Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

43261 - 43280 of 46646 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
1. Got an alignment done.
2. Finished putting together my Expedition One Ultra Mule roof rack.
3. Mounted Aurora 40" light bar on rack.
4. Made custom brackets for the backup camera that will be bolted to the rack.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Any pic of the Aurora light bar?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,993 Posts
3/11/19 Update my previous battery post: I don't want to misinform anyone on how to properly measure your battery. Make sure to measure at the terminals/closest to it for a true reading without the vehicle on (and terminals disconnected if possible). My battery seems to be fully charged as of late. I wonder if my starter is seeing wear. I should probably look into it further. Old battery tested 12.6 off the terminals. New battery was about 12.4. Possibly because it had been sitting on the shelf. When I do my fuse block, most likely will wire the voltmeter closer to the battery for a true reading. Old battery still looks good, may have a load test performed on it at the store.
You have great tastes about meters. Mine is a Fluke 115, I needed something that would also measure frequency, as I had to measure the output of 110 volt 400Hz inverters and capacitance of fuel probes. One word of caution, if I may. The fuse in those aren't a standard automotive type. I didn't put a lead in the proper socket when measuring voltage, it was in the amp socket. Blew a $5 fuse.

A few extra $ for something like yours is fine. Yes a $10 meter from Harbor Freight will work for most things.

A big thumbs up.:blueblob:

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
You have great tastes about meters. Mine is a Fluke 115, ... I didn't put a lead in the proper socket when measuring voltage, it was in the amp socket. Blew a $5 fuse.
Thanks!! And thanks for the heads up. I'll try to avoid that. A cheap DMM would be just as good.
I know my tools at work are often sent for calibration due to industry standards. You and I know being in the industry helps :bigthumb: I was just hoping to make sure others were checking correctly instead of my haste. Made me order a battery, possibly prematurely but at least I can have a battery for home use. :thinkerg:

·
Premium Member
12,205 Posts
Every one around me , super liked the color including me ..

I have the secret code for it

Guys should I make a new thread about it

( I mean Raptor paint )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think you should.

·
Premium Member
12,205 Posts
Just finished installing new front LCA, cam bolts and tie rod ends.

Ended up saving all the factory cam bolts (no cutting) not bad for 13 years old, eh? Installed the new cam bolts because......well they were new, greaseable and I didn't want to return them. The factory LCA - the ball joint was bad but the bushings are still good. Going to install a new ball joint, clean up the cam bolts and now I have a spare set.

Will post pics later.....right now I am going to lie down on the couch and rest.

·
formerly 13FJTT
752 Posts
Just finished installing new front LCA, cam bolts and tie rod ends.

Ended up saving all the factory cam bolts (no cutting) not bad for 13 years old, eh? Installed the new cam bolts because......well they were new, greaseable and I didn't want to return them. The factory LCA - the ball joint was bad but the bushings are still good. Going to install a new ball joint, clean up the cam bolts and now I have a spare set.

Will post pics later.....right now I am going to lie down on the couch and rest.
I might have missed your previous post on this but what was the reason for the replacement of LCA?

·
Premium Member
12,205 Posts
I might have missed your previous post on this but what was the reason for the replacement of LCA?
Worn out ball joints.

With the FJ being my daily driver it was easier to install a new LCA that was loaded with new bushings and ball joint. Not the most economical route by any means.

·
Premium Member
12,205 Posts
Here is a pic of the alignment cams - as you can see only one presented a challenge but with good penetrating oil, the right tool and appropriate language it came out. a little buff and shine and they are good to go.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,205 Posts
Here is one of the LCA not much to really see, I can grab the ball joint with my thumb and forefinger and move it around very easily with most of the resistance coming from the rubber boot.

I will install new bushings and ball joints in them and have a spare set for when I may need them......in 13 years.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
682 Posts

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
I've had it all of 9 hours before I ran into the parking garage and put a hole in the bumper. I apparently rubbed all the "new to me" off!!

Does that count as something I've done TO my FJ?

·
Registered
5,993 Posts
Recently I tried to fill the fuel tank. The key wouldn't slide in to the locking cap. I still had about 4 gallons so not an emergency.

I sprayed some penetrating oil in there and today it was fine. The gas pump on the other hand was slow. I understand how they work and it likely thought that there was a leakage. So 10 minutes later I had 4 gallons more. Good enough. All that I had to do was go to a store and pick up one item.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Got the oil changed and investigated a new noise. Turns out the brush guard finally gave up a bolt and was clanking.

Discussed wheel spacers vs. offset rims with my favorite Toyota mechanic. So I can stop rubbing AND get bigger tires. I'm currently running BFG KO2s at 285 70 17 on my '07.

I finally got all the way divorced and the house sold and I will need new tires soon soooo ... what better way to celebrate?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
Came home to more junk some guy keeps leaving at my door .

Attachments

43261 - 43280 of 46646 Posts