Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know Toyota says its transmission fluid is good for the life of the vehicle, but I've recently heard from FJ owners that it is wise to change it anyway. I've got nearly 160,000 miles on mine. What do you think?

·
Registered
851 Posts
I know Toyota says its transmission fluid is good for the life of the vehicle, but I've recently heard from FJ owners that it is wise to change it anyway. I've got nearly 160,000 miles on mine. What do you think?
I don't know the right answer but I am having my Trans and Engine Coolant replaced in one month at the dealership. My 2010 is at 133,300mi for reference.

By the way, welcome to the forum and there are already a bunch of Trans flush/replacement threads in here for your viewing pleasure.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Many detailed threads here on changing transmission fluid and the consequences of not doing so.

Search "shuddering transmission" and "transmission flush".

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
depends on how you define the 'life of the vehicle'.

I personally think you can guarantee the junking or totaling of an old vehicle by never servicing the transmission...thereby when i comes time to replace it, it is no longer economically viable to do so....hence the transmission lasted the useful economic life of the vehicle.

Me personally, I think I never want to have to replace a transmission from failing to replace the fluid timely and so far in my 41 years of driving, wrenching and owning vehicles, I havent had one auto trans failure yet.

I replace 4 qts a year with Valvoline MaxLife ATF (meets WS standard) in all my vehicles....Honda, Toyota and previously Chevrolet. If you stay up on it you dont have to do a full flush.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you! I really appreciate your knowledge and information on this. I'm going to schedule a full transmission fluid change because I bought the FJ used and am not sure of the maintenance history on it. Better play it on the safe side......thanks again for your input. Much appreciated!

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have a full flush and coolant flush scheduled for next Wed. at the dealership. Price was cheaper than local shops. Around $180‐200 I think and assured they will flush fully with 12-16qts. Have 106,000 miles on mine. Same as you all service done, but couldn't verify trans had ever been done. Bought 8 quarts of ATF. Was going to drop the pan replace filter and gasket and do it myself. Figured with that price from the dealer would let them do it. Wait another 10,000 then drop pan and replace filter. Should then just be able to do the 4qt exchange maybe once a yr and no worries. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I did a drain and fill a couple of times at 100k...it's no more difficult than an oil change aside from needing a way to pump the fluid into the fill hole. I'll probably do it every 30k from here on out, in conjunction with an oil change.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I have a full flush and coolant flush scheduled for next Wed. at the dealership. Price was cheaper than local shops. Around $180‐200 I think and assured they will flush fully with 12-16qts. Have 106,000 miles on mine. Same as you all service done, but couldn't verify trans had ever been done. Bought 8 quarts of ATF. Was going to drop the pan replace filter and gasket and do it myself. Figured with that price from the dealer would let them do it. Wait another 10,000 then drop pan and replace filter. Should then just be able to do the 4qt exchange maybe once a yr and no worries. Good luck.
FYI....trans filter really isnt a filter....just a strainer for large pieces of metal or whatever. No particular harm in dropping the pan and double checking what kind of sediment is in the bottom and how much metal is on the magnets in the pan....but wanted to let you know that you arent getting any benefit from replacing the so called filter.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I did a drain and fill a couple of times at 100k...it's no more difficult than an oil change aside from needing a way to pump the fluid into the fill hole. I'll probably do it every 30k from here on out, in conjunction with an oil change.
I find that those cheap hand pumps from the auto parts stores dont really last long and dont effectively pump gear oil (they are a little better when using ATF) and it seems like each manufacturers bottle top diameter is different from the other...requiring a different hand pump.

So, I have just resorted to using a funnel with about 3-4 feet of clear tubing (can buy at Walmart or most hardware stores). Stick the tubing in side port of transmission and pour fluid into the funnel from the back of the engine compartment...down into the tube and into the side trans port. Need to make sure the tube stays in the side port and make sure the tubing is downhill the whole way, but I have found it easier in the long run that using the cheap fluid pumps.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yep. Got that. Sorry for using "filter." I want to get a full flush then wait a while and drop the pan to check the magnets. Will replace the filter/strainer just because there is no good way to back flush or clean it. Then just do the swap once a yr. Daily driver that will only get 10-12K/yr unless or until the kids get a little older and we go on some road trips.Probably won't drop the pan again for quite a while unless it shows something I don't like.

·
Registered
89 Posts
my entirely unscientific and anecdotal opinion is if you're >100k miles and have never touched the atf, and dont have any obvious issues, doing an entire drain and flush and fill is a really bad idea. just do a drain and refill on a 30k mile or so schedule.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I find that those cheap hand pumps from the auto parts stores dont really last long and dont effectively pump gear oil (they are a little better when using ATF) and it seems like each manufacturers bottle top diameter is different from the other...requiring a different hand pump.

So, I have just resorted to using a funnel with about 3-4 feet of clear tubing (can buy at Walmart or most hardware stores). Stick the tubing in side port of transmission and pour fluid into the funnel from the back of the engine compartment...down into the tube and into the side trans port. Need to make sure the tube stays in the side port and make sure the tubing is downhill the whole way, but I have found it easier in the long run that using the cheap fluid pumps.
Good idea. I actually use a pump-up garden sprayer...you can get a small one for around $10, just take the spray tip off of the nozzle. Works pretty well.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The best way as Serenity mentioned is just run a 5/8 id clear tube to the fill port and use a barbed elbow on the end of the tubing for an inlet into the trans it stays put ,Use a long funnel w a tyrap and secure it to the hood in the engine bay connect it to the tubing take the trans line off the Rad cooler and add some tubing run it into a container marked in quarts run the motor until 2 quarts are in the container shut down and refill 2 quarts until you run out of WS I used 14 quarts anywhere between 12 -16 is plenty

·
Registered
455 Posts
72,000. I could have done it myself but didn't feel like it. Had the dealer flush and change the fluid. I like to get the fluid changed a little more than specified. Clean fluids will give you a much longer life. I also do my own brake fluid flush and change. Coolant 60,000. And lube every oil change, etc. Want to do the front end and rear soon as well. 2012

·
Registered
34 Posts
To add a data point. I just had a trans service done on my 'new to me' 2007 FJ (125k on the odo). I asked the shop to pull the pan and clean the metal filter. The owner of the shop (former Toyota dealer certified mechanic that went indy) was hesitant to do so because it's not something that's typically called for if the truck/trans drives without any adverse symptoms, which it didn't. I just wanted it serviced since it's 12 years old.

After I picked it up he gave me the following info: 1) He suspected the previous owner had never had pan pulled. 2) the fluid didn't look very dirty 3) confirmed this because the two magnets at the bottom of the pan had very minimal metal shavings 4) the metal filter wasn't dirty either.

So yeah, maybe I could have just left it in there for another 10 or 20k miles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Change it. I changed mine at 100k and it fixed my shudder issue. No oil lasts forever, the tranny has a drain and fill plug..got to wonder why. I purchased my Toyota trans fluid on eBay. It's a cheap job for the headaches it can save.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts