Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Toyota FJ
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always thought my FJ was a basic Base model, so what does the SR mean? My Tacoma was an SR5, does SR mean it's a Base model? Did they make an SR5 FJ? Or was the TTE an SR5?

·
Premium Member
4,908 Posts
Here you go:

and

·
Premium Member
18,336 Posts
So what's an SR or SR5?
To the FJ......nothing.

A true base model will not have the following features:
Cruise
Rear wiper
ATRAC
Rear Locker ( came standard on the 6MT)
Power mirrors
3 gauge cluster
Tinted windows
400W inverter
Alloy wheels ( steel only)
Subwoofer
Rear speakers

These were few and far between, finding some replacement parts specific to the model is a Herculean task - mirrors, non tinted side/rear glass etc.
These in a 6MT are the rarest of FJs.

·
Registered
2008 Toyota FJ
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My 2008 black diamond 6MT is considered base but I have everything you listed except for sub, rear speakers, inverter, and 3 gauge cluster.

it has TRD 16” allloy wheels and even a trd big break kit and trd quick shifter, A-Trac, and at dealer yesterday said it was an SR/Base model which is where my confusion comes from

·
Premium Member
4,908 Posts
Jar, it is very common for the base model FJs to be outfitted with several, lots or all of the available options.

In general, the special edition models did not provide much in the way of unique options, just color choice, shocks/springs and wheels/tires.

Then, after delivery, owners swapped out parts frequently. Note that except for color choices the unique aspects of the special editions were parts typically changed anyway.

·
Registered
2008 Toyota FJ
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank all of you, I just got confused yesterday at Toyota because 1 of the techs was telling me how rare my black diamond 6mt is even though its a base model. But on all the paperwork it says grade SR and I didn't know what that meant.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank all of you, I just got confused yesterday at Toyota because 1 of the techs was telling me how rare my black diamond 6mt is even though its a base model. But on all the paperwork it says grade SR and I didn't know what that meant.
We have a 2007 6MT and have also been told how rare it is by the dealer. It came with steel wheels. It has roughly half of the above listed features (cruise, rear wiper, power mirrors, ). It did not come with the ATRAC button but did come wired for it so has it now.

·
Registered
2008 Toyota FJ
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I honestly would really like to find out why mine is so rare and if it's rareness effects the value? 2008 Black Diamond 6MT, TRD Quick Shifter, 16" TRD 6 Spoke wheels, A-Trac, Rear Diff Lock, Parking Sensors, Etc.

·
Premium Member
5,224 Posts
I honestly would really like to find out why mine is so rare and if it's rareness effects the value? 2008 Black Diamond 6MT, TRD Quick Shifter, 16" TRD 6 Spoke wheels, A-Trac, Rear Diff Lock, Parking Sensors, Etc.
The dealer tech you talked to considers the FJ rare because they spend 99% of their time working on Camrys, Corollas, Tacomas, 4Runners, RAV4s. Those cars are so common -- selling hundreds of thousands a year each -- that the FJ, by comparison, seems rare to them.

However, it's wrong to think of your FJ as "rare". Toyota sold over 220,000 FJs in the US. They all had the same 4.0L V6 engine (which changed slightly in 2010), ~10% or so had a manual transmission. 2008 is the second most common year for FJs, 24.8% of all FJs in the US are 2008's.

There are 1,086 FJs for sale nationally on CarGurus. Of those, 231 are black. Of those, 202 are 4x4. 21 of those are manuals. How many miles does your truck have on it? I can ballpark you a price based on the ones for sale. If you're near the 12K-per-year average, your truck has ~180K miles which puts it at about ~$16-18K. Pretty awesome for a 14 year old Toyota, but it won't buy you a house in most of the country.

I wrote the buy/sell guide here. Your question about rarity / value is addressed in Section 4A - You heard somewhere that your FJ is valuable. It's more valuable than a comparable year/miles Tacoma, 4Runner, Lexus GX. It's more valuable than a comparable vehicle from Ford, Chevy, Jeep. But it's not a rare collectable sportscar. Most likely, your FJ is just the best used car value you've ever bought. Keep buying Toyotas, they hold their resale pretty well.

FJs that set price records at auctions mostly have three things in common: 2014 (the last year they were sold in the US), Trail Teams Ultimate Edition (the final "special edition") and low miles. And even those aren't that rare, as 11 of them have sold on BringATrailer this year. Don't like the one currently for sale? Wait a month and another one will pop up.

Why are 2014 TTUE's so valuable? Because collectors have been investing in them since you could buy them new. And other collectors are buying them from those collectors now. That's all.

·
Registered
2008 Toyota FJ
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The dealer tech you talked to considers the FJ rare because they spend 99% of their time working on Camrys, Corollas, Tacomas, 4Runners, RAV4s. Those cars are so common -- selling hundreds of thousands a year each -- that the FJ, by comparison, seems rare to them.

However, it's wrong to think of your FJ as "rare". Toyota sold over 220,000 FJs in the US. They all had the same 4.0L V6 engine (which changed slightly in 2010), ~10% or so had a manual transmission. 2008 is the second most common year for FJs, 24.8% of all FJs in the US are 2008's.

There are 1,086 FJs for sale nationally on CarGurus. Of those, 231 are black. Of those, 202 are 4x4. 21 of those are manuals. How many miles does your truck have on it? I can ballpark you a price based on the ones for sale. If you're near the 12K-per-year average, your truck has ~180K miles which puts it at about ~$16-18K. Pretty awesome for a 14 year old Toyota, but it won't buy you a house in most of the country.

I wrote the buy/sell guide here. Your question about rarity / value is addressed in Section 4A - You heard somewhere that your FJ is valuable. It's more valuable than a comparable year/miles Tacoma, 4Runner, Lexus GX. It's more valuable than a comparable vehicle from Ford, Chevy, Jeep. But it's not a rare collectable sportscar. Most likely, your FJ is just the best used car value you've ever bought. Keep buying Toyotas, they hold their resale pretty well.

FJs that set price records at auctions mostly have three things in common: 2014 (the last year they were sold in the US), Trail Teams Ultimate Edition (the final "special edition") and low miles. And even those aren't that rare, as 11 of them have sold on BringATrailer this year. Don't like the one currently for sale? Wait a month and another one will pop up.

Why are 2014 TTUE's so valuable? Because collectors have been investing in them since you could buy them new. And other collectors are buying them from those collectors now. That's all.
just past 139000

·
Registered
2008 Toyota FJ
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
and yes I agree, all I've ever owned has been toyota Tacoma's until I traded a fully loaded 2016 TRD Sport in for my FJ. But yes only 139000 miles on my 2008 FJ

·
Premium Member
18,336 Posts
Its not rare.
It's only called a 'base' simply because it is not a TRD, TT etc.
Techs are probably more surprised because it is a manual which is pretty uncommon now a days.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts