Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious, and I know how the audiophiles can get in this area of the forum, and I appreciate that input, but I was wondering what the chances are that a top mounted 5.25 inch speaker with 2.25 inch mounting depth would fit in the dash location? Just for sh*& and giggles. This is assuming that I were to cut out the speaker grill entirely and top mount to the dash basically, rather than the stock location below, which I know will accomodate 4" speakers and their lower mounting depths. Assuming I removed the factory speaker (obviosly) and the bracket I wonder how much space I would have?

This question really has nothing to do with imaging or sound quality at this point, which I know could snowball into it's own flame ridden posts, but more available space. My intention was to mount a 4" Component speaker above this grill (cutting it out possibly) and then the tweeter in the a-pillar because I do like the look of aftermarket grills, silly me I guess. But then as I measured the existing "circle" of the factory grill after I lifted it out, it is about the size for the cutout of a 5.25 inch, which got me thinking. No, I probably wouldnt attempt it anyway, but did anyone try this and learn the hard way? Just curious.

·
Banned
337 Posts
You could widen the area up...as long as that cover goes back on nobodys going to tell, but this is going to be VERY hard...even more so to get it so that the cover actually fits back on. With my Infinity Kappas 3.5" I had to do a little work to get them to sit "flush" with the cover on top of them. I honestly don't see how you could get a 5.25 in there...but I"m sure it CAN be "done"

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I'm sure it can be done, but I guess I was trying to talk myself into it. My plan is to install the old Rockford FNQ series 3 way components, 6.5 in the door, 4" in the dash and tweeter in the a-pillar or on the dash behind the vent area. The 4" has a larger mounting depth than most it's size so in the process of clearing out some space I had the "let's go bigger" moment. After scoping it all out last night though, I'm going to be happy with my component set up and there is no reason to try and do the square peg thing.:cheers:

·
Registered
241 Posts
Yeah I'm sure it can be done, but I guess I was trying to talk myself into it. My plan is to install the old Rockford FNQ series 3 way components, 6.5 in the door, 4" in the dash and tweeter in the a-pillar or on the dash behind the vent area. The 4" has a larger mounting depth than most it's size so in the process of clearing out some space I had the "let's go bigger" moment. After scoping it all out last night though, I'm going to be happy with my component set up and there is no reason to try and do the square peg thing.:cheers:
I have a 3 way MB Quart with 6 1/2 in the door and the 4 inch and tweet mounted coax. I did go 5 1/4 component in the rear pillar and again in the side rear passeger slots. Pics are on the way. Once I got the Alpine PLT5 installed it all came together. Sounds incredible.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a 3 way MB Quart with 6 1/2 in the door and the 4 inch and tweet mounted coax. I did go 5 1/4 component in the rear pillar and again in the side rear passeger slots. Pics are on the way. Once I got the Alpine PLT5 installed it all came together. Sounds incredible.
I would like to see those pics...sounds like the direction I'm heading. I have the Rockford Fosgate FNQ 3 way componens for the front. I bought my pods early for the back seat, made for 6.5's so not sure what I'll do there, but I am most interested to see how you mounted 5.25's in the rear pillars!

·
Registered
241 Posts
I would like to see those pics...sounds like the direction I'm heading. I have the Rockford Fosgate FNQ 3 way componens for the front. I bought my pods early for the back seat, made for 6.5's so not sure what I'll do there, but I am most interested to see how you mounted 5.25's in the rear pillars!
I have been super busy... sorry. I will take pics and post. But I can't take credit for the work. The guys at my audio shop did the trick... Very happy with the results...

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How did you wire the alpine? Did you use the factory sub wiring or did u wire new from the head unit? Just curious if it is possible to splice the factory sub plug to a powered sub. How do you like it? I just got rid of the FJ Bazooka. It was just to much bass for me, so I decided to upgrade all the drivers and see how that changes things. Then, after its all done, consider how or if I will add more bass to the setup.

·
Registered
241 Posts
How did you wire the alpine? Did you use the factory sub wiring or did u wire new from the head unit? Just curious if it is possible to splice the factory sub plug to a powered sub. How do you like it? I just got rid of the FJ Bazooka. It was just to much bass for me, so I decided to upgrade all the drivers and see how that changes things. Then, after its all done, consider how or if I will add more bass to the setup.
Here is first set of 5.... uploading other 2... no Factory switch, used AVIC sub out wired remote bass to the front . As for like... I love it. I can't believe how clean it sounds...

Attachments

·
Registered
241 Posts
Here is first set of 5.... uploading other 2... no Factory switch, used AVIC sub out wired remote bass to the front . As for like... I love it. I can't believe how clean it sounds...
PArt 2.....

Let's hear the comments... THinking about switching out to PDX amps for the look. SQ is very good though so not sure as of yet. Thinking of 150x4 and 100x2 for all power and stop running the rears off the deck.

Attachments

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looks real good. I've read good reviews of it, but also read one that said it sounds like someone is knocking on a door at certain levels. I never believe until I hear w/ my own ears. I also have the Avic D3 and I love it. So it sounds like a rather simple setup running straight from the unit.

So those are 5.25 in the rear pillar?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm in the process of Dynamating the FJ, I pulled all the interior from the front two seats all the way back out this past weekend. After that I'm looking for some input on this setup: http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...i-component-setup-suggestions.html#post929985

I've had my eye on that alpine, but am also considering just a single sub because I really dont want overpowering bass. I also fear that my Rottweiler may need to snack on any enclosure I put back there, so I may not put a sub at all.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I'm in the process of Dynamating the FJ, I pulled all the interior from the front two seats all the way back out this past weekend. After that I'm looking for some input on this setup: http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...i-component-setup-suggestions.html#post929985

I've had my eye on that alpine, but am also considering just a single sub because I really dont want overpowering bass. I also fear that my Rottweiler may need to snack on any enclosure I put back there, so I may not put a sub at all.
Yup 5 1/4 in the rear... and sounding nice. Bass is definately not overwhelming. I wanted SQ not thump. What amp are you going to use for your components? PDX? would love to have a test subject... ahahah Anyway 299 shipped from crutch , authorized dealer, can't go wrong.

·
Registered
241 Posts

Yup 5 1/4 in the rear... and sounding nice. Bass is definately not overwhelming. I wanted SQ not thump. What amp are you going to use for your components? PDX? would love to have a test subject... ahahah Anyway 299 shipped from crutch , authorized dealer, can't go wrong.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts