Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the Trail Teams editions run 16” wheels and TRD wheels are 16”, I’ve got to assume there’s some performance advantage. Does anyone know what specifically is the advantage or conversely, is there any downside to going down to 16” wheels?

Dan

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
Just more sidewall. Its still almost negligible.

Nowadays 17s hold the advantage as most of the 15 and 16" tires are being phased out.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Re: What’s the advantage of 16” wheels over 17”?

I can see why cheaper is desirable, but why would I want more sidewall?
As I understand it:

More sidewall puts more distance between bumps on the ground and your wheel. This makes the ride smoother, as there's more rubber to deform before it starts pushing up with the same force.

Also, the thing where it takes longer to push upward with the same force because there's more rubber? You're a little more resistant (probably negligibly so) to punctures as well.

The main reason, though, is more sidewall means there's more rubber to flatten out and be in contact with the ground when you air down when going off-road. More contact with the ground means more opportunities to have traction. Also, if you're doing crazy things where the outside of the tire isn't in contact with an obstacle but the sidewalls are, well, then, more sidewall means it's more likely you'll have traction there, too.

The things that get you through off-road obstacles are traction and ground clearance. Rubber tires are the one and only thing that give your vehicle traction. More rubber (properly applied) means more traction.

The larger your tires, the less apparent that 1 inch difference between 16" and 17" wheels becomes: 40" tires have so many inches of sidewall that the extra % gained by shrinking the wheel 1" is much less significant than the percent gain you'd have by running a smaller wheel on 32" tires.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts

I would never go larger than 16” and have never had a problem finding tires.
You may have to reconsider that when you move up to 37s :wink With the upsizing, tires offered in 37x12.5-R16" are next to nill. You'll be forced to choose between Irok/Super Swamper mud tires or sticking with 35". It was one of the choices I had to consider when switching and moving to 17" rims won. Much more choices in every brand.

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,765 Posts

You may have to reconsider that when you move up to 37s :wink With the upsizing, tires offered in 37x12.5-R16" are next to nill. You'll be forced to choose between Irok/Super Swamper mud tires or sticking with 35". It was one of the choices I had to consider when switching and moving to 17" rims won. Much more choices in every brand.
Interesting...yes I was referring to 35” and smaller and have not shopped the 37s.....yet :rofl: So that’s another reason to stay with 35s, greater selection of tires :thinkerg:

·
Registered
127 Posts
I’ve always had 17” wheels. What 16” wheels do you recommend and what 35 tires can fit in the FJ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
949 Posts

Attachments

·
トヨタ Master
5,832 Posts
Lower price and more sidewall. When airing down into the single digits, that little extra sidewall can make a difference. There are more tire choices in 17" as some manufacturers have discontinued some 16" sizes. Supply and demand suggest that 17s are the norm now and a lot of 16" sizes have been phased out, with the exception of very common and popular sizes. I sell 8:1 17" vs.16" tires on a daily basis, while 18" and 20" have grown in demand and sales exponentially.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I went to 17 because of size choices. There was no good 34 11.50 available in a 16, which I think is the perfect size for a FJ. I run 40 12.50 17 on my 78 Toyota because of beadlock wheel sizes. On my 87 4Runner, I stayed with 15" wheels because a 35 on a 17 looks weird on a old school tuck.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts

You know someone had o ask: How do 16" tires. have MORE rubber than 17" tires?
My answer was probably too simplistic because as I think your question implies, that it is not necessarily true that you have more side wall on a 16" wheel because it depends on the specifications of the tire being put on the particular wheel.

The built-in assumption that we are all making in this thread is that, for example, someone wants to have a 33" diameter tire/wheel combination. They can either run a 285/75R16 tire with a 16" wheel or 285/70R17 tire with a 17" wheel. Both of these tires have ~33" total diameter. In the case of a 16" wheel you have 17" of total sidewall (each sidewall being 8.5"). In the case of a 17" wheel, you have 16" of total sidewall (each sidewall being 8" high).
@Iconic_ explained it above in simple terms. as did @debFJVT immediately above.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts