Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2007 FJ M/T Arctic Silver 285/70/17 no BMC no Rub
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I cany believe I got these we in before..I cant get the socket to lign up with the grooves on the tail light, I have now had to retrieve bulb 3 more times, coming back to see if anyone has a suggestion here, im trying to get in there with needle nose but I can't get it to light up, maybe I'm missing something

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
I cany believe I got these we in before..I cant get the socket to lign up with the grooves on the tail light, I have now had to retrieve bulb 3 more times, coming back to see if anyone has a suggestion here, im trying to get in there with needle nose but I can't get it to light up, maybe I'm missing something
With the LED lamp repeatedly falling out and electrical connectivity problems, I'd suspect that you may have a damaged socket.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
40th times the charm.
Finally done, thanks again

·
4-Corners Moderator
5,276 Posts
I had some vacuum hose extensions back in the day that were small enough that they could fit in the light hole and I was able to get suction on the LED and remove it that way. The hose didn't actually suck it up, so no damage was done, but it did get sucked onto the hose and made removal easy peasy!

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
(Not sure if you're being facetious, who doesn't have a small package of earthquake putty in their well-equipped tool box??)

In California (San Andreas fault vulnerable), most hardware stores carry one version or another.

What I bought is "Quake Hold museum putty". Museums everywhere use tiny bits of this to hold delicate items on display shelves so they don't 'walk' around in response to building shock or vibration.

Amazon has multiple versions of the same stuff - search "Earthquake Putty": Loctite Fun Tak Mounting Putty, Quake Hold, Gorilla Mounting Putty, etc.

Amazon.com : earthquake putty
Nope I was being serious, seems like awesome stuff just never heard of it, maybe because I'm on the east coast, I went to 2 hope depots and lowes none of them had anything close to eat quake putty so I had to use double sides tape.

·
Registered
20 Posts
When this happened to me I ended up scratching the inside of the taillight with the mechanical fingers playing the grabby game for over an hour. I guess this is more common than I realized with the LEDs

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have one in mine too. Haven't attempted removing it yet. It takes a contortionist to get it in,don't figure removal will be any better.

·
Admin
8,927 Posts
And I've had people laugh and wonder why I avoid non-stock type lights... lol.

Reactions: FJ BRUZER

·
Registered
269 Posts
Wow, It's almost like a support group in here. When this happened to me I just hung my head in shame and kept my mouth shut. I tried most of the recommended procedures for removal but eventually had to remove the entire light assembly. Now, point me in the direction of the coffee and doughnuts.

·
Admin
8,927 Posts
To simply change out the stock bulb I got my young kid to change it out, lol.

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
:) :) The guys who did my Diode Dynamics HID's and projectors also did all the other lamps, except for the mirrors. Didn't want to touch them for some reason.

Reactions: Winterpeg

·
Registered
10 Posts
Removing the housing isn't so hard. Couple shakes and my non-magnetic bulb was retrieved. I'm sure it would have heard it drop a few more times if I didn't install it before putting the housing back on. Should be twist locking like most cars.
But I will say that I have vast respect verging on disbelief for the imagination of European automotive engineers. I could never conceive of the many creative solutions to simple problems that I've encountered. Yota is doing just fine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Man what the hell, anyone have any clue how to get my LED out of my tail light? Must have been a bumpy ride and shook it loose, it was a pain just putting the bulb in there, im assuming the entire tail light needs to come off?
Any help is appreciated View attachment 1164901
That’s easy. Take inside cover off. Use a pair of standard pliers in the wide open position. You can reach all the bulbs!!!!!!

·
Registered
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser, Voodoo Blue, 6 Speed Manual w/Full Time 4WD, Fully Loaded, ORIGINAL OWNER
4 Posts
I have had this happen to me too on my 2007. You should be able to get it out with a Magnetic pickup tool or a flexible parts grabber (the kind with a plunger on one end and claws on the other.). Most stores that sell tools should have them.

Man what the hell, anyone have any clue how to get my LED out of my tail light? Must have been a bumpy ride and shook it loose, it was a pain just putting the bulb in there, im assuming the entire tail light needs to come off?

·
Registered
610 Posts
😂 same thing happened to me several years ago. Damn thing is still riding around in there

·
Registered
2910 Army Green
85 Posts
Wrap some electrical tape around bulb base and socket . Sleep better

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Had the the same problem I uses a pencil with chewing gum on the end chewed of course, fished it out In a matter of minutes

21 - 40 of 41 Posts