Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i went mudding and i hit a hole but i bottomed out not to hard but harder than i liked. After that it started to pull to the right. So i went to the dealership i had to get some parts put on anyways, well the tech drives it and agrees so he puts it on the alingment machine 45 mins later he came back and said it was off alittle tiny bit he fixed it but it still pulls to the right he cant figure out why. Just wondering if you guys have any input. Are there specific alingment specs that i should follow? Also remember that im lifted and have bigger tires tire pressure was at 32 before i bumped it up to 41 to see if it would help. Need help on this im stumped so is the tech. Please dont add comments like oh the dealer is dumb or anything like that ive had the same tech do all of my work and i trust him with my rig and his thoughts.

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Check for mud in the brakes, pull the tires and look for mud or dried caked on dirt.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Check for mud in the brakes, pull the tires and look for mud or dried caked on dirt.
x2 could have mud in there making the caliper stick. Does it pull all the time, just when braking, just accelerating?

·
Premium Member
13,655 Posts
Clean the inside of the rim, doesn't take much mud in there to throw your wheels off balance.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok ill try that the tech did take the tires off and saw little to know mud but ill give it a good power washing outside and underneath maybe this will solve the problem any comments on psi level could that have any affect?

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Your PSI level would only have an effect if they were different. Say if your right front was 32 and your left front was at 40, then it would pull right. Other than that, it shouldn't be a big deal.

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
If the mud is all cleaned off and that possibility is eliminated and you are ABSOLUTELY SURE that it's not a bent tie rod (which is possible) it might be a bent spindle, which is very hard to detect simply by looking at it because the FJ's spindle is sorta bent looking right off the showroom, I don't know what to suggest. However there are a few front end problems that can screw up the geometry if they're "bent". And it might not show up on the alignment when they put it on that machine.

A lot of the stealership technicians are not thinking about off-road damage. Whenever I drive to the local Toyota store to buy OEM parts to replace things I damage, they all come out and look including some of the mechanics and end up talking for a couple of hours. Off-road driving puts stress on these rigs that you usually only see in accidents.

A severe front end impact can bend things. Then you have to diagnose it all out one possibility at a time. At least that's my guess. Please let us know as you eliminate possibilities.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Take it back for another alignment. I've had to do that once. They can get it right (assuming no parts are damaged).

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wasnt there specs to aling perfect, the tech and i crawled under there and looked he said noughthing looks bent but im just wondering if there is something bent that we overlooked.

will this screw up my tires even thought the alignment machine is saying its good? Ill know more on thursday and friday because hes going to diagnose it more buy taking some parts off.

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
wasnt there specs to aling perfect, the tech and i crawled under there and looked he said noughthing looks bent but im just wondering if there is something bent that we overlooked.
It doesn't take much out of "true" to create a problem.

will this screw up my tires even thought the alignment machine is saying its good?
Uh, yes. If you're not going down the road "straight" you'll experience uneven tire wear. It's going to take some driving before that becomes apparent but yes.

Ill know more on thursday and friday because hes going to diagnose it more buy taking some parts off.
Good luck. Sorry it happened.

·
Premium Member
13,655 Posts
It could also be something as simple as you lost the weights of your wheels while mudding.

Happend to me.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I have heard of a few people that had there steering column move on them after some good bumps. Sounds like Toyota did not tighten the bolts.
Are you sure this is not the problem?

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
im not sure should i bring this up. It used to trac straight as a arrow even after lift and new tires were put on.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Unless you have aftermarket UCA, you will never get it to be factory perfect in terms of alignment specs. However, they can align it so it will wear evenly and track straight. It took my guy 3 tries, but he did eventally get it.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
this is a good sign getting dropped off tommrrow and ill have to let him have it for the day considering im renting a truck to move. But that should give him enough time to figure it out also should i go back down to 32psi or leave it at 41?

·
Registered
639 Posts
I think that 41 psi is a bit high, but thats just me.
For street use I foung with BFG at's I like about 35 psi. 35 psi does save me a little gas (I run low 20's in winter).
Please let us know what is found.

·
Premium Member
6,533 Posts
I'm with uphill on this one thinking it might be a slightly bent spindle. I had that happen once.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
can you tell me were to look for the spindle?

·
Premium Member
6,533 Posts
The spindle is attached to the upper and lower control arms and has the wheel bearings and hub attached to it. You cannot often tell if the spindle is bent unless it is really bad. The alignment shop should be able to tell with their equipment.

I would first advise changing out the spare with the wheel/tire that was involved in the impact. The rim could be bent but that would normally give you a wobble in the steering wheel. If you still have the problem with the spare on, it's time to get the spindle checked.

After an impact like that and the alignment shop sees no obvious damage anywhere and they cannot adjust the pull out of the alignment, it is often a slightly bent spindle.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok my dealership had it for 4 hours yesterday also 2 of that was on the alingment. Well i got it back today, drove fine till i got above 25mph then started to pull agian, so i try both lanes because sometimes the right lane is more sloped still pulling. The steering wheel is not straight when i let it go it goes to about a 30-35 degree angle. So im pissed now because i just spend 80 bucks for noughting, so i call the dealership they say bring it back right away so i can tell the tech that.

So im walking back to the tech in the shop, i say its still pulling he says i tried everything that thing was on the alingment machine for 2 hours i got it straight i dont know why its still pulling. So i say did you check for bent stuff like spindle tie rod anything he says yes all fine.

Then i ask well if its still pulling but its allinged will the tires wear uneven he says no is that true?

Its going to another dealer to get checked out but i need input guys now that you have heard the full story.

Once agian there was no pulling before even with lift and tires now its pulling after i went through a mud hole and bottomed out not hard. This is a big deal breaker for me so if they can not solve this im selling it.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.