Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

61 - 80 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
I was done with mods (aside from oem fogs)

But today wife says FJ MUST have rear ladder

Ugh dont need one

Now searching for rear ladder: not sure if they are shiny black or matte finish (gobi), like roof rack?

·
Registered
527 Posts

Ugh dont need one

Now searching for rear ladder: not sure if they are shiny black or matte finish (gobi), like roof rack?
I have the Baja Ladder. It matches the Baja rack matte powder coat, so a little shinier than the OEM. It is nice to have at the roadside or in parking lots to access RTT, but you still have to be athletic (sober) to contort yourself and keep your balance, especially on the lower rungs.

Remember the rear window can only be cracked open with ladder attached. Note the Gorilla tape wrapped where the open window contacts the ladder. I also used extra foam tape to protect the paint at attachment points.

A key consideration for me was that the Baja ladder requires no drilling, but some other cheaper models do. Not sure about Gobi. You might find a pristine used one like I did on Craigslist, Letgo, OfferUp, or Close5.

Attachments

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #70

Ugh dont need one

I have the Baja Ladder. It matches the Baja rack matte powder coat, so a little shinier than the OEM. It is nice to have at the roadside or in parking lots to access RTT, but you still have to be athletic (sober) to contort yourself and keep your balance, especially on the lower rungs.

Remember the rear window can only be cracked open with ladder attached. Note the Gorilla tape wrapped where the open window contacts the ladder. I also used extra foam tape to protect the paint at attachment points.

A key consideration for me was that the Baja ladder requires no drilling, but some other cheaper models do. Not sure about Gobi. You might find a pristine used one like I did on Craigslist, Letgo, OfferUp, or Close5.
Thank you

Yeah debating baja vs gobi 🙂

·
Registered
1,797 Posts

Ugh dont need one

How come your wife wants a ladder? Are you storing lots of stuff on the roof when you travel? You know you can stand on your sliders with your doors open, stand on the top of your tire or stand on your rear bumper with back door open to access anything on the roof. What is it that she is storing up on the roof?

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
How come your wife wants a ladder? Are you storing lots of stuff on the roof when you travel? You know you can stand on your sliders with your doors open, stand on the top of your tire or stand on your rear bumper with back door open to access anything on the roof. What is it that she is storing up on the roof?
The car that the FJ replaced, we have a 21 cubic feet Thule roof box. I haven't stored anything YET on the FJ, but wife says ladder is needed. Personally I would like to live without the ladder. Even though I don't use rear window, I can see sometimes I may use it.

I mod my stuff (on my own), in 45 cars owned, wife has NEVER noticed or MENTIONED a single modification. Keeps coming home and saying "you need to buy a ladder"

LOL

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
The car that the FJ replaced, we have a 21 cubic feet Thule roof box. I haven't stored anything YET on the FJ, but wife says ladder is needed. Personally I would like to live without the ladder. Even though I don't use rear window, I can see sometimes I may use it.

I mod my stuff (on my own), in 45 cars owned, wife has NEVER noticed or MENTIONED a single modification. Keeps coming home and saying "you need to buy a ladder"

LOL
<climbs on soapbox>

This is the last thing I will say about this and I am doing this because I can tell you are picky about your stuff. Here is a thought experiment for your wife. Open the rear door. Have her stand on the rear bumper/rear floor --- can she reach into the hypothetical Thule Box? Have here stand on the sliders and top of rear tire -- can she reach into the hypothetical Thule Box?

OK now imagine you have the ladder, the roof rack, and the Thule box. She climbs the ladder to the top to access the Thule Box. Once she is at the roof, where is she going to position her body to get better access to the Thule box than she would have with the rear hatch open? How about her knees and or feet -- where are they positioned to get into the Thule box? Is she standing or kneeling on the roof after climbing up from the rear? Unless she is standing on the roof rack portion, her weight is going to dent the roof. Ok, now visualize the front of her shoes as she is climbing the ladder? Are her shoes touching or scraping the paint as she climbs or is she just carefully placing her toes/balls of her feet on the rung of the ladder so as not to scrape against the paint? Is she going to be comfortable hanging onto very narrow ladder about 6.5' in the air while balancing over roof rack and reaching into Thule box placing/or pulling whatever she needs with one hand/arm while holding onto either ladder or roof rack?

Haven't used a Thule box too often on my FJ, but I can tell you that I am standing on my sliders, or the top of my rear tire to get into the Thule box from the side. While I might be able to get into the rearward portion of the box from the back, I still have to climb up from the side to unlatch it first and once open, I can reach into it from the back by standing on my rear bumper/floor with the hatch open.

I frankly dont think she has thought through the positioning and logistics of a rear ladder including foot placement. I only see them useful for people with an actual platform rack where they are climbing up and standing on the platform rack such as getting into a rooftop tent. You are still running the stock OEM rack right? Have you even figured out how exactly you would attach a rooftop box to the OEM rack?

<climbs off soapbox>

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
We all know how this ends.

Your wife wants a ladder.

3 weeks later she hates it and says i never wanted a ladder.
My wife drives a 6 figure British sports car. She has NEVER cared about my cars, my toys, my mods. This week, she took the FJ to work 3 out of the 5 days! In last 16 years, she has NEVER DRIVEN a single car I own.

FOr her to even SUGGEST I actually MOD something is surprising. I asked her where she got the idea today. Said she saw a few new TRD PRO at the dealer (across from her office), all had ladders, and she liked the look

*sigh*

Well I am off to Japan. :ninja: Time for Toyota museum, and out of the USA for a bit

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Brother

NO Soap box needed. I am on YOUR side. This is one of the mods, I DON'T WANT. I am not a person who mods for mods sake. All $1300 spent so far, has been for things I wanted to change (nav, led interior etc), or for my kids (steps, handles).

I love the FJ as it is.

She cannot reach Thule box, standing in rear bumper.
Also not sure of your sliders, I have the OEM ones on trail team - and you can't stand on them. Not enough room between slider and body to put your feet in, and the coating is slippery esque on my car.

I printed out what you said, and I emailed it to her. You made the point more succinctly then I did. :)

<climbs on soapbox>

This is the last thing I will say about this and I am doing this because I can tell you are picky about your stuff. Here is a thought experiment for your wife. Open the rear door. Have her stand on the rear bumper/rear floor --- can she reach into the hypothetical Thule Box? Have here stand on the sliders and top of rear tire -- can she reach into the hypothetical Thule Box?

OK now imagine you have the ladder, the roof rack, and the Thule box. She climbs the ladder to the top to access the Thule Box. Once she is at the roof, where is she going to position her body to get better access to the Thule box than she would have with the rear hatch open? How about her knees and or feet -- where are they positioned to get into the Thule box? Is she standing or kneeling on the roof after climbing up from the rear? Unless she is standing on the roof rack portion, her weight is going to dent the roof. Ok, now visualize the front of her shoes as she is climbing the ladder? Are her shoes touching or scraping the paint as she climbs or is she just carefully placing her toes/balls of her feet on the rung of the ladder so as not to scrape against the paint? Is she going to be comfortable hanging onto very narrow ladder about 6.5' in the air while balancing over roof rack and reaching into Thule box placing/or pulling whatever she needs with one hand/arm while holding onto either ladder or roof rack?

Haven't used a Thule box too often on my FJ, but I can tell you that I am standing on my sliders, or the top of my rear tire to get into the Thule box from the side. While I might be able to get into the rearward portion of the box from the back, I still have to climb up from the side to unlatch it first and once open, I can reach into it from the back by standing on my rear bumper/floor with the hatch open.

I frankly dont think she has thought through the positioning and logistics of a rear ladder including foot placement. I only see them useful for people with an actual platform rack where they are climbing up and standing on the platform rack such as getting into a rooftop tent. You are still running the stock OEM rack right? Have you even figured out how exactly you would attach a rooftop box to the OEM rack?

<climbs off soapbox>

·
Registered
445 Posts
Plot Twist!

"...and thus began the search for the family's second FJ." :rofl:

This week, she took the FJ to work 3 out of the 5 days! In last 16 years, she has NEVER DRIVEN a single car I own.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Plot Twist!

"...and thus began the search for the family's second FJ." :rofl:
If she WANTS an FJ herself, I will go buy as many ladders as she wants tomorrow :D :D :D

She hates SUVs. She hates Sedans. Her last 4 cars:

Cayman GT4
M6 Convertible
F type R
DB11

And now I wake up to no FJ this week. :flame::flame::thinkerg:

·
Registered
445 Posts
The _only_ thing worse than taking my FJ would be to take my dog! :huh: :lol:

61 - 80 of 113 Posts