Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am sitting here contemplating some new stuff for my rig and I think “WOW, I now have had it for just over 2 years… Holy crap… I only have 18,200 miles on it…” I also have the Toyota Dealership mailing me reminders, now for the third time, “our records indicate that you are due for your X-amount serving” of course they are always way off.

I guess it’s good because I plan on it being around for a long time but geez…

Really sad thing is 3k of it is for last years Ouray trip or else I would be at 15k..

edit: I guess my real question is does it hurt the systems if they are used a lot? Never have had this problem before.. usually I am doing 30k-45k per year...

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
edit: I guess my real question is does it hurt the systems if they are used a lot? Never have had this problem before.. usually I am doing 30k-45k per year...
I'm not sure I understand, Are you asking if driving alot hurts the vehicle systems? which systems to are you referring??

·
Registered
393 Posts
I'm too am not clear on the question, but 18,000 isn't all that much mileage for two years. I've put 7 k on mine in 10 months and I'm not using it for commuting. Just driving it a lot doesn't harm anything, but it will wear out sooner. That's inevitable with any truck. At the rate you are driving you should be able to go on for another 15 years or so. By then the FJ will be illegal to drive on the streets due to the outlawing of petroleum fueled vehicles, so it won't matter. I'm pretty sure the FJ will be my last gasoline fueled truck. I'm enjoying it while I still can. We all should.

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
I had a packmate of mine put over 400k miles on his Toyota pickup (3 years) - nothing but routine maintenance. No problems. Another put over that on his Nissan Frontier - nothing but routine maintenance. No problems.

Don't sweat it too much. The foreign vehicles are built to last. Don't look at the numbers, but remember the incredible experiences while putting them on. Then just think of how many more you can fit on this year with more road trips and trail runs!

MPG is not Miles Per Gallon, it's Minutes of Enjoyment Per Gallon. :bigthumb:

Howls,
FJ Wolf

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I have had mine for 7 months have already past 18000.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
I've had mine for about 1.5 years and already have 30K, but I don't quite understand your question.:bandit:

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I've had mine for 2 years 4 months and I've got just over 35,000 miles on it. I've made 4 trips to Moab in it as well as 3 trips to Crested Butte, so approximately 14,000 of the total miles are from those trips alone. Other than the long trips I don't put many miles on mine either.

Jim

·
FJ Expeditions R Us
4,084 Posts
We drive ours like we stole it! We've had it 14 months and it has 33,000 miles on it. Of that, 21,000 plus has been for two trips to Ouray and Moab and expeditions to Mexico.

We're racking up the miles, but loving every minute of it!!!

Enjoy it and put some tape over the odometer so you can't fret over it...

cheers,

dale

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I think driving it everyday or almost everyday keeps everything lubed. I get lots of miles out of all our Toyotas and no mechanical prolems. You just need to get out and drive your FJ more is all.

·
Banned
3,591 Posts
So I am sitting here contemplating some new stuff for my rig and I think “WOW, I now have had it for just over 2 years… Holy crap… I only have 18,200 miles on it…” I also have the Toyota Dealership mailing me reminders, now for the third time, “our records indicate that you are due for your X-amount serving” of course they are always way off.

I guess it’s good because I plan on it being around for a long time but geez…

Really sad thing is 3k of it is for last years Ouray trip or else I would be at 15k..

edit: I guess my real question is does it hurt the systems if they are NOT used a lot? Never have had this problem before.. usually I am doing 30k-45k per year...

Is this the real question???

Don't leave it parked too long(months at a time)....run it a little to stir up the oil a bit.....

Other then that...you're good

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
Well Homedad, You made sence of this. I could see where lack of use might worry someone. Good answer too of course. As for the dealers calling, tell em nicely to leave you alone and you will get your servicing done according to the manual.

·
Registered
851 Posts
All I can say is, lemme know when you get ready to sell it, it'll be great to find a low mileage FJ in a few years to drive for a DD, then I can sink the rest of my life savings into mods for the other one! :lol:

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
I've had my Beast for 20 months and 40k now, mostly Hwy miles with some moderate wheeling here and there. I do all the preventitive maintenance my self, with a shorter schedule than required by the service manual. At the rate your racking miles on your rig, It may outlive You! low milege never hurts anything, but starting and driving a rig frequntly keeps seals and bearings lubricated which is essential, for longevity!!!

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts
We just returned from a twenty-two day ,5,300 mile plus trip. We camped and hiked in; Petrified Forest,Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce, Capital Reef, Arches, Moab, Canyon Lands, Mesa Verde, Ouray, Chaco Canyon, Santa Fe, Red River and Palo Duro Canyon. Every mile and every moment were made that much more incredible beacuse of the FJ. We drove out in two days and back in three. I removed the back seats and put in my own platform and we were packed to the windows with gear. The FJ was more than fine on the Interstate but once off the pavement, that's when the real fun began.I have enjoyed my FJ since November here in the Smokies. It is an incredible machine and a pleasure to drive but I am here to tell all of my East Coast owners,GO WEST. We live in such a diverse and incredibly beautiful country. I have been out West before but not behind the wheel of a FJ. It made all of the difference in the world, it provides total confidence and accessibility without limitations. It redefines "car camping". It was easier to ignore mpg and $pg when surrounded with technicolor scenery like no where else in the world. I am not rich nor environmentally irresponsible but we wanted to see and experience as much as possible, in a limited amount of time and the FJ made that possible for us. I encourage anyone not to hesitate taking advantage of what is, a great tool. There are better vehicles for commuting perhaps but that is not what the FJ was designed for.It will enable you to get off the beaten path and see what most people are missing.You will also be traveling in style, comfort and security.I have over 175,000 on my 94 Toyoto PU and almost as many scatches, dings and dents. It remains a 4x4 workhorse and I would not trade it for anything. I expect that many more miles to come exploring, gathering firewood and landscape uses.I expect the same longevity from my FJ but hopefully with minor body damge. Enjoy your FJ, don't moth ball it.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Homedad gets the prize... :lol:

Sorry I wasn't more detailed or specifically direct. I am worried that I only put like 5 miles a day on it. I also only do Regularly (per Mileage) Scheduled Maintenance. I was wondering if any other maintenance should be done since I'm really not putting on the miles like I should to keep the gaskets lubbed.

Since I put a few miles a day or at least every few days, I guess that is good enough to keep the fluids turning and the gaskets sealed properly.

but thanks for all the replies even though I wasn't clear..

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
I have seen problems due to the accumulation of moisture in exhaust systems in low-mileage (usually ederly owned) vehicles before.

It seems they last longer if they get "totally warmed up" which helps with "burn off" of the internal condensation.

I would adhere to the 6 months per oil change interval too, to remove any residual moisture that may have converted to sludge in your crankcase.

BTW, the dealership's customer retention system software kicks out the coupons/notifications at an average interval, until you establish regular visits and then it automatically adjusts to your driving habits. The fact that you haven't been in leaves it with nothing to adjust to, so you are still receivieng the default interval notices :)

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have seen problems due to the accumulation of moisture in exhaust systems in low-mileage (usually ederly owned) vehicles before.
Who are you calling old! :rofl:

Thanks for the info. I am considering that I will start to do an oil change between mileage checks just to be on the safe side. It will not hurt anything to do it and the cost is minimal.

My issue is that my job role has transitioned into a work from home role (for the past 2 years) so I only drive now to get one of the kids or go workout... Glad I'm not an extravert... But it is saving me gas moneys and since I now only get 10 miles/gal its a good thing!

·
Banned
3,591 Posts
Homedad gets the prize... :lol:

Sweet!!!!

Happy to help.....

I bought an H-1 a few years back....very low mileage....I was pumped....

Untill I found out the mileage was so low from sitting in the guys garage for six years.....

Every gasket and seal on that rig was dried and cracked....cost me a small fortune!!!

So just like your weiner....use it or loose it :rofl::rofl:

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Who are you calling old! :rofl:

Thanks for the info. I am considering that I will start to do an oil change between mileage checks just to be on the safe side. It will not hurt anything to do it and the cost is minimal.

My issue is that my job role has transitioned into a work from home role (for the past 2 years) so I only drive now to get one of the kids or go workout... Glad I'm not an extravert... But it is saving me gas moneys and since I now only get 10 miles/gal its a good thing!
Do try and drive it around at least a few times a week. Get it up to temp at least. You're getting 10mpg?! I'd worry more about that then the lack of use.

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
X2 on the oil changes, oil degrades after time. also X2 on the tip on letting the engine get up to full temp. I used to work at a quick lube joint and I could always tell the folks who just did quick hop driving just by removing the filler cap. it would have a peanut buttery looking substance in it from the oil and condensation. at least once a month you need to get it out for a good half hour of HWY driving, not stop n go. It will burn off all the impurities.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts