Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2007 FJ M/T Arctic Silver 285/70/17 no BMC no Rub
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man what the hell, anyone have any clue how to get my LED out of my tail light? Must have been a bumpy ride and shook it loose, it was a pain just putting the bulb in there, im assuming the entire tail light needs to come off?
Any help is appreciated

·
Registered
2011 FJ Cruiser Iceberg
624 Posts
Pull tail light off and try with needle nose plyers or drop in some kind of string with a loop and lasso it

I am not aware of anyway to get enough room for your hand on the back side panel

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
Small length of coat-hanger or other stiff wire bent in a dog-leg shape, with masking tape wound around the short leg sticky-side out. Push the wire through the hole, manipulate the wire until you can press the masking tape against the bulb, then carefully lift. When you get the bulb near the opening, reach in with long needle-nose pliers and grab the base of the bulb.

A peanut-sized chunk of Earthquake Putty on the wire works better than masking tape, but I think more people will have masking tape on hand vs Earthquake Putty.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Small length of coat-hanger or other stiff wire bent in a dog-leg shape, with masking tape wound around the short leg sticky-side out. Push the wire through the hole, manipulate the wire until you can press the masking tape against the the bulb, then carefully lift. When you get the bulb near the opening, reach in with long needle-nose pliers and grab the base of the bulb.

A peanut-sized chunk of Earthquake Putty on the wire works better than masking tape, but I think more people will have masking tape on hand vs Earthquake Putty.
I'm actually out running errands, do you know where I could buy earth quake putty?

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Found this going to give it a shot.
Last thing I want to do is have to pull it off, I have read its a big PiA.

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
I'm actually out running errands, do you know where I could buy earth quake putty?
(Not sure if you're being facetious, who doesn't have a small package of earthquake putty in their well-equipped tool box??)

In California (San Andreas fault vulnerable), most hardware stores carry one version or another.

What I bought is "Quake Hold museum putty". Museums everywhere use tiny bits of this to hold delicate items on display shelves so they don't 'walk' around in response to building shock or vibration.

Amazon has multiple versions of the same stuff - search "Earthquake Putty": Loctite Fun Tak Mounting Putty, Quake Hold, Gorilla Mounting Putty, etc.

Amazon.com : earthquake putty

·
Premium Member
4,405 Posts

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
Found this going to give it a shot.
Last thing I want to do is have to pull it off, I have read its a big PiA.
Once you get the LED lamp out, take a photo of the end that plugs into the socket and post it.

Is it the kind of lamp that uses a molded plastic 'plug' that replicates the plug on the original incandescent lamp?

Or are they the low-end LED lamps that just use the end of the circuit-board material as the 'plug'?

I have seen problems with the latter, as many of them don't have the correct PCB thickness to correctly lock into the socket, and they fall out after exposure to prolonged vibration.

LED lamp - bulb-type plug.JPG

LED lamp - PCB type plug.JPG

·
Registered
76 Posts
I had the exact same issue a few weeks ago, I had one of those extendable telescopic magnetic pick em up thingemies which worked a treat.

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
PU tool.jpg

(I actually bought one of these a while back w/ a magnet attached (!))
OR
use one of those small (button battery sized) rare-earth magnets w/ some mono-filament fishing line super-glued to it if you wanna McGyver it... (?)

Reactions: Nitzbar

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Once you get the LED lamp out, take a photo of the end that plugs into the socket and post it.

Is it the kind of lamp that uses a molded plastic 'plug' that replicates the plug on the original incandescent lamp?

Or are they the low-end LED lamps that just use the end of the circuit-board material as the 'plug'?

I have seen problems with the latter, as many of them don't have the correct PCB thickness to correctly lock into the socket, and they fall out after exposure to prolonged vibration.

View attachment 1164932

View attachment 1164933
Its an LED from @DiodeDynamics

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wish me luck, almost had 8t with sticky tape on electrical fish, now this and players should get it.
Thanks for the assistance again everyone

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm getting good at this, pulled it back off in there when trying g to twist it in got it back. Its a very snug fit I don't know how the hell it shook loose

1 - 20 of 41 Posts