Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What 3 things have you or will you buy for your FJ?
Im new to the board and I dont own one yet but I like the look of the aftermarket bumper
black rims / tires
roof rack

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
285 tires on stock rims, 3" lift, and sliders. Cause thats what i did!

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
I say go with some 285's, Icon COs, and some sliders. So far those three combinations worked well!!!:rocker:

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
If you plan to go off road:
1.Recovery Gear
2.Tires
3.Sliders
4.3 "Lift

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
1. New tires and/or wheels ( I put on Nitto Terra Grapplers 295x70x17 on oem alloys)

2. Toytec OME 3" lift, Medium/Medium

3. Budbuilt Rock Sliders

Those three additions will do more for your wheeling than anything else....better tires....better suspension to allow tires to work and not rub....and rock sliders as FJ already has a couple critical skids in place for front and gas tank.

Next few would be:

1- Full skids from
2- Rear Bumper
3- Front bumper with winch
4- New front Upper Control Arms (allows more clearance to tire sidewalls and proper alignment after 3" lift)
5- Scuba Mod
6- Synthetic oil, high flow air filter, maybe a CAI (TRD or Volant)
7- Lower Control Arm skids
8- e-Locker armor

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Hmmm.
I guess that depends on what you start out with.

But for me, I'd have to say:
'08 side sun visors. OUTSTANDING. Can't imagine running without them.
3" Lift. Looks and feel right. Like it should've been from the get-go.
Wet Okole seat covers with the lumbar support. (ahhh my achin' back.)

I'm so cheap that I'm waiting to wear out my 265/75R16 BFG AT TA's w/ 285/75R16's. The stockers aren't bad enough to justify a change until they're toast.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I went with
1. Old Man Emu Lift
2. Recovery gear
3. Tires on stock steel rims (BFG Mud KM2 285/70-17)

FJ's are very good stock and only really need a few "tweeks" to make them great without going crazy with mods.

·
Registered
219 Posts
285 tires on stock rims, 3" lift, and sliders. Cause thats what i did!
That's what I did

1. Sliders

2. 3" toytec med/med

3. 285/75/16 nitto terra grappler

plus a lot of other little stuff (you don't have to tell your wife unless the mod cost more that $100):rofl:

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
I guess a lift is the first thing we all think of.....But after the shock of buying a new vehicle you may want to start out slower like I did....

First: HEADLIGHTS!!!!!! The stockers suck the big green weiner..... Common consensus on these forums is to replace with Silver Stars or PIAA's

Second: Air Filter. Relatively low cost for increased performance and mpg. What you replace with is up to you whether you go K&N or the new dry filters .... Or spend the money on a new CAI.

Third: Wiper Blades. The stockers are crap and you will see that soon enough.

Fourth: Tires. My stock Dunlops are ready for tire swings after less than 30K miles (Not impressed). I wish I had changed them when it was new....These are passenger car tires at best....Bleck.....Crudlops!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
This is the order im going in

1. ARB front bumper with bull bar ( purchased )
2. OME lift kit, heavy ( purchased )
3. Skid plate for ARB front bumper ( purchased )

All of these item will be installed on 7-31

4. Warn rear bumper ( buying this friday 8/1 )
5. Gobi ladder ( buying this friday 8/1 )

Going to buy this next set of items in Dec or Jan
6. Complete Skid plate set from Man-a-fre
7. New tires and Rims
8. Supercharger

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Wow what a varied bunch of answers! You have to decide what you want the vehicle to do - are you looking for cosmetic or luxury add ons or something that will make it more formidable off road? If off road is your goal, you need to protect vital components from damage, because no matter how cool GPS navigation or a new stereo is it wont protect the underside or body from damage in real off road terrain. I'd recommend good quality USA made sliders to protect expensive bodywork & paint, and skid plates to protect the expensive drivetrain components, a lift to get clearance so you lessen the chances of getting stuck from lack or clearance.
After that point for items 4 and on I'd strongly recommend adding lower link mount guards (they bend and fold easily) and changing the lower links themselves (they bend and break), as the stock links are .088 wall and quality links like the All Pro Extreme links are .250 wall and have a lifetime warranty. Replacing the Tupperware bumpers would be next along with a winch, as being stranded isnt fun and the winch can literally be a life saver depending on where you're stuck or sliding off...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts