Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

42401 - 42420 of 45724 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
Why don’t you like them? I’ve got a set and I absolutely love them
Compared to KO2's they are louder, wear faster, have less traction, and have weaker sidewalls.

The KO2's, in snow, would not slide. I could be cruising at 30mph on snow, hit the brakes hard, and stop. The Duratracs slide when I hit the brakes hard. With the KO2's, if I'm at a stop sign in snow, I turn the wheel one way and gun the gas, I just turn that way and go. I used to enjoy sliding around, fishtailing in the snow. I couldn't slide on the KO2's except in extreme circumstances. The Duratracs seem like ice skates in comparison. I can slide when I'm already moving by pressing on the gas too hard. I slide starting from red lights and stopping for red lights.

I've noticed that Offroad the KO2 has much better traction. My Duratracs only have about 18,000 miles on the 50,000 mile warranty but two are close to bald because they have spent so much time spinning on rocks that the KO2's went up and over with no problem.

The Duratracs have a much weaker sidewalls than the KO2 and that worries me. I believe at Moab Before the Summit this year there were three tire punctures and all 3 were Duratracs.

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
The Duratracs have a much weaker sidewalls than the KO2 and that worries me. I believe at Moab Before the Summit this year there were three tire punctures and all 3 were Duratracs.
I also have KO2s, and performance-wise both on/off road, encountered no problem so far.

But would you consider KM3s?

·
Registered
957 Posts
I love my KO2's. Quiet on road and great traction off road. I wish they were a little cheaper, but I guess you get what you pay for.

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
I had a set of ko2s did not like them for multiple reasons. they are great for empty FJs but when you load them down they had to many sidewall failures. both tires are good tires but each tire has its own personality, if I was playing in the rocks ko2 all the way but for a work truck that does 100k a year of heavy load in all weather Duratrac win for my service trucks.

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
Recent 4 Camera DVR install. One rear facing, one on the rocks looking downward from the skid plate to the rocks, one straight facing from bumper, one over the hood mounted on roof rack.
:clap:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
While at it i added this light set up to the rear roof rack. simple Led's for turn signals and red for stop light and i had Heretic take the bezels off their RZR replacement headlights and powder-coated them orange. Mounted them on top. If you look closely i also installed the rear facing DVR camera in the light box.. These are switched lights, i was going to hook them to B/U lights but i already did that with the rear bumper LED's.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
That's great!!
I've always thought of doing this. But, ya know...life,kids, time. Etc....

What monitor and cameras did you use??

Recent 4 Camera DVR install. One rear facing, one on the rocks looking downward from the skid plate to the rocks, one straight facing from bumper, one over the hood mounted on roof rack.

:clap:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Two questions for the group.

1. Any suggestions on a NAVIGATION system? FJ windshields are already short in height so I am thinking my Garmin GPS which is on it's last legs may need to be replaced.

I'd like to keep steering wheel controls so the unit has to be compatible with that, Sirius XM radio and blue tooth for my phone.

I was looking at one at Best Buy that has a dash cam & rear view cam (recorder) built in.

2. How many have the BUG DEFLECTOR and over the windows vent shades?

Is one brand better than another? ARB, AVS, Autex or other? And which is better for the window vent shades, which is better? The in-channel or the 3-M tape on style?

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
879 Posts
Finished installing my @Diode Dynamics SS6 lights and Air on Board switches this afternoon. The improvement over low-beams alone is astonishing. But they are so bright it's difficult to imagine that they are really street legal. I'm afraid I'm going to get flashed a LOT. I think we'll end up aiming them down past level.

I have the wide lenses and they shoot out almost straight to the sides. The camera phone didn't photograph nearly well enough to do them justice. They are exactly what I was looking for to give me improved lighting to the sides at night.

There are many more pictures at https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/lighting/725980-diode-dynamics-ss6-lower-grille-install.html.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
Some stuff, with way more stuff coming....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,547 Posts
Liked. Unliked. And liked again. There's no double like or thumbs up lol. Drooling on those PRP seats of yours.
Wouldn't you love a LIKE x2? or jamespoop Really Likes this?

I find it hard to like a post about something bad happening to a FJ or its owner. I guess :crying would work, but you'd need to quote it in another post. Helps post count >:D

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Wouldn't you love a LIKE x2? or jamespoop Really Likes this?
I wouldn't mind a custom stamp of approval :blueblob:

Been lazy since the weather is playing tricks. Isn't it autumn yet? My 2way radio was on my bed for the past year so strapped it in place.

Attachments

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,205 Posts
Two questions for the group.

1. Any suggestions on a NAVIGATION system? FJ windshields are already short in height so I am thinking my Garmin GPS which is on it's last legs may need to be replaced.

I'd like to keep steering wheel controls so the unit has to be compatible with that, Sirius XM radio and blue tooth for my phone.

I was looking at one at Best Buy that has a dash cam & rear view cam (recorder) built in.

2. How many have the BUG DEFLECTOR and over the windows vent shades?

Is one brand better than another? ARB, AVS, Autex or other? And which is better for the window vent shades, which is better? The in-channel or the 3-M tape on style?

Thanks,

John

check out this thread

https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/stereo-electronics-electrical/426154-android-stereo-upgrade.html

I am impressed with the nav, expected it to be rubbish, actually it's pretty good.

Also check out Sygic as an App for your phone/iPad/tablet. Again I'm very impressed and it cost virtually nothing for the whole world!

42401 - 42420 of 45724 Posts