Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
I’m going to say it’s Cardassian blood.

I have no idea, mine don’t have any fluid of any color coming out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
102 Posts
But what’s the green stuff he was referring to

Some Diff fluids are greenish. It's not unheard of for the front diff breather to get some oil in it as it heats up and since it's a fairly small line it gets pushed out instead of draining back down. Will be really bad if the diff was overfilled.

·
Registered
654 Posts
That is interesting, I’ve had mine about 10 years now and have never pushed fluid out of the extended breathers.

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
I could see that happening. Sloshing around and a drop or two gets up in there at the right moment then gets followed by air. A one in a million kind of happening.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Blowing ANY fluid out the breathers is not normal.

First, I'd recommend that the OP go back and carefully check the origin of the "green fluid" that's getting blown " all over the engine".

If the engine coolant is green (rather than the correct Toyota red), check for a leak in the cooling system.

If the breather actually is leaking significant amounts of oil, there are two possibilities:
1. The oil is severely contaminated with water, and the resulting emulsion and high fluid level are blowing out when the differential, transmission, or transfer case get hot.
2. The OP is driving the vehicle in 4wd on the street, and the resulting drive train binding is causing severe overheating go the transfer case.

But my bet is on a coolant leak.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Blowing ANY fluid out the breathers is not normal.

First, I'd recommend that the OP go back and carefully check the origin of the "green fluid" that's getting blown " all over the engine".

If the engine coolant is green (rather than the correct Toyota red), check for a leak in the cooling system.

If the breather actually is leaking significant amounts of oil, there are two possibilities:
1. The oil is severely contaminated with water, and the resulting emulsion and high fluid level are blowing out when the differential, transmission, or transfer case get hot.
2. The OP is driving the vehicle in 4wd on the street, and the resulting drive train binding is causing severe overheating go the transfer case.

But my bet is on a coolant leak.
I would like to see a picture of the fluid. Obviously if it's green and crusty it's coolant.

The most common cause for the front diff to spit some fluid out is overfilling the diff. If you fill it until it comes out the plug it's technically overfilled as Toyota says to fill to about 1/8th inch below the fill plug. If you look on the Tacoma forums it's something that pops up from time to time.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
"If you fill it until it comes out the plug it's technically overfilled as Toyota says to fill to about 1/8th inch below the fill plug. If you look on the Tacoma forums it's something that pops up from time to time."

This is not correct.

Per the FJC factory service manual, the correct range of oil level is from FLUSH with the lower edge of the fill plug hole to as much as 5mm BELOW the edge of the fill plug hole.

So with the vehicle level, filling the diff until the oil begins to dribble out the filler hole is NOT overfilled, and will not cause oil to be blown out the breather.

Unless the vehicle is parked at a significant roll angle when the diff lube is being added, it's essentially impossible to "overfill" it.

FJ front diff lube level.JPG

1 - 13 of 13 Posts