD on our forum. I think this is sound advice.

Not to put a turd in your punch bowl, but is there a possibility that you damaged/stretched something when you unbolted it? "The motor has play in it" doesn't make any sense to me. It seems like it would be a loose cable or something like that which could be tightened, but I've never fiddled with my mirrors so don't know how there set up for sure.

IF the problem was due to you unbolting the mirror (and I'm not saying that it is), would you still expect the dealer to cover the expense of adjustment or repair?
Oh that is sick. A turd in a punch bowl :rofl:

·
Banned
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

If it was a fault of mine, no I wouldn't expect them to cover it. The thing is, there are 3 bolts holding the mirror to the truck and one wire harness. I've taken off mirrors off two different FJs and even popped the glass off another one and those are fine. Mine, on the other hand, only rattles with one. I don't think there are any cables inside. I'm pretty experienced with the FJ I think. I've installed my own lift, exhaust, CAI, Y-pipe, stereo system with sound deadener even on the roof, headers, and bumpers. I know my truck inside and out and where everything is at. Funny thing is, I haven't ever messed up anything, or so it seems, until this mirror. Hopefully I can get it worked out :mecry:.

·
Banned
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I agree With Bostonian1976. Althought there are plenty dealers around that knows jack about anything. But ,there are a lot knows all about what we do with our vehicles and how we mod and change things. And that effects their judgment of how they should handle each claim. Dealer for instance where I got my FJ check out the You Tube of Action clips of FJ. Sometimes the decision is not always right on the claims but I'll try another dealer. As long as not a big ticket item,. I would let it go not worth the hassle
Well, conservatively speaking, the mirror isn't a big ticket item, but it impairs my vision because it rattles so bad it's hard to see how far cars are away from me. I really hate to have to buy one when it's never even been disassembled.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Use the Nissan silver and see if that works; what next the warranty is void if you wear flip flops on a Thursday in December?

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
Well, conservatively speaking, the mirror isn't a big ticket item, but it impairs my vision because it rattles so bad it's hard to see how far cars are away from me. I really hate to have to buy one when it's never even been disassembled.
Well, if they are not covering it, and you do tinker
with things yourself, just open er' up and find the
loose problem, and see if you can fix it with some
type of shim or such to tighten the looseness up...
I understand the dealer not wanting to cover it
only due to they know you had it off the vehicle
and only have your word on what was actualy done
with it... This is one of those times that you need
to have a good relationship with the service rep
and manager... good luck... Hope another dealer
may be able to help you out...

·
Banned
2,479 Posts
If it was a fault of mine, no I wouldn't expect them to cover it. The thing is, there are 3 bolts holding the mirror to the truck and one wire harness. I've taken off mirrors off two different FJs and even popped the glass off another one and those are fine. Mine, on the other hand, only rattles with one. I don't think there are any cables inside. I'm pretty experienced with the FJ I think. I've installed my own lift, exhaust, CAI, Y-pipe, stereo system with sound deadener even on the roof, headers, and bumpers. I know my truck inside and out and where everything is at. Funny thing is, I haven't ever messed up anything, or so it seems, until this mirror. Hopefully I can get it worked out :mecry:.
In that case, you definitely should press the matter, volunteer no information other than "there is nothing that was done in painting the mirror that could have possibly damaged the mirror" and stick to your guns. Go over, under, around - to another dealer if possible and you'll probably get it covered. It's just too bad that it seems you are dealing with a prick service manager. Good luck!

·
Registered
199 Posts
not an OE part, tell the idiot to unbolt the mirror and look at the damn part number on the back!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts