Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I wanted to get some input on what the best groups are to join and donate to that are dedicated to protecting the interests of off-roading, as well as, off-road trails. I'm looking for the groups that really have the resources to make a difference, are professional, and efficient with finances

Also I don't see off-roading surviving if we don't "out environmental" the environmental groups. We have to organize our own trash clean up days, tree planting days, forest restoration days, and trail erosion prevention days. What Ducks Unlimited has done for hunting, is what we need to do for off-roading. They have created sustainable wildlife ecosystems, that nobody can argue with.

I have seen far too many trails and off-roading areas disappear over the years, and I don't want us and future generations to be locked out from enjoying this sport.

Michael

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
Tread lightly is huge. I'm embarrassed to say that I don't know all that much about them, but many good wheelers here do. Of course you could donate to my pockets as well.

Thanks for bringing awareness to this topic.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I'm in California, so you can imagine the pressure we have on closing off-road trails here.

Michael

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
You can be and believe what you want in terms of rep vs dem but if you have an open mind and look at the constitution with an open mind you will see its written by Libertarians who believed in less Gov more individual rights. My Girlfriend who is a Liberal needs to move to Europe and realize in this day and age with our tec and trans availability that the USA is what it was created for and there are other countries for her to live in that have laws to support her views. Changing the USA to something it wasn't intended to be is terrorism and makes the REPUBLIC weak. My 2 cents:) Democracy Sucks for off road individuals who love to off road. The EPA is killing off roading for us all and we need to defund this organization as tax payers for the simple reason that the EPA has gained more power than a Republic designed country needs.

·
Premium Member
2,753 Posts
You can be and believe what you want in terms of rep vs dem but if you have an open mind and look at the constitution with an open mind you will see its written by Libertarians who believed in less Gov more individual rights. My Girlfriend who is a Liberal needs to move to Europe and realize in this day and age with our tec and trans availability that the USA is what it was created for and there are other countries for her to live in that have laws to support her views. Changing the USA to something it wasn't intended to be is terrorism and makes the REPUBLIC weak. My 2 cents:) Democracy Sucks for off road individuals who love to off road. The EPA is killing off roading for us all and we need to defund this organization as tax payers for the simple reason that the EPA has gained more power than a Republic designed country needs.
Now I'm sure a Liberal will correct my grammar/spelling and tell me I'm stupid from their basement while sitting in their underwear in moms house with moms wifi wondering why they don't have a job:)
I'm not terribly political and I keep out of it on the FJ forum for sure. That just seems like a long answer(semi-rant) that doesn't really address the O.P.s question. Be careful with the political posts here, they'll shut you down.

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
That last part I agree should be gone and I edited it, but the rest is the real facts political or the truth anyone can decide but I see it as the unbiased truth. please read up on who is closing the off road lands and you will understand:) Just a individual who believes in the republic and knows calling everything against the republic political is political!

Mods if this is a warning well accepted in the last part other wise 1st amendment:) please PM me for the offense if you know I'm wrong a link would be nice too:)

·
Registered
386 Posts
I'm not terribly political and I keep out of it on the FJ forum for sure. That just seems like a long answer(semi-rant) that doesn't really address the O.P.s question. Be careful with the political posts here, they'll shut you down.
FJ&TJ addressed the O.P.s question perfectly and directly you just missed it. They asked what was the best Group to protect our access to public lands, to which FJ&TJ answered Libertarian groups. I tend to agree.:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
8,285 Posts
Mods if this is a warning well accepted in the last part other wise 1st amendment:)
Political and religious threads have a bad history of degenerating into heated emotions and name-calling, so we tend to watch them closely - but as long as the discussion stays calm and respectful then almost anything (that your family would discuss at the dinner table :) ) goes.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I feel you on that. It seems like every year one of my favorites is being threatened with closure. Where are you from?
I'm in Ventura County of Southern California. Our trails are under constant attack.

What's really interesting is I have gone on Sierra Club camping events, and while the Sierra Club itself would love to see all offroad trails closed, they will go on offroad trails themselves to get to hiking trails, nothing too heavy, but still... They'll bring disposable propane cannisters without blinking an eye. I won't even use those. It's a total waste of materials (I use unleaded gas).

Michael

·
Registered
15 Posts
A good place to start is with a local club of your choice, then your state association and then of course the BlueRibbon Coalition :bigthumb: If you're really feeling spunky you can get involved personally as well. Here's a site that can help with that: Land Use

·
Registered
79 Posts
We appreciate the references to us :D

Be involved with local groups and clubs. A unified voice carries much further in land use planning, and the clubs have the ability to offer trail/area adoption, work parties, and co-sponsoring grants.

Other groups, as mentioned:

Tread Lightly! Tread Lightly - Home
Blue Ribbon Coalition BlueRibbon Coalition: Protecting your recreational access to public lands.
National Off-Highway Vehicle Conservation Council NOHVCC

A number of states have localized or statewide groups as well... Being from Colorado, i'm very familiar with their efforts, but do some searching around through clubs and associations in your area.

Colorado Association of 4wheel Drive Clubs, Inc Colorado Association of 4 Wheel Drive Clubs, Inc. - Home
Stay The Trail Stay The Trail Colorado - Home
Colorado Off-Highway Vehicle Coalition Colorado OHV Coalition

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
I actually asked the same question of Stay the Trail a couple of years ago. The answer I got was BRCC and I joined and support them. At the time there was no membership in STT so they did not promote themselves, though you could donate to their effort.

As others have said, start local by joining a club. Often clubs belong to state and national groups and that gives all a bigger voice.

Ace

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
For me, this issue has nothing to do with political party affiliation. Just as with lots of things in this society, that just seems like a cop-out to me to blame it on that. When the rubber meets the road, people will do whatever is 'right' in their own world view, and will get involved with whatever matters, regardless of any normally perceived political party affiliation, and the sooner we realize that, the sooner we'll get more support from places we may not think is possible. :cheers:

Generally speaking, I guess people think of me as being a pretty liberal guy. However, I drive an offroad vehicle (offroad), and love it, and have always supported the effort to keep our access to good offroading locations available for us here and now, as well as for future generations.

Last year, I joined the Colorado Trail Patrol (a program managed by Stay the Trail) in order to get involved directly and to help with this very effort, and started attending the Boulder Ranger District OHV Meetings and reporting back to the FJ community around here so that we can be aware of what's going on, and have a way of voicing our ideas and concerns to the larger group of people that are working on this effort in our area.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Who is the best organization to protect your off road recreation? Any group or organization that believes in Smaller Government and states rights.

Here is a little food for thought introduction

Here is the link to the main page if your interested. http://takingliberty.us/TLHome.html

·
Banned
5,937 Posts
:cheers::clap:

·
Premium Member
1,518 Posts
I wanted to get some input on what the best groups are to join and donate to that are dedicated to protecting the interests of off-roading, as well as, off-road trails. I'm looking for the groups that really have the resources to make a difference, are professional, and efficient with finances

Also I don't see off-roading surviving if we don't "out environmental" the environmental groups. We have to organize our own trash clean up days, tree planting days, forest restoration days, and trail erosion prevention days. What Ducks Unlimited has done for hunting, is what we need to do for off-roading. They have created sustainable wildlife ecosystems, that nobody can argue with.

I have seen far too many trails and off-roading areas disappear over the years, and I don't want us and future generations to be locked out from enjoying this sport.

Michael
After reading thru the entire thread, the OP, Michael1, makes the most sense to me. I like the DU analogy. :bigthumb:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts