Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Drain and fill is the way to go. Do not flush the transmission with 130K+ miles. If dirt or anything becomes dislodged, you can have a clog up somewhere internally... slipping and/or troubles may result. The completely new fluid may not provide enough friction in it and issues will occur. Check the fluid level as being correct, then drain and measure what came out. Refill ONLY with the Toyota brand transmission fluid. If you change the filter/pan gasket, it's 24 bucks at Auto Zone. A drain and fill every 30 to 40,000 is smart. Think of it this way... the ridiculous suggestion of lifetime transmission fluid by a manufacturer must mean we believe in the lifetime warranty offered on the transmission. Ha(!), and probably 4 or 5 grand for a proper rebuild.

Don't forget the gear oil drain and fill on the front/rear differentials and the transfer case.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Just because Toyota makes a good product, it does not mean they are immune to hyping things to increase sales. This "lifetime" trans fluid makes zero sense - near as many moving metal parts as the engine.
My bet is the statement made an assumption of "x years" as the period of ownership, and in America thatperiod of ownership is exceedingly short for most vehicles relative to the ROW.

I have 331,??? miles on my AT FJC.
I change the trans fluid every 80-90k miles.

Believe what you want - everyone has a choice. I believe that moving psrts wear and "lifetime" anything in a vehicle is pure horse defecant.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I did my first trans-fluid just as my warrantee ran out (under on mileage but 2 months over on time) and my torque converter went bad, (got the shudders) there is a post on that. Did my 2nd torque converter at 100k changed the fluid then (at 130k now)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just hit 120k (bought it at 118k), and had all the fluids done, including transmission, transfer, differentials, etc. I plan on doing most of the fluids, including transmission, at least every 30-40k. It doesn't cost a whole lot, and I'd rather be safe than sorry! :smile

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have a 2008 with 49,600. I suspect nothing has been done. Should I do a flush or drain and fill? The vehicle hasn’t really been driven hard. The guy at the dealership mentioned a drain and fill for the same reasons as the post above. He said it could cause problems. My concern with not doing a flush is that since the vehicle is a 2008, has the oil likely broken down due to age so it’s best to get it all out?

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts
I know Toyota says its transmission fluid is good for the life of the vehicle, but I've recently heard from FJ owners that it is wise to change it anyway. I've got nearly 160,000 miles on mine. What do you think?
My 08 was misbehaving at 70k. I took it to the dealer and had it flushed. They argued not to do it, that it was due at 120k. I paid them to do it anyway and no more misbehaving. I have 149k on it now, with no issues. With your mileage I would drain and fill and avoid flushing at all costs.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I have a 2008 with 49,600. I suspect nothing has been done. Should I do a flush or drain and fill? The vehicle hasn’t really been driven hard. The guy at the dealership mentioned a drain and fill for the same reasons as the post above. He said it could cause problems. My concern with not doing a flush is that since the vehicle is a 2008, has the oil likely broken down due to age so it’s best to get it all out?
Less than 50k miles....just do the pan drain and refill. You'll be fine. Obviously your vehicle has been babied so I dont see that it will be a problem. Next year, do another pan drain and refill....rinse and repeat each year.

Again....Valvoline MaxLife ATF (meets WS specs), costs $18 per gal at WalMart.

·
Registered
409 Posts
So, do you just use your FJ for getting groceries?

No oil breakdown - it's excessive heat in the tranny to make that happen...

·
Registered
89 Posts
So, do you just use your FJ for getting groceries?

No oil breakdown - it's excessive heat in the tranny to make that happen...
Sometimes although I prefer the wife to get the groceries. I don’t like the thought of something leaking on my precious vinyl interior even though I have a cargo mat.:rofl:

·
Registered
7 Posts
This might sound a bit silly or expensive but I have found something that works for me and is easy to remember. I have been working as a mechanic most of my life and have always done my own maintenance. Did it to my FJ when I got it. Had 107K on it and the PO told me (and had supporting documents) that all the services were done. I found it wasnt done right or complete. Fluids are getting more and more expensive, but they are still cheaper that engines, trans, or - peace of mind.

First is I always change all the fluids as soon as I get a vehicle regardless of what the PO said was done or was documented (unless under warranty-then dealer doc only) - This includes anything under the Manufacturers 100K interval for sure. That way I know the right fluids are in it, I am ready for a full cycle, you never know what little things you are going to find while you are climbing around under it, and I can get a good look/judgement at how well the vehicle was maintained prior to me. I have worked at many dealerships - just because its documented doesnt mean it was done, or done right. When I worked for Toyota in the 80's 100K was a ridiculous interval - and a new auto trans doesnt look much different than one from the 80's - I have seen toyota auto trans with 25K on them and the fluid was mayonaise - imagine if thats yours and you waited another 75K to replace it?

From then on, I do all the fluids at 25K intervals. Its easy to remember that way. Life gets busy and if you are trying to maintain a lot of cars that you rarely get into (wives, kids, etc..) It easy for them to remember as well.

Changing the fluids on the FJ is such an easy task compared to many other vehicles. Last time I swapped the trans, tcase, and diffs. It took me longer to get the skid plates on and off then it took to swap the fluids.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts