Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
41 - 60 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I have been following this tread. If they already checked for alignment twice, then nothing is wrong with the steering, but it may be with suspension or brakes, after all it was a BUMP. I would check height in all four corners. Distance from center of wheel to fender, from bumper to ground. I am pretty sure one front corner is lower.
you say there is noughting wrong with the steering even though the steering wheel is not center anymore and as soon as i let it go it goes at a 30 degree angle.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Well, if it were pulling to one side without the steering wheel moving, then we will be in a very different problem. I am still not convinced that the alignment issue is right. I would take it to another place, and if they find a problem , have the dealer reimburse the money for the alignment (is expensive) But if after checking in two different shops, they still insist that the alignment is correct, then your problem is not steering any more, it has to be another cause for the pulling.

·
Registered
283 Posts
^^is this the same 13 year old named dustin that NCFJ has pointed out in other threads?

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
^^is this the same 13 year old named dustin that NCFJ has pointed out in other threads?
what??? Its going to another dealer tommrrow to get it allingned, and if it wasnt allinged properly i will be going back to the orginal dealer who charged me 80.00 bucks for not doing it right. I let you guys know tommrrow afternoon thanks for all of the advice.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
what??? Its going to another dealer tommrrow to get it allingned, and if it wasnt allinged properly i will be going back to the orginal dealer who charged me 80.00 bucks for not doing it right. I let you guys know tommrrow afternoon thanks for all of the advice.
Why are you letting off a dealer that potentially didn't do an alignment correctly? If they didn't do it right, they need to fix it.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
well this would be the third one should i still go back there or go to another place. I mean i see where youre going with it but how smart do you have to be. I guess ill go to the same place and watch them align it so basically i be standing there for the entire time.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
That's generally what I do when anyone is working on my vehicle. Ron

well this would be the third one should i still go back there or go to another place. I mean i see where youre going with it but how smart do you have to be. I guess ill go to the same place and watch them align it so basically i be standing there for the entire time.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
wow i guess ill do that tommrrow then do is there alingment specs for the fj i think i saw them somewhere around here but cant find them. Also would those specs be different for a lifted rig???

·
Registered
499 Posts
wow i guess ill do that tommrrow then do is there alingment specs for the fj i think i saw them somewhere around here but cant find them. Also would those specs be different for a lifted rig???
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...851-front-wheel-alignment-specifications.html

Also:
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...0116-ome-lift-installation-detailed-pics.html

at end of first post in blue box are some alignment specs, not sure if they are the same as first link I posted didn't have time to check.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
ok ill be going there but 1. I wont pay because i already payed for the last one and it still wasnt right so i shouldnt have to pay. 2. If they screw this up this will be the last time they touch my fj or get any of my car sales, ill be sure to tell my salesman this bit of info. Ill let you know how it turns out.

·
Premium Member
3,185 Posts
Alignment on an IFS rig is a problem in multiple adjustment variables. I haven't done it myself because I don't have the facilities to measure my results, but if you look at the diagrams regarding how the adjustments should go, it's complex.

The caster angle is altered when you go with a 3" lift kit because the articulation of the upper control arm is canted so that it swings up and back. Conversely, when you lift 3", it extends down and forward, lessening caster angle.

One of the benefits of more (rather than less) caster angle is that the steering is less touchy. When you lift and reduce caster angle, it's a noticable change in steering. Some people notice this touchy steering as a tendency to drift one way or another, but typically it wouldn't feel like a pull to one side. It would be equal instability to veer either way.

If you're noticing the classic tendency to veer one direction rather than the other, especially with braking, then you're out of alignment. Whether your technician managed to improve the situation or not, I can't say. However you're functionally out of alignment.

Crud in the brakes will potentially cause some pull to one side, but my experience is that it doesn't typically last very long. Crud inside the rim will give you the feeling of a balance problem (wheel vibration) but it wouldn't make you feel like the vehicle pulls to one side. Tire damage on one side rather than the other would also not cause you pull to the side.

If you've bent a knuckle, then you probably won't be able to get it aligned. If you had problems with the technician not being able to get alignment, this is something to consider.

I suggest you take it to someone with an alignment rack which can handle a lifted vehicle with the oversize of tire that you're using, and get it measured again. I'll guess that it's still out.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
well im leaving right now ive decieded to bring it to a tire place discount tire. Because i figure that the know how to allign cars and trucks the right way considering thats all they do all day ill let you know later on in the day.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
so i think i have some bad news, well i went to a different shop to get a second opinon and they tried to alingn it the best they could. After about 2 hours they said they were done and would like me to come in the back to take a look. Well it still pulls to the right but the tech had me look at something that was very odd. The wheel wells were of different lengths so what i mean is you can stick your hand were the wheel and the tire are to the mud flap and on the left side it could fit all 4 fingers but i went over to the right side and i could fit all four fingers plus about another inch or more. So this is not good.

The tech said either the frame is bent or something else is bent so they said to bring it to a frame shop to have them look at it. Now i have hit harder things in my life with this thing and other rigs and noughthing has gone wrong.

I will be very dissapointed with toyota and myself if the frame is actually bent. And will be trading it in after the situation is resolved.

·
Premium Member
3,185 Posts
I don't even have to know how you drive, but I'll be very surprised if the frame is bent, although I'm sure it's possible. I know one or two people who probably drive their FJ Cruisers as hard as anyone, and when I say that, I'm being gentle. ;)

The IFS system is the vulnerable point. Something is bent. I don't think you can go that asymetric just by moving the cams that adjust alignment. The knuckle is the most likley part to bend.

For reference look at this thread:

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...all-pro-weld-spindle-arm-gussets-why-how.html

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
I have been following this tread. If they already checked for alignment twice, then nothing is wrong with the steering, but it may be with suspension or brakes, after all it was a BUMP. I would check height in all four corners. Distance from center of wheel to fender, from bumper to ground. I am pretty sure one front corner is lower.
WELL, WELL, What did I tell you several days ago?:boohoo:
Still, I don°t think is the frame, but some suspension component.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
well now that i know that the alignment can't be fixed without this problem im going to show my dealer the difference in space between the wheel well and maybe they will get there head out of there ass. Oh and i will be getting my money back because after they allingned it today they said everything was off.

41 - 60 of 81 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.