Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
I've go the viar, and we have a tank that we had lying around... the hubby plumbed it right in...no problems storing air :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
4,051 Posts
No way I'll go over $500. I've seen several around $300. Also what size tank fits well under the FJC. Thanks
I have the WARN 77495 Air-Power SPC Air Compressor.

Just enough power to fill up the WARN 73938 2.5-gal Auxiliary Air Tank in about 2-min at 120 psi.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
i've read posts regarding this hf compressor, and consensus seems to be that this one fills tires very very slowly.
true or false?
It works OK for a $50 compressor. I'm not usually in a hurry so it doesn't really matter to me. To be perfectly honest, there's usually someone around with a Powertank that can fill tires in about 30 seconds.:cheers:

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
I have the WARN 77495 Air-Power SPC Air Compressor.

Just enough power to fill up the WARN 73938 2.5-gal Auxiliary Air Tank in about 2-min at 120 psi.
Not bad at $180 on Amazon. Is your compressor connected to the tank all the time, and if so do you mind sharing your hose route?

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I think it depends on what you want it for.

If you just want to be able to fill up the occasional leaky tire, any compressor should work good enough to get you to the tire shop and have the tire fixed.

If you want it for airing up after occasional wheeling trips that you air down for, get a good portable compressor. Go for one that connects to the battery (no cig lighter powered ones). Pay attention to duty cycle and flow rate (explained a little below).

If you reguarly are airing up, after trail runs, or like to air up your friends, have plans on adding air tools to the mix, etc, a Viair/Warn/ARB heavy/constant duty compressor or CO2 setup would probably be the way to go.

One of the more important (at least in my opinion) things to watch for when looking at compressors is duty cycle. Most little portable compressors are 30-50% duty cycle, meaning you can run them for a little while then you have to let it cool down. You can easily burn up the motor and then you have no air. Not a big deal as long as you pay attention to how warm it gets and let is have a rest. The heavy duty ARB model is 50% duty cycle if I rememebr correctly.

Viair is popular because they have 100% duty cycle compressors that are priced very well. (Not all Viair compressors are 100% duty cycle, you have to pay attention to the specs). 100% duty cycle means you can, in theory, run the compressor non-stop under normal conditions without worrying about the motor burning up.

Any good compressor will list it's duty cycle and how long you can run it before it needs a break at whatever ambient air temperature. You can do some math from there to see if you'll need to let it rest before filling up all four tires after a wheeling trip.

Flow rate is the other important spec on the box. It's pretty easy to understand. The higher the flow rate, the faster the tires will fill up. The heavy duty ARB has a higher flow rate than almost every (all?) Viair compressors. I did a lot of research when deciding what I wanted. There is kind of a trade off between flow rate and duty cycle.

Regarding tanks, they don't do much unless you're planning to run air tools. They don't significantly speed up your tire filling operation after a day on the trail. They help a little, but I wouldn't consider one if you're not going for tools.

If you're looking for speed, just get CO2 and call it a day. Keep in mind they have reoccuring cost because you have to have the tank filled when it's empty.

Then there's something like the "military" spec Oasis-type compressors. They'll out perform any other electric compressor, but they're very spendy. If you have the cash do it. :)

The York style (or a converted AC compressor) will give you very good performance (you'll be able to run tools and fill tires very quickly without a tank), however I don't think anyone has done it with an FJ yet. I think it'd be really cool, but there aren't parts around to just do this. (yet?)

What do I have? A Viair mounted under the hood with a 2.5 gallon tank under the backend, and I couldn't be happier:

·
Registered
838 Posts
I got one from Iron Mountian Performance, it's a portable unit with everything in it

·
Premium Member
4,051 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all the info, and I love the links that have been provided. I guess I need to ShIX or get off the pot. I'm thinking, compressor under the hood, tank under the rear end or along frame, quick connect at each location. So where does everyone store 15' of hose. Just what I want rolling around in back all the time. Whose got this figured out, maybe a hidden hose reel, under a skid plate somewhere? I think this is the last thing I need to really figure out. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts