Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

37801 - 37820 of 45344 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,895 Posts
I did but I just couldn't bring myself to butchering one that was limited production and thought that somebody else would probably like to have a super low mileage TTUE for themselves to preserve and keep original. I sold it last September to a kid right out of college who wanted it for what it is and didn't want to change anything on it. He'd been saving up for a TTUE for 2 years while going to school and staying away from girls and now he's got his ride, got his career job, and is looking forward to his own adventures in life with his special FJ.
wow, great story. good luck in your search

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,659 Posts
I did but I just couldn't bring myself to butchering one that was limited production and thought that somebody else would probably like to have a super low mileage TTUE for themselves to preserve and keep original. I sold it last September to a kid right out of college who wanted it for what it is and didn't want to change anything on it. He'd been saving up for a TTUE for 2 years while going to school and staying away from girls and now he's got his ride, got his career job, and is looking forward to his own adventures in life with his special FJ.
While I do understand this I was still finding myself getting excited at the idea of a SASd TTUE :browsmiley: Thought you might be considering the one that just came up for sale in WY...it's bound to happen - why not be the first and do it RIGHT? :rocker:

·
Registered
4,891 Posts
I don't really like the idea of driving around with the parking brake engaged, even if it's just the first notch. A dedicated switch is a much more elegant solution, and it's already done.
That is my feelings too. And I don't like driving with a warning light on. I have a switch and turn them on when driving on backroads.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Before you start it, just pull the parking brake up one notch, that will disable the DRL's
Pull up and release or drive with it on one notch? Also, why and how does the parking brake deactivate DRLs?

·
トヨタ Master
5,566 Posts
While I do understand this I was still finding myself getting excited at the idea of a SASd TTUE :browsmiley: Thought you might be considering the one that just came up for sale in WY...it's bound to happen - why not be the first and do it RIGHT? :rocker:
Is this what peer pressure feels like? :lol: I am waiting for them to contact me, but for different reasons. I know the History of that FJ a bit and would entertain the idea of buying it because the price is right. I made $5k on the last one and could probably sit on this one a bit too, and then unload it. I don't think I want to spend mid 30s on something that I'm going to beat the tar out of either, so it doesn't really make sense to do a TTUE. While cool, it's not practical.

Having said that, I am considering a Cement Gray '13 TT, and a slew of other ones. I found a low mileage '08, semi local for a really good price that I'm considering also, but we'll see.

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,659 Posts
Is this what peer pressure feels like? :lol: I am waiting for them to contact me, but for different reasons. I know the History of that FJ a bit and would entertain the idea of buying it because the price is right. I made $5k on the last one and could probably sit on this one a bit too, and then unload it. I don't think I want to spend mid 30s on something that I'm going to beat the tar out of either, so it doesn't really make sense to do a TTUE. While cool, it's not practical.

Having said that, I am considering a Cement Gray '13 TT, and a slew of other ones. I found a low mileage '08, semi local for a really good price that I'm considering also, but we'll see.
Haha yeah guess it was kinda blatant - figured you could handle it! :laugh But the 13TT...now that is #1 on my wish list...would be amazing with what you're planning! What fun....GL!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Had an ome 2.5 heavy lift put on front and rear, but seems to me like it maxed out my suspension. I looked at it yesterday at the local toyota dealership, and now they say it needs a diff drop. To me it's wrong. Had the lift sent straight to the dealership, and told them to put it on when I was out of town. Doesn't seem right for a 2.5 inch lift to do this. Any ideas on why this happened or is it right? I'm kind of sideways about this. Haven't driven it yet, but looks totally wrong to me.

My avatar is the original height before the lift.
Am I just panicking for no reason?
To me it just looks like a lifted FJ
Curious if you had a reason to order the heavy OMEs - are you planning to tow a trailer? If not, and if you don't like the ride then you could easily sell the shocks here, and buy a set more suited for your purposes. That would be a much less expensive solution than bigger tires, and keep your ride height manageable for your wife. Also a diff drop is not a bad idea to help out your cv axles. Final recommendation - find a good garage that deals with modified vehicles!
Found part of the problem. They didn't remove the previous lift pucks from the front end before they installed the lift. Now I believe that the rear end will be about 2" taller once they're done. I'm sure I should have went with something lighter duty on the rear. May just end up putting the other rear Springs back on as they were pretty much the height I wanted in the first place. The cv axle pic is with the diff drop installed. Note how serious the angle is.

Attachments

·
Registered
154 Posts
Found part of the problem. They didn't remove the previous lift pucks from the front end before they installed the
While you're at it. No spacers over the rear spring right?
I'm not at the dealership any more, but i looked at it rear spring setup and didn't notice anything but then again I'm no expert and wouldn't really know what those look like actually. I'm sure this pic isn't the correct angle to tell but I do remember seeing a black cup that the top of the spring sits in.

PS: I did call the dealership and told them to look for that. Thanks for the heads up dude!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
I'm sure this pic isn't the correct angle to tell but I do remember seeing a black cup that the top of the spring sits in.

PS: I did call the dealership and told them to look for that. Thanks for the heads up dude!
No prob.You have to look from under towards the top of the coil. From the rear shot of yours, you can see the OEM cone bumpstop/isolator. Usually the spacer goes on the spring or put it on top of the cone. An example of the daystar rear spacer are the black ones, can't really notice them in the 3rd picture (not mine). The first thumbnail is mine with OME trim spacers. You can see the yellow poking out

Attachments

·
Registered
154 Posts
No prob.You have to look from under towards the top of the coil. From the rear shot of yours, you can see the OEM cone bumpstop/isolator. Usually the spacer goes on the spring or put it on top of the cone. An example of the daystar rear spacer are the black ones, can't really notice them in the 3rd picture (not mine). The first thumbnail is mine with OME trim spacers. You can see the yellow poking out
The black is kind of what I saw. The dealer did call me back saying that there is nothing there but we'll see when I go to pick it up "again".

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
The black is kind of what I saw. The dealer did call me back saying that there is nothing there but we'll see when I go to pick it up "again".

They're probably right if the springs are heavy duties. Hopefully you can get it sorted out soon.

·
Registered
4,891 Posts
One of my 12 volt acc outlets stopped working. This one is always hot. I knew that I was getting power to it as another piece of electronics is tapped into the same wire at the connector.

So I break out my fancy Fluke meter. Yep, getting power. Bad ground then. Nope, I have continuity. Hmmm. It turns out that the socket had slid down a bit in the housing. Therefore the plug would bottom before the center (+) contact was touched. I got things back in proper position and it is now working.

Normally I have a USB outlet plugged in here so that I can leave something on charge while I'm out of the vehicle.

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
Out with the old, in with the new! Installed some 150W Kicker 4" two way speakers in the dash. Fit like a glove. (Kicker model # 40CS44 LINK). Cut the plug off the old speakers and soldered it onto the new ones. Had to pop the cone off the inside of the grill with some snips but that was all it took for modifications. Start to finish 1 hour.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
677 Posts
My reverse proximity sensors stopped working earlier this winter (I think around Nov.) and it was really starting to bug me.
So this afternoon I decided to pull the back bumper off and have a look. Found the wires leading into the passenger side connector pretty torn up, including the plastic loom. (The photo was taken after I cut the loom and pulled it apart)
Either an animal had a quick snack, or 10 years of gravel and rocks getting flung out of the tire lugs cut one of the wires in half.

Didn't have much length to work with, but I was able to crimp a butt connector on and tape it back up. Sensors are working great again!

I need to do this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
64 Posts
Yesterday I started a slow, gradual sound deadening process. First up: the driver-side front door. I installed an acoustic dampening tile purchased from a local audio store, and stuffed hollow interior with heavy multi-purpose foam. Tomorrow the other door, and then this weekend the two suicide doors. Next week, I'll install hood liner. Eventually I'll get around to covering the whole body and roof.

The door definitely shuts much more solidly with a good "thunk", and that region of the rig is quieter.

I used these items:

Blackhole / High Efficiency Dampening Products

Future Foam 2 in. Thick Multi-Purpose Foam-10030BULK2 - The Home Depot

I only chose that dampening foil because it was at the audio shop. Total cost for all four doors will be around $150 (foil) + $15 (foam).

I'll probably go with other, more mainstream brands for future dampening projects to save some money. I was glad to support a local vendor. They also had an FJ they'd treated, so knew just how much I would need. Home

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,659 Posts
Finally got a day that was both above 50 deg and not rainy, so dove into some much needed painting. Shocked to discover how much powdercoat tore off in sheets! All it took was a little scratch and our road glop did the rest....:surprise
So basically removed all the powdercoat from the lower part of the bumper, and in spots on the upper, sanded smooth, sprayed 2 coats of Eastman Rust Encapsulator, 2 coats of Rustoleum Heavy Duty Enamel, and a top coat of Rustoleum Trim and Bumper flat black. Pretty happy with outcome but next winter weather will have the final say :flame:
Also did the sliders and touched up my new MetalTech dual rate coils :grin

Attachments

37801 - 37820 of 45344 Posts