Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

2941 - 2960 of 2999 Posts

·
Registered
2013 FJ OD Manual
118 Posts
Hopefully it'll arrive in September in time for some adventures.

I ordered the pro with 2 x solar panels.
I purchased Goal Zero products 10 years ago from Costco, now they offer Lithium batter inverters for around 6 bills, much lighter than my Yeti400 but a good alternative power source, a requirement for those with medical conditions & camping...Portable Power Banks, Power Stations & Generators | Goal Zero
Looks like the system you ordered up charges up pretty fast, nice find.

·
Registered
35 Posts
How is that step working for you? Does it feel solid when you're on it? Does it feel like it's sagging the door or damaging it? Thanks
It just arrived yesterday afternoon, so very little time with it. But I can say :
a) it's larger than I thought it would be.
b) it's a lot sturdier than I thought it would be (almost think it could be used as a weapon in a pinch)
I did not notice any door flex when I tried to bounce up and down on it (I weigh 171lbs).

·
Registered
178 Posts
It just arrived yesterday afternoon, so very little time with it. But I can say :
a) it's larger than I thought it would be.
b) it's a lot sturdier than I thought it would be (almost think it could be used as a weapon in a pinch)
I did not notice any door flex when I tried to bounce up and down on it (I weigh 171lbs).
I was going to buy one of those until I watched this.....
I'd personally only use that on the back door.

·
トヨタ Master
7,666 Posts
I was going to buy one of those until I watched this.....
I'd personally only use that on the back door.
I wouldn't even use it on the back door. Or any vehicle for that matter. Those latch keepers and sheet metal were never designed to take that type of load. All it takes is for that spot weld to fail and you're a$$ over tea kettle. Bad idea. Period.

I'd sooner hang a roll-up rope ladder from the roof rack.

·
トヨタ Master
7,666 Posts
Kick out rock sliders make great steps for accessing the roof rack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's what I've got but I don't like them because they stick out too far (APEX). I like the step when I get up there but that's where it ends.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I wouldn't even use it on the back door. Or any vehicle for that matter. Those latch keepers and sheet metal were never designed to take that type of load. All it takes is for that spot weld to fail and you're a$$ over tea kettle. Bad idea. Period.

Welllll, I will give you my full report end of summer! -- I am not seeing any flex.
Time will tell if it's this is a bad idea or if the video fellow is a Chicken Little. ...I suspect the latter.

·
トヨタ Master
7,666 Posts
Post a video of that, will ya?

👀🍿🍺
I could try but don't know how to post my own videos. I haven't been able to since this new format.

·
Registered
229 Posts
That's what I've got but I don't like them because they stick out too far (APEX). I like the step when I get up there but that's where it ends.
I know what you’re saying about the kick outs sticking out too far. It can be an irritation getting in and out of the vehicle and it’s more apparent as you add lift, at least for short guys like me.

But most mods have trade offs and I’d still rather have the added protection. I took a tricky turn on the trail without a spotter back in the day and had a tree so close to the rear panel you could stick a piece of paper through it. Was lucky to come away from the situation with a minor scuff...could have easily been major panel damage. I went with kick outs shortly after and never looked back. I’ve only needed them (other than for accessing the roof rack) a couple times on the trail since then, but sure glad I had them on those days!

·
トヨタ Master
7,666 Posts
I know what you’re saying about the kick outs sticking out too far. It can be an irritation getting in and out of the vehicle and it’s more apparent as you add lift, at least for short guys like me.

But most mods have trade offs and I’d still rather have the added protection. I took a tricky turn on the trail without a spotter back in the day and had a tree so close to the rear panel you could stick a piece of paper through it. Was lucky to come away from the situation with a minor scuff...could have easily been major panel damage. I went with kick outs shortly after and never looked back. I’ve only needed them (other than for accessing the roof rack) a couple times on the trail since then, but sure glad I had them on those days!

No intention of going without protection, just want something slimmer and tighter to the body. I'm height challenged as well.

·
Registered
68 Posts

If you pull the door panel off is the back of the latch accessible? Maybe adding a piece of steel to distribute the load might help with the flex.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
If you pull the door panel off is the back of the latch accessible? Maybe adding a piece of steel to distribute the load might help with the flex.
It is more accessible than the forward nut on the tail lights.

2941 - 2960 of 2999 Posts