Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Re: What’s the advantage of 16” wheels over 17”?

My answer was probably too simplistic because as I think your question implies, that it is not necessarily true that you have more side wall on a 16" wheel because it depends on the specifications of the tire being put on the particular wheel.

The built-in assumption that we are all making in this thread is that, for example, someone wants to have a 33" diameter tire/wheel combination. They can either run a 285/75R16 tire with a 16" wheel or 285/70R17 tire with a 17" wheel. Both of these tires have ~33" total diameter. In the case of a 16" wheel you have 17" of total sidewall (each sidewall being 8.5"). In the case of a 17" wheel, you have 16" of total sidewall (each sidewall being 8" high).
@Iconic_ explained it above in simple terms. as did @debFJVT immediately above.
Silvfox,
Thanx, got to get a calculator.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Unfortunately there are less 16" tires to choose from these days. I have the TRD 16" rims and purchased them strictly for having 1/2" more rubber than on 17" rims for stock tires. I do run 32 inch O.D. tires. Actually the O.D. is about 31.7 inches for all 265/75R16, which is the equivalent of the 265/70R17 tires that came stock. This equates to about 657 revolutions of the tire per mile traveled.

The primary benefit for more rubber is, as mentioned, better clearance between the trail surface and outer rim of the wheel. More rubber increases flexibility. There is another more subtle benefit. When driving with a locked center differential, the strain on the drive train when steering to avoid obstacles is slightly minimized due to the increased flexibility of more tire rubber. The benefit is minor, I know, but a benefit none-the-less.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Zero, odd ball size

·
Admin
6,587 Posts
Plenty of reasons already stated above.

·
トヨタ Master
5,794 Posts

Zero, odd ball size
The best advantages of 16s are more sidewall flex=better conformation in rocks and they ride better because they actually hold more air volume. If there were more choices in 16" tires, I would be running them on everything.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
x2 that

It is interesting to see the mania for low profile tires reaching the degrees that they are today (post #14 is only a slight exaggeration of what rolls out of most auto manufacturers these days). It is what the public responds to, and seems to want.

But it is nonsensical: rubber and air are lighter than aluminum, and more sidewall allows more compliance on real world roads. F1 has used 13" rims all these years because that's what works best for them, and they are considering moving to a larger diameter wheel in an effort to slow them down, not make them handle or go faster.

Equally sized wheels/tires (outer diameter) with larger diameter wheels weigh more, which further harms handling. Though this point is less important on a 4WD truck is still true.

Any wheel diameter larger than what is needed to clear the brakes, on a normal road car, is wasted weight. It is interesting to talk with the engineers who develop suspensions on new cars today, what they have to go through to make those "zero sidewall" fashion statements ride and handle decently. :p

Granted, on an FJ, the difference between 17 and 16 isn't all that big, the benefit of using 16 for maximum off road performance is why they were used for the TT editions.
Norm

·
Admin
6,587 Posts

Zero, odd ball size
Well articulated argument though

:bigthumb:

·
Admin
6,587 Posts

How about those 22s
Isn’t that odd?
:lol:

Let's not get carried away now... nobody would put 22s on an FJ.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've stuck to 16's myself for the same reasons many have stated already here but another advantage of going up to 17 besides tire selection is the ability to fit a larger brake kit if you ever decide to upgrade your brakes. Many owners put a lot of weight on their rigs so sometimes a larger brake system is needed. Just not in my case...yet.

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
I stuck with 16'S for this reason. they are aired down at 16lbs in photos
DSC_0024 (2).JPG
DSC_0063.JPG

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
"How about those 22s Isn’t that odd?" No, they're even!

"Age is just a number. False, age is a word!" - Bill Hader

:)

·
Registered
851 Posts
Didn't read thru it all but 17" wheels clear more big brake kits... including the 4Runner brake upgrade. Thus, the reason I run 17's. Also, I think that the 285/75/17 tire size is quite possibly the best size for the FJ with just a 3in lift and BMC.

One day I'll commit to 35's or 37's... maybe :)

21 - 33 of 33 Posts