Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

37821 - 37840 of 45483 Posts

·
トヨタ Master
5,795 Posts
Finally got a day that was both above 50 deg and not rainy, so dove into some much needed painting. Shocked to discover how much powdercoat tore off in sheets! All it took was a little scratch and our road glop did the rest....:surprise
So basically removed all the powdercoat from the lower part of the bumper, and in spots on the upper, sanded smooth, sprayed 2 coats of Eastman Rust Encapsulator, 2 coats of Rustoleum Heavy Duty Enamel, and a top coat of Rustoleum Trim and Bumper flat black. Pretty happy with outcome but next winter weather will have the final say :flame:
Also did the sliders and touched up my new MetalTech dual rate coils :grin
For some reason your hawse fairlead and Factor 55 link look like lips and a pacifier. What shade of lipstick is that anyway? :lol:

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Finally got a day that was both above 50 deg and not rainy, so dove into some much needed painting. Shocked to discover how much powdercoat tore off in sheets! All it took was a little scratch and our road glop did the rest....:surprise
So basically removed all the powdercoat from the lower part of the bumper, and in spots on the upper, sanded smooth, sprayed 2 coats of Eastman Rust Encapsulator, 2 coats of Rustoleum Heavy Duty Enamel, and a top coat of Rustoleum Trim and Bumper flat black. Pretty happy with outcome but next winter weather will have the final say :flame:
Also did the sliders and touched up my new MetalTech dual rate coils :grin
Have you ever thought about linex? I had a road armor winch bumper on my first FJ. Started surface rusting through the powder coat almost immediately. The Linex shop coated it front and back for $65 bucks and it worked great. They coated it while they were coating a full size truck bed so I suppose the truck owner paid for the material.

·
トヨタ Master
5,795 Posts
If everything looks good, I'll be picking up my next project today(300 miles round trip). I might have to wear a mask to drive it back here all incognito like so that we can knock the ugly off of it as soon as I get back. At least I'll be getting the factory wheels and all of the original lights also. :lol:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
754 Posts
...Shocked to discover how much powdercoat tore off in sheets! All it took was a little scratch and our road glop did the rest....
I have never been a big fan of powder coat. It commonly becomes unbonded to the substrate and pops off in large pieces, something you don't see paint do. The fix is spray paint which if you started that way at least it would be easily matched unlike powder coat.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I have never been a big fan of powder coat. It commonly becomes unbonded to the substrate and pops off in large pieces, something you don't see paint do. The fix is spray paint which if you started that way at least it would be easily matched unlike powder coat.
I like to have a powdercoat base, that way I don't have to worry about getting spray paint in every little crack of my bumper, which would probably be near-impossible. I have a top-coat of spray bedliner on my bumper, which is super easy to touch up and blends well.

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Same, rattle can FTW. :)

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
For some reason your hawse fairlead and Factor 55 link look like lips and a pacifier. What shade of lipstick is that anyway? :lol:
Can't believe your gonna take that deb. Your FJ is BA! :surprise

:rofl:

·
Premium Member
2,480 Posts
If everything looks good, I'll be picking up my next project today(300 miles round trip). I might have to wear a mask to drive it back here all incognito like so that we can knock the ugly off of it as soon as I get back. At least I'll be getting the factory wheels and all of the original lights also. :lol:
Hoarder. >:D

[This will be FJC #3 , correct?]

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,104 Posts
That's Vampire Red.....watch out...:wink

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,762 Posts
Have you ever thought about linex? I had a road armor winch bumper on my first FJ. Started surface rusting through the powder coat almost immediately. The Linex shop coated it front and back for $65 bucks and it worked great. They coated it while they were coating a full size truck bed so I suppose the truck owner paid for the material.
Yup - now I am!! Lesson learned about powdercoat :crying

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,762 Posts
Well CC she IS my baby! :x But that damn lipstick...she growin up too fast...I've lost control of her :wink

37821 - 37840 of 45483 Posts