Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

37541 - 37560 of 45336 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
They look like the guards for the 3rd Gen Tacomas, but the shock is too close to the mount on the bottom, and the guards are too bulky. I'm guessing that the '10-'14 mounts are further forward to eliminate this problem. Like I said, It's no biggie. I've never hit one so hard that it damaged it in the past and I think the guard being made of plastic is a perishable commodity anyways, and really only protects the bolt head from being rounded off on an obstacle.:cheers:

Did you install the spacers? I overlooked those at first and had issues getting the guards to fit. They're supposed install before the shock to give room to mount the guards.

·
Registered
903 Posts
In late fall I took off my skid plates so I could clean salt off the bottom of the Mule easier. While they were off I stripped the paint, wire wheeled off all the rusy, and re-painted them. Today I put them back on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
トヨタ Master
5,535 Posts
They look like the guards for the 3rd Gen Tacomas, but the shock is too close to the mount on the bottom, and the guards are too bulky. I'm guessing that the '10-'14 mounts are further forward to eliminate this problem. Like I said, It's no biggie. I've never hit one so hard that it damaged it in the past and I think the guard being made of plastic is a perishable commodity anyways, and really only protects the bolt head from being rounded off on an obstacle.:cheers:

Did you install the spacers? I overlooked those at first and had issues getting the guards to fit. They're supposed install before the shock to give room to mount the guards.
Yes, I did, and it was still about 3/4 inch too close for the guards to snap on, so I made some spacers, but then I didn't care for the angle in which the top mounting stud was at under rebound and compression. I'm sure that's the reason they do not catalog this kit for early FJs. I could modify the top mounting bracket, but it makes me just shake my head about modifying the truck to fit the shock, only to be able to use the cheap plastic guard that will be useless in a few years anyway. It just isn't worth it and I own a torch and a plasma cutter if I ever have to remove the bolt from damage. In all fairness, it's a poor design of shock placement on a chassis, that otherwise, is meant to go off road. I'm sure when Toyota was engineering the setup, it was still the most practical location for the lower mount in order to use a shock with the most travel. In my old Toyotas with modified suspensions, I would build a separate cross member behind the axle, from frame rail to frame rail, and situate them in an "A" pattern from the back of the axle up to the cross member, which eliminated them coming in contact with rocks and such. I could perform this modification also, but maybe after the Mrs. is done with the FJ as her daily driver. :cheers:

·
4-Corners Moderator
4,835 Posts
All went well with my oil changes today. New oil and oil filter, and new oil in the front and rear diffs and the transfer case. Jiffy Lube has a sweet deal where you can get all 3 done but you only pay for 2. So thumbs up to that! :bigthumb:

Tech said there really wasn't that many metal shavings on the diff magnetic cap and that it all looked normal which is good to know! Was worried since they haven't ever been changed before as far as I know and my FJ is over 100k miles!

I also had them do a tire rotation but they didn't want to rotate my spare in since it had like 3 or 4 more mm of tread. It had been a while since it was rotated into the mix so it wasnt worn down like the other tires now were, so later I went to a Big O and had them rotate it in for 10 bucks. If I was back in Colorado with more proper tools I would've just done it myself.

I also went to Lowe's and bought some hardware since I didn't have anything holding down the front of my winch in my new Demello bumper. Had to get a specialty square nut to go in the winch and then a hex head bolt since a normal bolt doesn't work for the Demello mounting holes. Might not make sense but at least now it is solidly mounted.

Also got my mail today and I got my custom etched aluminum fairlead from GZilla Designs! Solid product, awesome customer service, great price, fast shipping. Happy customer! Came with hardware too!! But now I neet to drill mounting holes for it in my Demello bumper since those holes dont come pre-drilled which is annoying. Busy day for the FJ.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
I installed it last week but it's a sun visor spot shade I cut out. Covers the void behind the rear view. Last road trip, the light would peak right around the mirror. No more, I say! Also, trying on 8.9" led rounds. Not sure how i like them yet.

And took a break to visit CO and train in the mile high altitude. I'll be out there again in June for an event up at Snowmass. This was shot at Walker Ranch. What a beautiful state!

Attachments

·
4-Corners Moderator
4,835 Posts
Due to my height challenged view, I've been contemplating removing the center dash gauges. Do people still buy those things?

Also installed it last week but it's a sun visor spot shade I cut out. Covers the void behind the rear view. Last road trip, the light would peak right around the mirror. No more, I say!

And took a break to visit CO and train in the mile high altitude. I'll be out there again in June for an event up at Snowmass. This was shot at Walker Ranch. What a beautiful state!
I'm sure someone would buy it since they are a rare commodity but then you'll have a hole in your dash. I big-ish one too.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Now to reset the lights. While I'm at it I'll reset the compass and seat belt warning chimes.
Details please? My compass continues to blink off and on. Can't seem to get it to just stay on. Is there a way to turn off the seat belt chimes? My dog sits in the front, I have a fake seat belt clip I use but really wish I could turn off the chime totally.

·
Desert Moderator
5,603 Posts

·
Desert Moderator
5,603 Posts
Details please? My compass continues to blink off and on. Can't seem to get it to just stay on. Is there a way to turn off the seat belt chimes? My dog sits in the front, I have a fake seat belt clip I use but really wish I could turn off the chime totally.
I'm looking it up in my owners manual now. Seat belt thing only works on the early ones.

There are threads on here about all of this.
There's a plug under the passenger seat for the occupant sensor - just unplug that. It might also tell the passenger airbag not to deploy in an accident, so don't sue me if your passenger loses teeth on the dash in an accident.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
I'm sure someone would buy it since they are a rare commodity but then you'll have a hole in your dash. I big-ish one too.
Good to know. Nothing my BFhammer and angle grinder can't fix... Or make worse :lol: now i need to see what wiring needs to go with it.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Due to my height challenged view, I've been contemplating removing the center dash gauges. Do people still buy those things?
Spacers under the driver's seat mounts, and a booster should handle it, bonus cup holders on this one (don't forget to block the pedals).:wink

·
Registered
4,891 Posts
I'm wiping the interior with that 303 protectant that some of you rave about. I will hold my judgement for a while to see how well it works.

I got the dog bedding washed and in the rear seat again. Phoenix is happy now. She has to build a nest for when we are riding together. Blankets piled high enough that she can see out of the windshield and side.

·
Registered
4,891 Posts
I took mine for a trail ride to my local shooting area to pick up high brass 12gauge shells to reload slugs. Did a little shooting crossed a few creeks had a great time.......it liked it :)
There's an area near my house where I take my dog to run. There's a lot of shooting around there. So far I've gotten >200 rounds of 223, 9mm, and a bit of 40s&w 45 ACP and long colt. I reload all of these.

I should start doing shotgun reloading too. Hundreds of those on the ground.

·
Premium Member
885 Posts

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,656 Posts
Installed Total Chaos spindle gussets (red, of course) and thanks to instructions by @JamesPoop made nice little disco cutouts :grin The only problem I had was with securing the crown nut for the UCA - no room left to get a cotter pin through. I have SPC - what UCAs do you have, James, and did you have an issue with your Allpro gussets?

Attachments

37541 - 37560 of 45336 Posts