Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Lil Stinky said:
Yeah he would be better off in a Tahoe or 4Runner. Those rear doors dont leave much room to climb in back. Better than the old two door Broncos and Blazers though.
I've got two kids, ages 3 and 10 months. I'm going to drive this, and also a Taco too see what I'm really into. Going from a reg. cab 3 seat truck though, anything has more room! Is it truly difficult to get in the back seat?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I test drove the auto and the manual this saturday and I felt like the clutch was smooth and a little more on the easy side as opposed to stiff. I have a M/T coming in. (Partly because I like driving M/T's and partly because of the awd system, better in the snow than part time in my experience. 2001 wrangler part time, 1998 land cruiser awd, and 2004 Pilot awd. The 2 awd's are immensely better in the snow than my Jeep was) Also I'm hoping that the wife doesn't like to drive the 6 spd and will leave it alone and stick with her pilot. As far as the automatic, it felt very smooth (as all toyota autos do) and was extremely easy to drive. Also felt a little quicker. The M/T has that low and torquey 1st gear. Love it! but Lil Stinky definitely try the auto if you have concerns it was awesome to. By the way, I'm 6'4 and loved the feel inside the FJ. Tank like as described.

·
Premium Member
3,445 Posts
caliFJ said:
the FJ acts and behaves exactly how i thought it would when i started looking into the thing a couple years ago. if you are even remotely considering a lexus - you will not like this truck. it can be cumbersome, it doesnt corner that well, it can be load, the windshield is friggin huge, the hood is 'long', it is like a tank, etc etc - that's what's cool about it. why have a 4x4 at all if you do not intend on taking it offroad? get a 4x2. you are the ones ****ing everything up for the rest of us who do and want to get out there on the decreasing amounts of trails available to us. do everyone a favor and keep your ***** asses in your ***** wannabe 4x4s and leave the FJ alone already. i guess we gotta deal with thinning the herd a little bit here - but dammit people - havent you read any reviews on this vehicle? it's not a friggin commuter vehicle. at the very least get yourself into the 4x2 - someone's gotta buy them - and it mine as well be the hoser posers.

sorry. getting annoyed with any and all people comparing this truck to a lexus. that's just lame.

ok. im done.
Here, here. "The FJ acts exactly....." is exactly my sentiments cali.

Sure I like Landcruisers too...but I can buy two FJ's for the price of one. Let's keep it apples for apple people.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
deuce656 said:
I test drove the auto and the manual this saturday and I felt like the clutch was smooth and a little more on the easy side as opposed to stiff. I have a M/T coming in. (Partly because I like driving M/T's and partly because of the awd system, better in the snow than part time in my experience. 2001 wrangler part time, 1998 land cruiser awd, and 2004 Pilot awd. The 2 awd's are immensely better in the snow than my Jeep was) Also I'm hoping that the wife doesn't like to drive the 6 spd and will leave it alone and stick with her pilot. As far as the automatic, it felt very smooth (as all toyota autos do) and was extremely easy to drive. Also felt a little quicker. The M/T has that low and torquey 1st gear. Love it! but Lil Stinky definitely try the auto if you have concerns it was awesome to. By the way, I'm 6'4 and loved the feel inside the FJ. Tank like as described.
I've always liked M/T better but I think my age and weight is catching up with me and I'm starting to make the shift to liking autos better. My ankles aint what they used to be. I quit smoking about five years ago and have packed on an extra 80 pounds which doesn't help the ankles at all. What I'm trying to say is that its me and not the truck which needs work.

·
Registered
124 Posts
caliFJ said:
the FJ acts and behaves exactly how i thought it would when i started looking into the thing a couple years ago. if you are even remotely considering a lexus - you will not like this truck. it can be cumbersome, it doesnt corner that well, it can be load, the windshield is friggin huge, the hood is 'long', it is like a tank, etc etc - that's what's cool about it. why have a 4x4 at all if you do not intend on taking it offroad? get a 4x2. you are the ones ****ing everything up for the rest of us who do and want to get out there on the decreasing amounts of trails available to us. do everyone a favor and keep your ***** asses in your ***** wannabe 4x4s and leave the FJ alone already. i guess we gotta deal with thinning the herd a little bit here - but dammit people - havent you read any reviews on this vehicle? it's not a friggin commuter vehicle. at the very least get yourself into the 4x2 - someone's gotta buy them - and it mine as well be the hoser posers.

sorry. getting annoyed with any and all people comparing this truck to a lexus. that's just lame.

ok. im done.

Cali, relax, lol. I like the vehicle but for now , it's not for me. On the same note, how many people do you think are going to actually take this thing off-road ? On the west coast you guys are spoiled. There isn't **** on the east coast. This vehicle will be placed in the typical 95 % pavement use only category like the rest of the SUV world .

·
Premium Member
3,445 Posts
VeilsideGS4 said:
Cali, relax, lol. I like the vehicle but for now , it's not for me. On the same note, how many people do you think are going to actually take this thing off-road ? On the west coast you guys are spoiled. There isn't **** on the east coast. This vehicle will be placed in the typical 95 % pavement use only category like the rest of the SUV world .
Is that the NE Veil, because here in Tennessee it's offroad heaven.

Down here in hillbilly land I have 3 awesome places to go offroading within 2 hours one of which is about 25 mins from my front door. More if you count logging roads, powerlines and such. I know where you're comming from though, I used to live in Minneapolis. Nothing up there that I knew of, but you did get all the awesome snow in the winter. Then all roads become "off pavement" of sorts. At least until the snow plows have their way:D

·
Registered
124 Posts
Landrover said:
Is that the NE Veil, because here in Tennessee it's offroad heaven.

Down here in hillbilly land I have 3 awesome places to go offroading within 2 hours one of which is about 25 mins from my front door. More if you count logging roads, powerlines and such. I know where you're comming from though, I used to live in Minneapolis. Nothing up there that I knew of, but you did get all the awesome snow in the winter. Then all roads become "off pavement" of sorts. At least until the snow plows have their way:D

I've never been to TN. I have been up and down the east coast and recently have been to the west coast. I live in eastern PA and there's nothing here. That's one of the reasons I'm in no rush to get an FJ . Some of the places people were able to go to many years ago are off limits now.

·
Registered
38 Posts
while absolutely no way near what is available out West, our terrain here is farmland...and i go offroad on it and plan to just run crazy now and again. but, that said, i bought the FJ to pull my fishing boat, traverse my brother's farm to go fish, and to have fun...if i didn't have these 'needs' i would probably have purchased a (cough) car...

·
Registered
23 Posts
"Re: Went for a test drive... didn't like it as much as I'd hoped for"

I had the same experience. I wanted to love it, but I didn't. It would be a great 3rd vehicle, but not a 2nd, daily driver.

I am now looking at an xterra, I think it will fit my needs better.

mitt

·
Registered
37 Posts
Mitt,

X-Terras are nice but you better duck quick!! Just Kidding, Hey, Just out of curiousity, what were the issues you had with it?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
mitt said:
"Re: Went for a test drive... didn't like it as much as I'd hoped for"

I had the same experience. I wanted to love it, but I didn't. It would be a great 3rd vehicle, but not a 2nd, daily driver.

I am now looking at an xterra, I think it will fit my needs better.

mitt
I've been thinking of doing the same thing but I just can't get past the Xterrra looks. I hate the broken up roofline and the interior is just blah!

·
Registered
23 Posts
bloomingtoncruiserfan said:
mitt, just curious, what does the Xterra do for you that the FJ doesn't? Not flaming, just curious.
I respect this forum, and try to be as objective on vehicle reviews, no flaming intended, or taken.

Honestly, the biggest factor was the image the vehicle gives off. I felt like a person with a need for attention when I was driving it. Like "hey, look at me, I have a big bright new FJ, that is on the road, and not being off-roaded, I am a posure".

Other more measurable technical things:

My wife could not shut the suicide doors by herself when sitting the rear seat.

The climb in and out of the rear seats (although the xterra is not a lot better)

The layout of the interior - there seems to be a lot of wasted space. For instance, why did they put the level, temp, and compass in their own little pod on top of the dash? Sitting in the lot, we were saying, those are cool. After driving for 5 minutes, and seeing those gauges all the time, inside my frame of view, they got old. Also, the side view mirrors are just too big.

Like the original author, I thought the vehicle wandered a lot on the road. I really feel like the Tacos, Xterras, and Frontiers are better driving vehicles.

-----------
For the money, and my priorities, I think the xterra is a better value. It might not have the percieved quality of a Toyota, but my '95 4x4 hardbody pickup has only had oil changes and gas in 10 years of ownership.

mitt

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
here. a test drive off the lot of a dealer will tell you nothing of the vehicle's abilities. take the thing offroad and you will immediately know why it's better than an xterra. even with the lamo duelers on there this truck is a freak offroad - you can seriously take it just about anywhere stock - outta the box.

y'no, i dont really care if others dig the truck or not - im not an FJ evangelist. but do try to consider that while toyota is clearly marketing the FJ towards the crowd that will consider the Xterra, Element, H3, etc - it is aiming it at the active crowd - that means people who wanna tow ****, haul ****, camp, go offroading, drive to work etc etc. now while xterra's, elements, H3s, 4runners do have competent offroad ability - they also retain their family feel - whereas the FJ does not. the FJ is built specifically for the active and offroad enthusiast. my wife has a CRV - that's our family car. i have the FJ. everyone wants to drive around in the FJ.

my gripe so far? there's not enough interior storage - for maps, tools etc - not sippy cups. it actually provides great cup holders for my kids in the doors - funny enough.

anyway. not flaming any of you - but understand you are comparing apples and oranges - apples to apples bruthas and sistas. i know you all wanna check it out and that's cool. but go into it with lower expectations comfort and luxury wise - please. it really is getting old reading all the same reviews. no i dont have to read the reviews - but as you know threads get quite off topic and it's an addiction at this point after 6-7 months on this site.

warmest regards and fuzzy thoughts.

·
Registered
262 Posts
caliFJ said:
on this site.

warmest regards and fuzzy thoughts.
Keep those Fuzzy thoughts coming - they are becoming more and more coherent, either that or I'm losing my mind, like "Air" in his driveway with the 4 tires and dinning room chairs.... patiently waiting for his FJ to arrive, its the best post in recent memory....

·
Registered
133 Posts
Well I am a little disapointed too.

I just went in my garage and all the mud is still on the FJ. I thought the FJ was going to clean itself and I would just have to hose out the garage.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
garrett said:

I just went in my garage and all the mud is still on the FJ. I thought the FJ was going to clean itself and I would just have to hose out the garage.

This just reminded me of that commercial where the truck shakes like a dog to get the mud off. I think it was a Jeep commercial. Anybody remember that one?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Same thing happened to me last week. Got my deposit back. Sitting in the
FJ is akin to sitting in a bomp shelter. Where i was planning on taking the thing(Natl parks ect.) I want to see my surroundings. No problems with
the build quality or styling. I'm back shopping...

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
garrett said:

hahahahhahaha....dont you just miss the luxury tho???

21 - 40 of 106 Posts