Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41721 - 41740 of 46939 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
I worked on the driver’s side first and my project came to quick ending. The two inside pistons are seized and won’t budge when I try to spread them. The outer pistons work fine. Also the top retaining pin won’t budge. The bottom pin came out after some coaxing.
Weird that the pistons wouldn't move...did you use a C-Clamp?

Had the same exact problem with the pins, though. I beat on the tapered end with a punch until the end was flared out. You made the right move just ordering new calipers.

Has anybody used Power Stop callipers? Are they a good choice? I hope so.
Yes. Check the maintenance tech forum, there's a big thread on brakes.

·
Registered
74 Posts
It might just be my eyes playing tricks, but I'm pretty sure upgrading to the ToyTec HD coils gave it more than an extra 1/2" lift in the back - at least when it's fully unloaded. It should sit dead level all loaded up for Ouray.

Really digging the new look, Summit can't come soon enough!
Those wheels are HOT.

I've only had the toytec HD lift but I definitely had a fair bit of forward rake when I installed it. A buddy with an FJ said that was normal with the HD springs. I raised the front coilovers to even it out a bit, but now with my truck drawers and occaisonally pulling a trailer I think it's right where it needs to be.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Weird that the pistons wouldn't move...did you use a C-Clamp?

Had the same exact problem with the pins, though. I beat on the tapered end with a punch until the end was flared out. You made the right move just ordering new calipers.

Yes. Check the maintenance tech forum, there's a big thread on brakes.

Thanks for the quick reply! I used two big flat head screw drivers, which always worked before, and it worked fine on the outer pistons, but the inside two pistons would barely budge and spring right back when I stopped prying them back.

I will check that thread out when I get a chance. I hope the callipers work with the OEM pads I bought..it was late and I was tired so I only thought of that after I bought them DOH! Thanks again

Sent from my NiPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
First, a shoutout to 4wheelparts for having my wheels shipped from Denver in less than 2 days from when I placed the order, picked them up during my lunch break today.

Second, a huge shoutout to @Discount Tire, they got me in last minute this afternoon, a week ahead of schedule, to re-mount my tires on the new wheels and remove the wheel spacers. The major body mount rubbing is now resolved!

I ended up using one of the spacers on my spare mount, but only after cutting a 1/2" off the tire rest. It took my last remaining dremel cutting disk, but it sure beats cutting it manually with a hacksaw, especially in the heat!

It might just be my eyes playing tricks, but I'm pretty sure upgrading to the ToyTec HD coils gave it more than an extra 1/2" lift in the back - at least when it's fully unloaded. It should sit dead level all loaded up for Ouray.

Really digging the new look, Summit can't come soon enough!

Looks AWESOME

Sent from my NiPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
173 Posts
Looks awesome!! So glad to see the basket back in service again. Never would have had the vision to try that color combo, looks really good. Nice work!
Thanks man. Still on the fence on if I should have kept it black or not. I am happy how it turned out though. I am wanting to Line-x the lower bonnet on the hood. Gonna plasti-dip it black first to make sure I wanna go that route. May scrap the color matched bezel and Line that. Appreciate the kind words and for being willing to ship that basket down to Nebraska!

·
Registered
345 Posts
Those wheels are HOT.

I've only had the toytec HD lift but I definitely had a fair bit of forward rake when I installed it. A buddy with an FJ said that was normal with the HD springs. I raised the front coilovers to even it out a bit, but now with my truck drawers and occaisonally pulling a trailer I think it's right where it needs to be.
Thanks! Yeah, I had the non-HD superflex coils and they always sagged when I loaded up for a trip. Frequently got flashed at night too because of the rake with the front sitting higher. So far I'm happy with them, they don't feel much stiffer at all. I'm sure the 2.5 shocks are helping soften things up too. With a decent load in the back it'll handle great and not sag anymore. :rocker:

Looks AWESOME
Thanks! :cheers:

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
Today I loaded up the rig some more for vacation next month, not much left to load really, just the dry food box, stove, solar panel, dufflebag, and load the fridge and freezer.

Also tested out my Overland Solar 120 watt solar panel I bought after Christmas, and I am very impressed with it.
It is overcast here, and it had my auxiliary Optima Redtop battery up to 14.3-4v in no time from around 12.5v.
His panels are famous for gathering in more usable sunlight.

Vacation is getting close, cannot wait to get out for a whole week and test out a lot of new gear since my vacation last year.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Finally, after nearly 15 years with XM Radio (on the FJ since new in 2007), I got tired of all the useless yapping and incessant self-promotions and canceled the service (I thought the whole idea of paying for radio was for them to STFU!). Installed the VaisTech SoundLinq in the FJ today. Rocking with Spotify now. Happiness once again. :D

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,518 Posts
Arrived in Kansas and got an awesome Iconic_Fab rear bumper :rocker: More pics to come!
Awesome :ninja: :ninja: but I thought it would have to be VB :wink

·
Premium Member
844 Posts
Replaced my Toytec standard superflex springs and installed Icon 3" Overland rear springs. Gained about 1/2" even though the springs are the same length.

Attachments

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,135 Posts
Awesome :ninja: :ninja: but I thought it would have to be VB :wink
Had to put up a good fight, but red prevailed >:D

Deb only had time to undercoat the bumper...... :rofl: VB to follow..... after the pink elephants fly backwards out of siberia...
:rofl::rofl:

Cheers
Baz
:blueblob:
Translation - it’s staying red! :redblob: We will see how much - if any - paint I scratch off it running trails in Moab tomorrow :wink

41721 - 41740 of 46939 Posts