Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
I had a 2007, but never had to replace the bulb.
Only have 2011 backup light info.: bulb#921, 16W, Wedge base Clear

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Sylvania website confirms, backup bulb is a 921.

2007 TOYOTA FJ Cruiser

High & low beam headlamp
9003/HB2

Parking light

Front turn signal

Rear turn signal
992 (7440A)

Tail light

Stop light

High mount stop light
Assembly

License plate

Back up light

Front sidemarker

Rear sidemarker

Map light

Dome light
DE3175

Trunk/Cargo area
DE3175

LED replacement options:
906 921 Interior Lights

921-x12 Wedge Base bulbs Specifications

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah okay. I put these LED lights in as my reverse lights, and i was hoping they'd fit on the FJC in order to pass along the good news. I was highly considering adding additional lighting facing the rear, until i installed these things. They are super bright.

Super Bright 1156 LED Reverse Light Bulbs made with CREE? LED Chips

I think they might have some that work with the 921 style as well.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Will normal aftermarket backup lights be brighter than stock (such as PIAAs)? Or do I need to go LED or add additional lights to make a noticeable change? Don't need to be able to go down a trail backwards, but being able to see my driveway while backing into it would be nice.

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
I just installed some PIAA Xtreme White (but NOT Xtreme White Plus) reverse light bulbs in my 2011 FJ and they're much bluish-whiter, but seem to give off less actual light than the stock bulbs. if it's greater brightness you're after I'd go with one of the other options out there.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
The ones Layonn used are a little pricy, but the PIAA 921-x12 LEDs are only $6/each. I assume we just need one per side?

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
The ones Layonn used are a little pricy, but the PIAA 921-x12 LEDs are only $6/each. I assume we just need one per side?
correct: just one per side.

also, getting the socket/bulb assembly out of and back into its hole in the body is a pain (and the bigger your hands, the more of a pain it's going to be); i've found there's a *little* more room for my hand in there if i face the front of the truck and reach behind me to remove and insert the reverse light assembly.

using some kind of long forceps or pliers instead of your hand would probably be ideal - that way you could also shine a light in there and actually *see* what you're doing rather than just having to go by feel because your hand's blocking your line of sight.

that, or having transparent hands...

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They were only $32 for the pair when i ordered them.

If they make them similar to the ones i am using but for the FJC, definitely worth it. The light output easily looks to be 5 times brighter.

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
If they make them similar to the ones i am using but for the FJC, definitely worth it. The light output easily looks to be 5 times brighter.
and how's the throw of the light? how far can you see by them? my big problem with LEDs is that they're great for things like taillights and turn signals, where their function relies on someone looking at the lit bulb, but they have almost no throw, and so are near-useless for things like flashlights, where the point is to be able to see by the light they give off.

most of the LED flashlights i've used, for example, have a useful throw of about six inches or a foot, beyond which the light falls off really quickly, making the flashlight useless for seeing things at any distance.

the PIAA reverse light bulbs i installed - which aren't even LEDs - look great when you're looking at the back of the truck - they'll let other people know i'm in reverse just fine - but they do a pretty lousy job of lighting up whatever's behind me.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
and how's the throw of the light? how far can you see by them? my big problem with LEDs is that they're great for things like taillights and turn signals, where their function relies on someone looking at the lit bulb, but they have almost no throw, and so are near-useless for things like flashlights, where the point is to be able to see by the light they give off.

most of the LED flashlights i've used, for example, have a useful throw of about six inches or a foot, beyond which the light falls off really quickly, making the flashlight useless for seeing things at any distance.
Hmm, I've had the exact opposite experience with LED flashlights. But I'm very interested in how they work for reverse lights.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts